There are 238 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 245,866 times. The latest Post () was by Paula.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Happy pre-Thanksgiving Sunday to everyone! Been busy screencapping and screencaps of Ben's scenes from The Getaway and the 1946 western Badman's Territory are now posted to http://www.benjohnsonscreencaps.shutterfly.com

The Getaway

Badman's Territory

Also added a really nice article from the October 1995 issue of American Cowboy, in the Memorabilia section.

Edited once, last by Paula ().

• The thing about both ben johnson and john wayne is they made the most out of the simplist scenes and made it work Paula

• Exsoldier, this is a note written by Ben that I managed to get from ebay. I would say that his philosophy of keeping it honest and real applies to John Wayne as well and that's why their performances are always so natural and true, whatever character they're playing -- and why they made such a great screen team.

P.S. I just posted some caps of Ben's scenes from Sam Peckinpah's Noon Wine -- my copy is a very poor quality black and white dub of the original color videotape, but for the moment, it's better than nothing. You can view Noon Wine at the Paley Center for Media in NY and LA. I wish it were out on DVD -- you'd think it would be given the interest in Peckinpah.

• Just added screencaps for Ben's second Have Gun Will Travel episode, "The Race." The second half is action-packed, with a horse race (so who else to cast but Ben Johnson), all sorts of stunts and a tremendous fistfight -- but exciting though the action is, the real story has to do with the motivations for the race and what it means for all the characters. A really fine episode.

http://benjohnsonscreencaps.shutterfly.com

• Among other things (including magazine articles, like a long interview with Ben in Filmfax magazine), recent additions to my Ben Johnson page are screencaps from Ben's scenes in Will Penny

and The Train Robbers (which means a good chunk of the movie) ;)

I did a mini-comparison of some shots from She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and The Train Robbers. I don't know if Burt Kennedy was deliberately "quoting" SWAYR or not -- they're just shots of two men on horseback -- but still... the resemblance is eerie! And very nostalgic. Go to the page, click on the Movies section, and you'll see what I mean. :)

http://www.benjohnsonscreencaps.shutterfly.com

• EthanEdwards -- I made sure to include that screencap of Jack Pennick since he's a Ford Stock Company member. ;)

Thank you, Ex-soldier. :)

The most recent additions are screencaps of Ben's scenes from...

Ruckus (1981) (With Richard Farnsworth)

Nevada (1944 -- doubling for Robert Mitchum plus extra work in one scene)

Ruby Jean and Joe (1996) (With Tom Selleck)

A wonderful article from the August 1989 issue of Western Horseman that has a beautiful cover painting of Ben by Dwayne Brech.

Also, a special treat, a photo of Ben and his wife Carol at home, in the early 1990s. This picture was taken by Carol's cousin Harry O'Neal. His son Doug kindly sent it to me with permission to upload it to my Ben page, so you'll have to go there to see it. :)

• Thanks for the info Mike,
    the book in fact was published, January/February 2010

Large cover

The Nicest Fella - The Life of Ben Johnson

The world champion rodeo cowboy who became an Oscar-winning movie star

By Richard D. Jensen

* Also available as:
    E-Book
    * Published: February, 2010
    * Format: Perfect Bound Softcover(B/W)
    * Pages: 516
    Size: 5x8
    * ISBN: 9781440196782

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Jensen's book The Nicest Fella is a very good introduction to Ben Johnson and his family. Jensen interviewed Ben's sister Helen and also had access to interviews with other family members. He also includes a biography of Ben's father Ben Sr., a legendary roper, rodeo champion and ranch foreman with all sorts of fascinating family details. There is information in it that I haven't been able to find anywhere else. At times it relys heavily on Harry Carey Jr.'s book Company of Heroes and some second source material, but everything is footnooted, for which I am grateful. A lot of bios come out these days without footnotes.

On the downside, the book has a lot of typos and I have found a number of minor factual errors. But for the most part it gets things right.

The books and some other books of interest to Ben Johnson fans are on my webpage in the Books section.

• Just a short note to say I've posted a lot of stuff to my Ben Johnson page lately, including an interview in the January 11, 1948 edition of The Los Angeles Times (surely one of Ben's earliest interviews), photos (including one from Yellow Ribbon and one from Rio Grande), lobby cards and magazine articles, and some links to blogs that mention Ben. I haven't done any screencapping of his movies lately because I was screencapping a film noir for the upcoming For Love of Film Noir Blogathon to raise money for the Film Noir Foundation but I'm finished with that now and it's back to Ben's movies. (The film noir I did was On Dangerous Ground which has some Ben connections: Leading man Robert Ryan was in The Wild Bunch; Olive Carey and Ward Bond play a married couple whose daughter is murdered; the character "Pops" is played by Charles Kemper, who was so memorable as eeee-vil Shiloh Clegg in Wagon Master, and the small role of Hazel is played by Joan Taylor, who played Mexican-Indian Riva in War Drums.

One of the lobby cards I posted (much bigger version at the webpage), with Joan Taylor as Riva:

A life magazine article on One-Eyed Jacks with a photo of Ben hanging upside down by one foot (OUCH). Apparently Bob Emory was supposed to come to a slightly different end than the one in the film released into theaters.

• Lasbugas' wonderful scans have inspired me to post here the most recent scans I have added to my Ben Johnson webpage (http://benjohnsonscreencaps.shutterfly.com). I've got lots of new stuff there so come on over if you haven't visited in a while.

Don't know what this was for but it's one of several photos I got from the Allentown, PA newspaper The Morning Call, which apparently is selling off its photo archives.

Mighty Joe Young

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Wagon Master

• Hello. Today, April 8, is the 15th anniversary of Ben Johnson's death. As a tribute I have posted to my webpage a wonderful poem about Ben written by cowboy poet and entertainer Larry Maurice. If you'd like to read it, come on over to http://benjohnsonscreencaps.shutterfly.com.

Also, there will be a one-day Ben Johnson Film Festival in Pawhuska, Oklahoma, on June 11. They're going to show (John Wayne alert!) Chisum and Bite the Bullet. Some of Ben's family members will be in attendance at the two screenings and there will also be a large display of memorabilia. I will have more information on this hopefully within a few days and will post again about how to get a ticket, etc.