The Alamo (1960)

There are 626 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 527,632 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Larry, that is one of my favorite Alamo stills. The smoke, the grime, the fatalistic looks, yet with certain death right behind them, they're looking for avenues to postpone the enevitable.
    It's a terrific moment. My only quibble is that there should be a lot more bodies of defenders, horses and dragoons this side of the palisade.
    Keep them coming.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Larry, that photo and others like it, are one of the reasons that this site thrives and continues to enlist new members.

Keep 'em coming.

We deal in lead, friend.

• While this site has had an extended discussion about the restored scenes in the director's cut and the various running times, I want to collect a list of scenes that were filmed but not included in any version of the movie.
    I know that these scenes were filmed from viewing pictures or some footage from the Brian Huberman documentary.
    Houston's arrival and departure from Bexar was trimmed. There were foot soldiers (as mention in the movie) and muddy horse drawn cannons.
    Crockett's Tennesseans arrive in town in their fooferaw. Crockett says something in Spanish to a citizen. Later in the movie Beekeeper refers to this by saying that he speaks some of that proud Spanish too.
    There's a cancan dance in the cantina.
    When Crockett steps out of the cantina, some of his men spill onto the street in a brawl over a dancer.
    Mexican lancers scouting ahead of the main army stop and speak to a Mexican family. The family passes word to another man and tells him to warn Bexar. This is later referred to by Travis when he says that some Indian told some varquero...
    Crockett tells Parson to pack Flaca's things.
    While shoring up the defenses, Smitty hits Carol Baxter's character with the log he is carrying. Olive Carey's character throws a bucket of water on Smitty.
    The ladies decorate Lisa's birthday cake at night.
    Smitty sings Here's to the Ladies at the party and Jocko and Blind Nell dance.
    The defenders meet outside the fort before the raid for cattle to discuss the raid.
    Jethro sings the Green Leaves of Summer the night before the attack. That's why he is carrying his guitar when Bowie frees him.
    "It do" loads the cannon with shrapnel after they run out of cannon balls. The recoil is violent and you can see the result of it in the film as the cannon is flipped off the wall.
    Defenders are shot off the stairway to Travis' headquarters.
    Mexicans turn the 18 pounder onto the barracks.
    Crockett strips a lance head from a lancer and throws it into the chest of the next one.
    Bull's death is longer as he swings a log at a horde of oncoming Mexicans. In the film you just see a glimpse of it.
    If any one has additional scenes backed by photos or evidence that they were actually shot, I'd really like to hear about them.

We deal in lead, friend.

• "Smitty sings Here's to the Ladies at the party and Jocko and Blind Nell dance.
    Jethro sings the Green Leaves of Summer the night before the attack. That's why he is carrying his guitar when Bowie frees him."

I think both the above situations occur in the "Spirit of the Alamo" TV special, which was filmed before the final battle scenes.

• Almost forgot, Frankie's singing "Here's to the ladies" also occurs in the director's cut at the end of the birthday party sequence.

• Hi. I've never seen Spirit of the Alamo so I can't comment as to what is in it. The night of the birthday party had a lengthy scene with various actors dancing. I've seen several stills of it and Jocko and Nell are prominent. I think Lasbugas even posted a shot on this thread.
    I've seen only two stills of Smitty sitting on the stairs to Travis' headquarters with what appears to be "The Alamo Band" and I thought it matched with where he was located in the director's cut finishing Green Leaves. I'll have to re check.
    Jethro definitely sang Green Leaves just before the high class discussion. I have a photo of him playing and singing and around him are the "Bunkum and Bosh" guy, Beekeeper and others. In the film the chorus picks up the theme after he finishes.
    Thanks for your time and interest. This movie of Duke's has fascinated me for decades. If you don't already own it, try to get Pfeiffer and Worrall's book "The Alamo - A Visual Celebration of John Wayne's Classic Movie".

We deal in lead, friend.

• Very nice indeed Bill.

This can go on the Duke Poster place as it's in colour! ;)

I know it's not a poster, or lobby card but it's worth of going on there.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"