Have Gun - Will Travel (1957-1963)

There are 135 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 99,449 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I've taken the liberty of asking the son of famous stuntman Hal Needham, David Needham, to join us here. I thought he might enjoy our company.

Here's a direct quote from Hal Needham via his son, David, regarding the riding proficiency of Richard Boone:

As for Mr. Boone's horsemanship, Dad said after he came on board he worked with him to improve his posture on his horse. It wasn't that he insisted on 'old' horses, but you need to have a 'calm' horse that won't spook or move around when you come up to the camera. If you have a horse that's wild and moving all over the place, it would take all day just to get through a scene.

He said Boone was actually a pretty good horseman overall. He also said, as for the guy making these false statements :bs: about Boone and his horses: 'He's full of ----!'

There you have it from Hal Needham himself. RB hated horses but he could ride them. :cowboy:

We're burning moonlight.

• I've taken the liberty of asking the son of famous stuntman Hal Needham, David Needham, to join us here. I thought he might enjoy our company.

Here's a direct quote from Hal Needham via his son, David, regarding the riding proficiency of Richard Boone:

There you have it from Hal Needham himself. RB hated horses but he could ride them. :cowboy:

That's great news, and he will be most welcome to join us.
    I have also copied your post to
    Pals Of The Saddle- Hal Needham

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• It was written by Johnny Western as a thank you to Richard Boone and Andy McLacklaghlen (sp?) for the episode in which he guest-starred. The music was added retroactively to the earlier episodes. It was in the episode No Visitors.

I noticed the theme disappeared after that episode. I was wondering when it would be used again? :-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• No Visitors

Typhoid? Cholera? Death on a dark horse? No, it's Paladin!

Typhoid isn't spread from person-to-person, it spreads via contaminated water from infected stools and bad septic fields. All the fears of the people in the town were completely unfounded. This discovery was made in 1854 by John Snow, but it took 30 years to be accepted and another 50-75 years for public health developments to solve the problem of clean drinking water and sewage treatment facilities. Of course this doesn't apply to Third World countries where cholera still exists and kills. Rehydration therapy solves most of the problems that come with typhoid and cholera these days.

Another reviewer complained that Grant Withers as Mulrooney failed to provide the required menace in his part. This writer recalls clearly the demonisation of people suffering from such recent plagues as HIV and AIDS who were homosexual were considered to deserve their dreadful fate. Does Mulrooney differ from them? Withers showed quite enough menace in his role as a hateful demagogue.

Today's headlines are full of rhetoric from those who fail to keep church and state separate. Combining the two are a bad idea. Here's why: if the two are combined, which version of church are we going to use, yours or mine? I've met white supremacists who think their church belongs in school. Not on my watch.

It's clear that Mr Mulrooney had an agenda: he wanted Clara Benson for his wife. That was a fate worse than death, Mulrooney being a malevolent bushy-haired loony. When she refused and her baby fell ill, that was enough to drive her from the wagon train society and abandon her two day's ride from the nearest settlement. Had not Paladin ventured by, Mrs Benson and her child would have perished, from lack of water if nothing else.

June Lockhart is the town doctor in this episode. She's absolutely beautiful and she turns in a wonderful performance. Whit Bissel is the storekeeper and Ruth Storey is Mrs Clara Benson. Pay close attention to the breakfast table scene, there seems to be a bit of improv involved.

Richard Boone as Paladin flexes his dramatic acting muscles against all the small-minded townsfolk, forcing them to see how wrong they are in their actions. One of them saves Paladin's life.

Paladin falls to a microorganism in the end, poor sod. Of course, he considers himself fortunate.

Paladin's Horse: Bay with front white stockings and a white face stripe. From now on this horse will be referred to as Einstein for reasons which will later become clear. Note: this horse is called Curley

Paladin's Gear: Black concha hat, black Western shirt open at the neck, black trousers, black holster with Colt. The spurs are back in this episode.

Goofs: Paladin enters the store and a hand appears at the bottom of the door to hold it shut.

Paladin Shoots: Mulrooney (a backshooter)

Deaths: 1, Mulrooney

Killed By Paladin's (Total): Manfred Holt, Jailbreak Team 3, Miguel Rojas, Strome's lackey, Mulrooney Total Kills: 7

We're burning moonlight.

• The Englishman

Sam Rolfe and Herb Meadow

The Biter Bit

This episode would never make it to the screen today. Too many stereotypes to count in this one. The skin lodges (teepees) in the town, the 'firewater' the giant feather war bonnet would never be worn on a fake raid, the Englishman wearing shorts in Montana, a woman running a ranch alone who can't wait for a man to arrive and take everything over, it goes on. The war dance around the keg was over the top, and wasn't it illegal to give whiskey to Indians? Absent the stereotypes the episode could have been enjoyable.

A practical joker plays 'jokes' that are more cruel than amusing. Alix Talton (Felicia Carson) was a former Miss Georgia, but she lacks any sort of proper southern accent. She sounds more Midwestern twangy and unpleasant. She may have been coached out of her natural speech. She should have been left alone, her voice is most unpleasant and grating to the ear. Paladin's relationship with the English gentleman is the most interesting bit of this one, and it's dull and predictable.

Paladin's Horse: Rafter, played by Curley. (Bay with front white stockings and a white face stripe.)

Paladin's Gear: Black Conchita hat, black Western shirt open at the neck, black trousers, black holster with Colt. The spurs are back in this episode.

Paladin Shoots: No one.

Deaths: 0

Paladin's Total Kills: Manfred Holt, Jailbreak Team 3, Miguel Rojas, Strome's lackey, Mulrooney

Total Kills by Paladin: 7

We're burning moonlight.

• The Yuma Treasure

Gene Roddenberry, Herb Meadow

Indians and Rattlesnakes and Beefcake, Oh My!,

It was just a few days before Christmas. What a gift to the ladies of the Fifties: Richard Boone stripped to the waist!

Who in Hollywood today would be audacious enough to handle a living fanged venom-bearing rattlesnake? Richard Boone was a brave man, or he was insane or he was insanely brave. The viewer must decide. He walks up to a venomous snake, a living diamondback rattlesnake hanging from a tree, grasps it in his bare hands and holds it over his head for the next two scenes. Would an actor today perform this heroic feat? More importantly, would the insurance company allow it?

Paladin accompanied an Army commander into Indian country to try to make peace between the Army patrols and the local Maricopa Indians. The commander had an agenda and when the wounded Indian returned to camp, Paladin turned his back and got whacked on the head.

In the next scene Richard Boone as Paladin lies stripped to the waist and staked spread-eagled in the desert. Boone had been a gifted athlete but he'd never bothered with beefcake shots as other actors had done. He was the first Western television star to remove his shirt. Indians soon staked out other Western actors, but Paladin was the first to be staked out on his back in the sand and show off his torso. At age 40 Boone's torso was still worth a look. There's little to add except to be very grateful to Gene Roddenberry for the scene. Beefcake is always to be appreciated. This is one of only two occasions when Boone appeared shirtless in this series. No accusations of objectifying him for his art will be made.

Paladin's horse comes to the rescue to get him out of this trouble. This is completely out of character for HGWT. Paladin is the focus of every episode, never the horse he rides. According to the book, Silent Hoofbeats, this particular well-trained mount was called Curley.

Paladin doesn't sing or play the guitar or do any of those other Western clichés. He rarely uses a rope to lasso anyone or anything (episode The Kid notwithstanding), so the help from this well-trained equine is the first and only time we see Paladin rely on his horse to get out of trouble. Paladin does not call the horse by name, either.

The conflict over the gold is trite, but the rattlesnake and the stakeout make this well worth viewing. It's true that people are greedy and filled with gold lust. Major Wilson trying to recall Paladin from West Point amuses. This is the first hint that Paladin is a nom de guerre.

Paladin's Horse: Curley, a bay with front white stockings and a white face stripe. Curley should be called Einstein.

Paladin's Gear: Black concha hat, black Western shirt open at the neck, black trousers, black holster with Colt. The spurs return and appear to be a different style in this episode.

Paladin Shoots: No one. Major Wilson is an accident. He doesn't count in the death toll.

Accidental Deaths: Major Wilson

Paladin's Total Kills: Manfred Holt, Jailbreak Team 3, Miguel Rojas, Strome's lackey, Mulrooney

Total Kills by Paladin: 7

Paladin Wounded: 0

Paladin Concussed: 1

We're burning moonlight.

• It returns, my friend. It will return. There are only about 7 episodes in which it isn't heard. :wink_smile: Be patient, it won't be gone for long.

Heh heh, it did. i think it was in the Teacher episode? which was a good one BTW. Had Andrew Duggan, Jack Hogan, Peter Breck in them as Confederate Vets & Jack Albertson.

• It returns, my friend. It will return. There are only about 7 episodes in which it isn't heard. :wink_smile: Be patient, it won't be gone for long.

I know one show at a time but--you wouldnt happen to be doing this for Rawhide are ya? I havent bought season 1 yet but have been eying it since its for sale for two sawbucks at the: Cracker Barrel Restaurant ;-))

• They're here, they're here! At long last my DVD collection of HGWT is complete! I'm so happy I'm singing praises and thanking the Lord! My heart is singing! I'm not even angry about the extra 2 years between the release dates any more.

Now, as time permits and my son's health allows I can finally go through all the episodes and finish reviewing all. That project was begun last year but my son fell seriously ill again and that took my attention.

I notice that Amazon has a placeholder for HGWT Blu-Rays. With my excellent up-scaling Blu-Ray player I'm not certain how necessary they would be but if they come with any extra content at all I say bring them on! I'm in for the total HGWT experience and anything extra is worth the additional expense.

We're burning moonlight.

• Just watched Have Gun- Will Travel- A Proof of Love.

This series was a great favourite of mine, when first around.

Having read the previous great reviews of the other episodes,
    I was looking forward to the action.
    Alas it was not there, and the 'Gun for Hire' not even out of it's holster!!

A young Charles Bronson appears early on and stars in this
    along with a youngish George Kennedy.

It all got very silly with lost of singing, yelping and dancing,
    with Bronson being even sillier!

Paladin apparently fluent in Greek language and dance!
    How I don't know and it was not explained!!
    Did folk from the States travel to Greece in the wild west days??

When the action came there was a staged fight
    that was like watching clowns in a circus.

Hoping the other episodes I watch do better!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Just watched,
    Brotherhood

Starring a young Charles Bronson as a Red Indian Sheriff,
    who to complicate tings had a brother who was still an Indian.

Apart from that silliness, it was a half decent episode,
    and Paladin actually used is gun.

how Paladin lived baffles me,
    as he didn't charge his bigger fee!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Watched another couple of episodes.
    A Place for Abe Wills
    Caravan

Caravan a bit silly, and I am still unsure who actually pays Paladin,
    and how he makes a living.!!
    Certainly in these two, he didn't receive a fee!!

Ah well, still brings back memories, to watch them.

Great theme song

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I copied this from a post Bill, (Gorch) made elsewhere. Thought some of you would be interested in it. I had watched all that Netflix had a couple of times and some episodes like the way Paladin became what he was
    and the two parter about Jody Town, a great many times. That was a fantastic series. It did have a great many young actors in it who turned out to be stars and some that were already big stars.

Hal Needham is also the one responsible for taking an essentially NON WESTERN type man like Boone and turning him into a most convincing western one. He was always giving him lessons in riding, just being around a horse comfortably, fighting, handling a gun or knife, and many other things. Whereas, Dick taught him to act. A super pair they were. Too bad the episodes were only a half hour. But, somehow, they managed to get great stories into that small amount of time beginning with Paladin getting the notes from Hey Boy to the conclusion of the story. Too bad Netflix no longer carries it as I don't have cable or satellite. Keith
    Re: What Was The Last Western You Watched?

[INDENT] Encore Westerns runs two episodes of Have Gun Will Travel every afternoon. Today I had a chance to run a batch of them and was reminded of the number of "stars to be" that were featured, many of whom appeared again together. One had Strother Martin as a whining town official who was murdered by James Coburn (of course, who hasn't killed Strother on film). They both later appeared in the fine Walter Hill Film "Hard Times".
    Charles Bronson showed up to have a fistfight with George Kennedy, both of whom were in "The Dirty Dozen"
    Ron Soble tried to maul Jack Weston with fighting spurs long before "The Cincinnati Kid".

I always try to identify at least one supporting player in every episode and scan the credits to confirm my guesses - these are about 50 years old, after all, and some of the actors. like Louise Fletcher and Dyan Cannon are very young. My fallback is stuntman/director Harold (Hal) Needham who performed most of the stunt work and was an all purpose Indian lurking in the background.

We deal in lead, friend. [/INDENT]

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Watched two more episodes,

Everyman
    &
    Jonah and the Trout.
    Strange episode, where Paladin suddenly
    becomes an expert deep lake diver!!

Jonah is played by an unrecognizable Harry Carey Jr.

not a bad story

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Poker Friend

Features a young Pete Falk & Warren Oates.

Paladin amazes me, an expert at everything,
    the last one I watched he was a diver,
    this one an ace poker player.

Well at least in this episode he got paid!!

Great stuff

Many available on
    Westerns on the Web
    Just scroll down to
    Have Gun- Will Travel

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Have Gun - Will Travel
    A Drop of Blood

A bit of a nonsense
    when Paladin is invited to be best man
    and ends up dancing at a Jewish wedding.

The storyline a bit shaky and not convincing

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Just watched

Have Gun - Will Travel
    Three Sons

Director:
    Andrew V. McLaglen

Featuring
    Warren Oates as John Bosworth

Have Gun - Will Travel