The Three Stooges

There are 24 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 20,684 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Their official web-site
    The Three Stooges

The Three Stooges were an American vaudeville and comedy act
    of the early to mid–20th century best known for their numerous short subject films.
    Their hallmark was physical farce and extreme slapstick.
    In films, the stooges were commonly known by their first names:
    "Moe, Larry, and Curly" and "Moe, Larry, and Shemp," among other lineups.
    The film trio was originally composed of Moe Howard,
    brother Shemp Howard and longtime friend Larry Fine.
    Curly Howard replaced brother Shemp, who later returned when
    Curly suffered a debilitating stroke in 1946.
    After Shemp's death in 1955, he was replaced by comedian Joe Besser,
    after the use of stuntman Joe Palma to record several "Shemp" shorts after his death.
    Eventually Joe "Curly-Joe" DeRita (born Joseph Wardell) replaced Joe Besser.
    Larry suffered a serious stroke in 1970, and was unable to continue performing.
    Emil Sitka, a longtime actor in Stooge comedies, was contracted to replace Larry,
    but no film was ever made with him in the role,
    although publicity photographs exist of him with his hair combed similarly to Larry's,
    posing with Moe and Curly-Joe (see below).
    However, Larry's paralyzing stroke in 1970 effectively marked the end of the act.
    He died in January 1975.
    Moe died of cancer a few months later.
    From Wikipedia

MOE HOWARD
    Born: June 19, 1897 in Bensonhurst, New York
    Died: May 4, 1975 at the age of 77

Moe Howard was born on June 19, 1897, in Bensonhurst, New York,
    a small Jewish community on the outskirts of Brooklyn.
    Moe's real name was Moses Horwitz.
    Moe's mother's name was Jennie Horwitz, and his father
    was clothing cutter Solomon Horwitz.
    Moe was the fourth eldest of five Howard brothers.
    Two of Moe's brothers, Jerome (Curly),
    and Shemp performed with him as members of The Three Stooges.
    Moe's other two brothers, Jack and Irving, never entered show business.
    Click here to read more

LARRY FINE
    Born: October 5, 1902 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Died: January 24, 1975 at the age of 72

Larry Fine was born Louis Fienberg on October 5, 1902
    on the south side of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
    His father, Joseph Fienberg, and mother Fanny Lieberman,
    owned a watch repair and jewelry shop. Larry had two brothers,
    Morris, a younger brother Phillip who died prematurely, and a sister,
    Lila, who became a school teacher.
    Click Here To Read More

CURLY HOWARD
    Born: October 22, 1903 in Brooklyn, New York
    Died: January 18, 1952 at the age of 48

Curly Howard's real name was Jerome Lester Horwitz.
    He was born to Jenny and Solomon Horwitz on October 22, 1903 in Bath Beach,
    a summer resort in a section of Brooklyn.
    He was the fifth and youngest of the five Horwitz brothers.
    Curly's interest in show business grew as he watched his brothers,
    Shemp and Moe perform as stooges in Ted Healy's act.
    After Shemp left the Healy act, Moe suggested to Healy that his kid brother
    Jerome was available and would make an excellent replacement for Shemp.
    Click here to read more

SHEMP HOWARD
    Born: March 17, 1895 in Brooklyn, New York
    Died: November 23, 1955 at the age of 60

Shemp was born Samuel Horwitz in Brooklyn, New York on March 17, 1895.
    He acquired the name "Shemp" when his mother, with her broad European accent,
    would call him "Sam," which sounded like "Shemp." Shemp graduated from P.S. 163
    in Brooklyn. Shemp enrolled along with Moe at the Baron De Hirsch Trade School
    in New York where Shemp took up plumbing and Moe studied to be an electrician.
    Click here to read more

JOE BESSER
    Born: August 12, 1907 in St. Louis, Missouri
    Died: March 1, 1988 at the age of 80

After Shemp Howard died in 1955, the Stooges replaced him with Joe Besser.
    Joe Besser was born in Saint Louis, Missouri on August 12, 1907 to Fannie and Morris Besser.
    His parents were Orthodox Jews and moved to the United States from Poland in 1895
    where Morris worked as a baker.
    Click here to read more

CURLY JOE DERITA
    Born: July 12, 1909 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Died: July 3, 1993 at the age of 83

Joe DeRita's real name was Joseph Wardell. He was born July 12, 1909 in Philadelphia,
    Pennsylvania. Joe was the only one of the Stooges to come from a show biz family.
    His mother, Florenz DeRita, was a dancer and his father,
    Frank Wardell, was a stage technician.
    Joe was in show business from the age of seven. Joe's roles included the title role
    in the stage version of "Peck's Bad Boy" with his mother and father.
    Click here to read more

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 35 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• The Three Stooges, in various line-ups,
    were great boyhood favourites of mine.
    Just like Duke's and all the other early oaters
    they were a staple diet at the Saturday Matinees.

With special thanks to their official web-site
    The Three Stooges- Filmography

FILMOGRAPHY

THE THREE STOOGES WITH TED HEALY

LARRY, MOE AND CURLY

LARRY, MOE AND SHEMP

LARRY, MOE & JOE BESSER

LARRY,MOE & CURY JOE DERITA

ON THEIR OWN

Moe Howard

Shemp Howard

Joe Besser

Joe DeRita

CAMEOS

The Three Stooges

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 42 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Well, I do know there's a set available with about 7-8 volumes that you can buy separately. Each volume covers about a three yr period. I've got the first three, 1934-36, 1937-39 and, 1940-42. Each volume has a different color decoration on the box and it covers all of the shorts they did and have been remastered and look real good on tv. Plus, you won't have to worry about tv editing to make them shorter for commercials, they're complete. I've seen priced anywhere from $12.99 at Sams Club to $19.99 at Best Buy.
    As for the Stooges themselves, after Laurel & Hardy, they were my favorite funnymen. To me, the ultimate funny Stooge shorts are the ones with Curly. It was his zaniness that made me laugh. Shemp wasn't to bad but, Curly was better. I even liked Joe Besser to some degree, with his tense little hit to Moe or Larry with the quote, "cut it oooouuuutttt"! Incidently, Besser used to do that on the old Abbott & Costello show once in awhile, when he'd appear as a grown man in a little kid short suit with the funny hat.

• I just ordered 11 DVD's with rare footage of these guys, Public Domain dvd's to be sure but I now have Kook's Tour. Or at least I will when it comes. So far it's been easier to collect Stooge footage than it has John Wayne.

Anyway my favorite line up of Stooges is Larry, Moe, and Shemp (My all time favorite stooge).

• Just found out a few minutes ago about a movie about the Three Stooges characters-NOT a bio-pic, is going to be made and from the few pix ive seen--looks good to me.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I dont know what happened to my original posting from last night but, just thought i would let Three Stooges fans know that a Three Stooges movie is coming out. Form the few photos I have seen, these actors greatly resemble the Larry, Curly and Moe team. This movie is NOT a biopic, but more or less three different "shorts" that are loosely tied together. This one looks good and looks like a labor of love from the film makers. Ill see this one.

• The Farrelly brothers are making this film. They've been trying to get it made for about 5 years. Russell Crowe, Sean Penn, John Goodman, Benicio Del Toro and many others have been linked to it over the years.

• I dont know what happened to my original posting from last night but, just thought i would let Three Stooges fans know that a Three Stooges movie is coming out. Form the few photos I have seen, these actors greatly resemble the Larry, Curly and Moe team. This movie is NOT a biopic, but more or less three different "shorts" that are loosely tied together. This one looks good and looks like a labor of love from the film makers. Ill see this one.

Carl. it's here!!
    For continuity, I merged it into the dedicated thread

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi guys, ive posted it TWICE here but it has disappeared. What it is is? a heads up about a Three Stooges movie being made. Can anyone please explain why that thread keeps disappearing?

Best regards-Carl.

• Im like one of the above and have been collecting the DvDs covering approx 2 years. I have 3-4 or so of them but will stop getting them after Shemp takes over Curlys place. Most of the ones Shemp did were only remakes of some Curly episodes. The latest set I bought has the Red cover and I got them at wally-worlds for $10 bucks per.

• But Shemp is the most hilarious stooge! In fact he is the original Third Stooge.

Shemp was good but-- "Babe" will always be my favorite. To me this is like comparing Apples to Oranges kinda thing. I know Shemp was the original 3rd (under Ted Healy) but he aint Curly ;-)) Nyuk nyuk nyuk.