Roscoe Lee Browne

There are 5 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,482 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• ROSCOE LEE BROWNE

Information from IMDb

Date of Birth
    2 May 1925, Woodbury, New Jersey, USA

Date of Death
    11 April 2007, Los Angeles, California, USA (cancer)

Mini Biography
    He was a master class in cerebral eloquence and audience command...and although his dominant playing card in the realm of acting was quite serious and stately, nobody cut a more delightfully dry edge in sitcoms than this gentleman, whose calm yet blistering put-downs often eluded his lesser intelligent victims.

Acting titan Roscoe Lee Browne was born to a Baptist minister and his wife on May 2, 1925, in Woodbury, New Jersey. He graduated from Lincoln University, an historically black university in Pennsylvania in 1946, and went on to earn his postgraduate degree at Middlebury College. He subsequently returned to Lincoln and taught French and comparative literature, seemingly destined to settle in completely until he heard a different calling.

Roscoe relished his first taste of adulation and admiration as a track star, competing internationally and winning the world championship in the 800-yard dash in 1951. He parlayed that attention into a job as a sales representative for a wine and liquor importer. In 1956, he abruptly decided to become an actor. And he did. With no training but a shrewd, innate sense of self, he boldly auditioned for, and won, the role of the Soothsayer in "Julius Caesar" the very next day at the newly-formed New York Shakespeare Festival. He never looked back and went on to perform with the company in productions of "The Taming of the Shrew", "Titus Andronicus", "Othello", "King Lear" (as the Fool), and "Troilus and Cressida".

Blessed with rich, mellifluous tones and an imposing, cultured air, Roscoe became a rare African-American fixture on the traditionally white classical stage. In 1961 he appeared notably with James Earl Jones in the original off-Broadway cast of Jean Genet's landmark play "The Blacks". Awards soon came his way -- the first in the form of an Obie only a few years later for his portrayal of a rebellious slave in "The Old Glory". Additionally, he received the Los Angeles Drama Critic's Circle Award for both "The Dream on Monkey Mountain" (1970) and "Joe Turner's Come and Gone" (1989). Roscoe found less successful ventures on 1960s Broadway, taking his first curtain call in "A Cool World" in 1960, which folded the next day. He graced a number of other short runs including "General Seegar" (1962), "Tiger, Tiger Burning Bright" (1962), "The Ballad of the Sade Cafe" (1964), "Danton's Death" (1965), and "A Hand Is on the Gate: An Evening of Negro Poetry and Folk Music" (1966), which he also wrote and directed. He did not return to Broadway until 1983 with the role of the singing Rev. J.D. Montgomery in Tommy Tune's smash musical "My One and Only" in which his number "Kicking the Clouds Away" proved to be one of many highlights. Roscoe returned only once more to Broadway, earning acclaim and a Tony nomination for his supporting performance in August Wilson's "Two Trains Running" (1992).

Although he made an isolated debut with The Connection (1962), he wouldn't appear regularly in films until the end of the decade with prominent parts in the Elizabeth Taylor/Richard Burton starrer The Comedians (1967), Jules Dassin's Up Tight! (1968), Hitchcock's Topaz (1969) and, his most notable, The Liberation of L.B. Jones (1970). Thereafter, he complimented a host of features, both comedic and dramatic, including Super Fly (1972) (and its sequel), Uptown Saturday Night (1974), Logan's Run (1976), Legal Eagles (1986), The Mambo Kings (1992) and Dear God (1996)

Elsewhere, Roscoe's disdainful demeanor courted applause on all the top 70s sitcoms including "All in the Family", "Maude," "Sanford and Son", "Good Times" and "Barney Miller" (Emmy-nominated), and he played the splendidly sardonic role of Saunders, the Tate household butler, after replacing Robert Guillaume's popular "Benson" character on "Soap" (1977). In 1986 he won an Emmy Award for his guest appearance on "The Cosby Show" (1984). His trademark baritone lent authority and distinction to a number of documentaries, live-action fare, and animated films, as well as the spoken-word arena, with such symphony orchestras as the Boston Pops and the Los Angeles Philharmonic to his credit. A preeminent recitalist, he was known for committing hundreds of poems to memory. For many years he and actor Anthony Zerbe toured the U.S. with their presentation of "Behind the Broken Words", an evening of poetry and dramatic readings.

At the time of his death of cancer on April 11, 2007, the never-married octogenarian was still omnipresent, more heard than seen perhaps. Among his last works was his narrations of a Garfield film feature and the most recent movie spoof Epic Movie (2007).
    IMDb Mini Biography By: Gary Brumburgh

Trivia
    Before turning to acting, Browne taught literature and French at Lincoln University.

Was nominated for Broadway's 1992 Tony Award as Best Actor (Featured Role - Play) for August Wilson's "Two Trains Running."

Has appeared with Steven Hill in two different, completely unrelated productions in which Hill played the New York County District Attorney: Legal Eagles (1986) and the "Law & Order" (1990) episode "Consultation".

Ever the wry quipster, he was once told by a director that his speech sounded "white", to which he responded, "We had a white maid".

Began his acting career on the New York stage.

Member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (Actors Branch).

Personal Quotes
    "I remember when I chose acting I thought, 'This is it -- for the time being.' I didn't think I was finished yet. I still don't. I keep thinking about what I should be doing."

[replying to a critic's remark that in his role as a camp cook in the western The Cowboys (1972) he 'spoke too well to be believable'] "I think if I had said 'Yassuh, boss' to John Wayne then the critic would have taken a shine to me."

Flmography
    Actor
    2009 The Telemarketers: 36 Hrs (video) ..Narrator
    2007 Side Order of Life (TV series) – Pilot (2007) … Clarence
    2007 Epic Movie ..Narrator (voice)
    2006 Garfield 2 ..Narrator (voice)
    2006 Independent Lens (TV series documentary) – July '64 (2006) … Narrator
    2006 Sweet Deadly Dreams ..Devlin
    2004 Will & Grace (TV series)– The Newlydreads (2004) … Linus
    2003-2004 Static Shock (TV series)
    – Out of Africa (2004) … Dr. Anoyke (voice)
    – Static in Africa (2003) … Dr. Anokye (voice)
    2004 Tales of a Fly on the Wall (TV movie) ..Narrator (voice)
    1992-2003 Law & Order (TV series)
    Aaron Miller / Sir Idris Balewa
    – Identity (2003) … Aaron Miller
    – Consultation (1992) … Sir Idris Balewa
    2003 Behind the Broken Words
    2002 Treasure Planet Mr. Arrow (voice)
    2002 The Shield (TV series)
    – Throwaway (2002) … Bryce Wyms
    2001 The Proud Family (TV series) – Wedding Bell Blues … Clarence (voice)
    2001 Morgan's Ferry ..Peabo
    2000/II Hamlet (TV movie) ..Polonius
    1999 Hope Island (TV series) – It Takes a Voyage to Learn (1999) … Judge Patrick Bradley
    1999 ER (TV series) – Rites of Spring (1999) … Rev. Matthew Lynn
    1999 The Wild Thornberrys (TV series) – The Dragon and the Professor (1999) … Komodo Dragon (voice)
    1999 Hard Time: The Premonition (TV movie) ..Sebastian Allgood
    1998 Babe: Pig in the City ..The Narrator (voice)
    1998 Judas Kiss ..Chief Bleeker
    1995-1998 Spider-Man (TV series)
    Kingpin / Wilson Fisk
    – Spider Wars, Chapter 1: I Really, Really Hate Clones (1998) … Kingpin (voice) / Wilson Fisk (voice)
    – Spider Wars, Chapter 2: Farewell Spider-Man (1998) … Kingpin (voice) / Wilson Fisk (voice)
    – Six Forgotten Warriors Chapter 5: The Price of Heroism (1997) … Kingpin (voice) / Wilson Fisk (voice)
    – Six Forgotten Warriors Chapter 4: The Six Fight Again (1997) … Kingpin (voice) / Wilson Fisk (voice)
    – Six Forgotten Warriors Chapter 3: Secrets of the Six (1997) … Kingpin (voice) / Wilson Fisk (voice)
    and more episodes »
    1997 EZ Streets (TV series) – A Ceremony of Innocence (1997) (credit only)
    1997 The Notorious 7 (TV movie) ..Leadbelly
    1996 Cosby (TV series) – The Broken Reflection (1996) … George Lucas, Hilton's Brother
    1996 Dear God ..Idris Abraham
    1996 Forest Warrior ..Clovis Madison
    1996 CBS Schoolbreak Special (TV series) – Crosstown (1996) … Mr. Wortham
    1996 New York Undercover (TV series) – Bad Blood (1996) … Dr. Johnson
    1996 Spider-Man: Sins of the Fathers (video) ..The Kingpin (voice) / Wilson Fisk (voice)
    1995 The Pompatus of Love ..Leonard Folder
    1995 Freakazoid! (TV series) – And Fan Boy Is His Name/Lawn Gnomes Chapter IV: Fun in the Sun/Freak's French Lesson (1995) … Great Mystic Gnome (voice)
    1995 Last Summer in the Hamptons ..Freddy
    1995 Babe ..Narrator (voice)
    1995 Sweet Justice (TV series) – Muddy Waters (1995) … Judge Powell
    1995 The Beast (short)
    1994 The John Larroquette Show (TV series) – The Job (1994) … Interviewer
    1994 Daredevil vs. Spider-Man (video) ..Kingpin
    1994 Batman (TV series) – Time Out of Joint (1994) … Dr. Wataki (voice)
    1993-1994 SeaQuest DSV (TV series)
    – Greed for a Pirate's Dream (1994) … Dr. Raleigh Young
    – The Devil's Window (1993) … Dr. Raleigh Young
    1993 Naked in New York ..Mr. Ried
    1992 Noel (TV movie) (voice)
    1988-1992 A Different World (TV series)
    – Do the Write Thing (1992) … Dr. Barnabus Foster
    – Almost Working Girl (1991) … Dr. Barnabus Foster
    – All's Fair (1988) … Dr. Barnabus Foster
    – Speech Therapy (1988) … Dr. Barnabus Foster
    1992 Eddie Presley ..Doc
    1992 The Mambo Kings ..Fernando Perez
    1992 You Must Remember This (TV movie) ..Buck
    1991 Baby Talk (TV series) – A Star Is Newborn (1991) … Roscoe (voice)
    1991 The Pirates of Dark Water (TV series) – Quest (1991) … Additional Voices (voice) (as Roscoe Lee Brown)
    1991 Open Window (TV short) ..Neighbor
    1990 Swamp Thing (TV series) – Spirit of the Swamp (1990) … Duchamp
    1990 Night Angel ..Narrator
    1990 Father Dowling Investigates (TV series) – The Passionate Painter Mystery (1990) … Dennis Cray
    1990 Columbo (TV series) – Rest in Peace, Mrs. Columbo (1990) … Dr. Steadman
    1990 Moon 44 ..Chairman Hall, Galactic Mining Corp.
    1989 Lady in the Corner (TV movie) ..Omar DeLacy
    1989 Stuck with Each Other (TV movie) ..Calhearn
    1988-1989 The Real Ghost Busters (TV series)
    Additional Cast / Edward 'Big Ed' Zeddemore
    – Partners in Slime (1989) … Additional Cast (voice) (as Roscoe Lee Brown)
    – The Brooklyn Triangle (1988) … Edward 'Big Ed' Zeddemore (voice) (uncredited)
    1989 Ring Raiders (TV series) ..Max Miles
    1988 Oliver & Company ..Francis (voice)
    1988 Falcon Crest (TV series)
    – Last Dance (1988) … Rosemont
    – As Tears Go By (1988) … Rosemont
    – Telling Tales (1988) … Rosemont
    – The Key to Angela (1988) … Rosemont
    – Flying Blind (1988) … Rosemont
    and more 10 episodes »
    1988 Highway to Heaven (TV series) – Country Doctor (1988) … Dr. Hudsbeth
    1987 Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light (TV series)
    – Sorcery Squared (1987) … Merklyn/Reekon (voice)
    – Dawn of the Sun Imps (1987) … Merklyn/Reekon (voice)
    – Honor Among Thieves (1987) … Merklyn/Reekon (voice)
    – The Trail of Three Wizards (1987) … Merklyn/Reekon (voice)
    – Horn of Unicorn, Claw of Dragon (1987) … Merklyn/Reekon (voice)
    and more13 episodes »
    1986-1987 The Cosby Show (TV series)
    – Shakespeare (1987) … Dr. Barnabus Foster
    – The Card Game (1986) … Dr. Barnabus Foster
    1987 227 (TV series) – Men's Club (1987) … Albert Henry
    1987 Moments Without Proper Names
    1987 The Nativity (video short) (voice)
    1986 Christmas (TV movie) ..Ghost of Christmas Past
    1986 Head of the Class (TV series) ..Mr. Thomas
    – Teacher's Teacher (1986) … Mr. Thomas
    1986 Jumpin' Jack Flash ..Archer Lincoln
    1986 Legal Eagles ..Judge Dawkins
    1986 Foofur (TV series) ...Additional Voices
    1985 Space (TV mini-series) ..Farquar
    1983 For Us the Living: The Medgar Evers Story (TV movie) ..Gloster Current
    1983 Magnum, P.I. (TV series) – Of Sound Mind (1983) … Carlton
    1981 CBS Children's Mystery Theatre (TV series)
    Diogenes 'D.C.' Chase
    – The Haunting of Harrington House (1981) … Diogenes 'D.C.' Chase
    1980-1981 Soap (TV series)
    – Episode #4.16 (1981) … Saunders
    – Episode #4.10 (1981) … Saunders
    – Episode #4.9 (1981) … Saunders
    – Episode #4.7 (1980) … Saunders
    – Episode #4.6 (1980) … Saunders
    and more episodes »
    1980 Nothing Personal ..Paxton
    1980 Hart to Hart (TV series) – Sixth Sense (1980)
    1980 Benson (TV series) – Just Friends (1980) … Howard Walker
    1979 Miss Winslow and Son (TV series)
    – Post Partum Blues (1979) … Harold Neistadter
    – Susan Steps Out (1979) … Harold Neistadter
    – The Pediatricians (1979) … Harold Neistadter
    – My Mother the Helper (1979) … Harold Neistadter
    – A Visit from Aunt Victoria (1979) … Harold Neistadter
    and more epsidodes..
    1978 Once Upon a Classic (TV series)
    – A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1978) … Merlin
    1978 Meeting of Minds (TV series)
    – Douglass/Tz'u-hsi/Beccaria/DeSade: Part 2 (1978) … Frederick Douglass
    1977-1978 Maude (TV series)
    – Mr. Butterfield's Return (1978) … Mr. Butterfield
    – Victoria's Boyfriend (1977) … Mr. Butterfield
    1978 Dr. Scorpion (TV movie) ..Dr. Cresus
    1978 King (TV mini-series)
    – Episode #1.3 (1978) … Philip Harrison
    – Episode #1.2 (1978) … Philip Harrison
    – Episode #1.1 (1978) … Philip Harrison
    1977 Starsky and Hutch (TV series) – Starsky and Hutch on Playboy Island (1977) … Quatraine
    1977 Twilight's Last Gleaming ..James Forrest
    1976 Logan's Run ..Box
    1975 McCoy (TV series) – Double Take (1975) … Gideon Gibbs
    1975 Barney Miller (TV series) – Escape Artist (1975) … Charlie Jeffers
    1975 The Big Rip-Off (TV movie) ..Silky Gideon Gibbs
    1974 Planet of the Apes (TV series) – Tomorrow's Tide (1974) … Hurton
    1974 Uptown Saturday Night ..Congressman Lincoln
    1974 Rex Harrison Presents Stories of Love (TV movie) ..Mr. Secretary (as Roscoe Lee Brown)
    1974 Good Times (TV series) – God's Business Is Good Business (1974) … Reverend Sam
    1973 Super Fly T.N.T...Dr. Lamine Sonko
    1973 The World's Greatest Athlete ..Gazenga
    1972-1973 All in the Family (TV series)
    Hugh Victor Thompson III / Jean Duval
    – Archie in the Hospital (1973) … Jean Duval
    – The Elevator Story (1972) … Hugh Victor Thompson III
    1973 The Streets of San Francisco (TV series) – A Trout in the Milk (1973) … Yale Courtland Dancy
    1972 Sanford and Son (TV series) – Jealousy (1972) … Osgood Wilcox
    1972 Bonanza (TV series) – He Was Only Seven (1972) … Joshua
    1972 Cisco Pike ..Music Store Owner
    1972 The Cowboys ..Jebediah Nightlinger
    1970 Swing Out, Sweet Land (TV movie) ..Frederick Douglass
    1969-1970 The Name of the Game (TV series)
    – The Time Is Now (1970) … Dean Marshall
    – The Third Choice (1969) … Wamumba
    1970 The Liberation of L.B. Jones ..L.B. Jones
    1969 Topaz ..Philippe Dubois
    1969 The Outcasts (TV series).. Gideon (1969) … Gideon
    1969 Me and My Brother ..Photographer
    1968 Up Tight! ..Clarence
    1968 The Invaders (TV series) – The Vise (1968) … Arnold Andrew Warren
    1968 Mannix (TV series)
    – Deadfall: Part 2 (1968) … Dr. Andrew Josephus
    – Deadfall: Part 1 (1968) … Dr. Andrew Josephus
    1968 Insight (TV series)
    The Stranger– Watts Made Out of Thread (1968) … The Stranger
    1967 The Comedians ..Petit Pierre
    1967 NET Playhouse (TV series) – Benito Cereno (1967)
    1964 Black Like Me
    Christopher
    1964 Bertolt Brecht: Übungstücke für Schauspieler (short)
    1964 Terror in the City ..Preacher
    1963 Espionage (TV series) – The Whistling Shrimp (1963) … Mbana
    1963 East Side/West Side (TV series) ..– Go Fight City Hall (1963) … Architect
    1962 The Connection ..J. J. Burden (as Roscoe Brown)

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• The passing of Roscoe in 2007,

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• he was excellent in the cowboys.he was a good actor,always gave a good performance in what ever film of tv series he was in

• Just to add to this thread many of our posts,
    on the passing of Roscoe

Another one bites the dust. His role in "The Cowboys" was wonderful.

What a great actor. He always impressed me with his bearing. He had gravitas in spades.

Rest in peace Roscoe.

Shame to hear this sad news.

Rest in Peace Roscoe

Mike

I remember reading somewhere (can't remember where) that both Mark Rydell (the director) and Roscoe Lee Browne came to have vast respect and admiration for the Duke while they were filming "The Cowboys", even though they were flaming liberals and Big John was an unapologetic conservative. Shows what charisma the man had.

He was really good in 'The Cowboys' but I'm ashamed to say that this is the only film I have seen him in, does anyone have any recommendations of movies/TV programmes of his that I should see.

The John Wayne scrapbook claimed that Brown and Duke got along well with each other or as the Author quoted it 'They can't get off the phone to one another'. Does anyone else have any information regarding Dukes relationship with Brown and what the two men thought of each other.

:agent:

I've seen him in TV and movie roles over the years, Rob, but nothing that really leaps out and grabs you, except for his performance in "The Cowboys". I thought he was excellent in that role.

This happens every year. We are losing more and more classic actors. Sad story indeed. The only tv show I remember seeing him in was an All in the Family episode.

Rest in Peace Mr. Nightlinger.

The TV show I most remember him on was several episodes of: Sanford and Son. He was the paitent of Sanford's (Redd Fox) Fiancee -- who was a home-Nurse.

Forgot to mention that he also was a WWII Veteran. Mr. Browne was a Tuskeegee Airman. A few months ago on The History Channel, that had played that movie and had a few of the Tuskeegee vets there and Mr. Browne was one of them.

I remember him in Soap. I didn't realize that he was in the Cowboys. Everytime I watched Soap I thought who is that guy, I've seen him before.

He was also the voice of The Kingpin on the Spider-Man cartoon that started in 1994.

R.I.P. Roscoe Lee Browne - I always loved to hear his voice!
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Gotta love that apple pie recipe.

And the story his character tells about his father in the movie is wonderful.

He will be missed.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().