Harry Morgan

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,718 times. The latest Post () was by SXViper.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• 81665861_132330503888.jpgHARRY MORGAN

Information from IMDb

Date of Birth
    10 April 1915, Detroit, Michigan, USA

Date of Death
    7 December 2011, Los Angeles, California, USA

Birth Name
    Harry Bratsburg

Height
    5' 6" (1.68 m)

Spouse
    Barbara Bushman (17 December 1986 - present)
    Eileen Detchon (1 September 1940 - 4 February 1985) (her death) 4 children

Trade Mark
    His commanding voice

Frequently played bad guy or cowardly roles

Trivia
    Father of producer Christopher Morgan.

Once belonged to the Group Theater in New York.

Of Norwegian descent, his grandparents were immigrants from Scandinavia.

In the episode "The Days Dwindle Down" (episode # 3.21) of "Murder, She Wrote" (1984), he played an LAPD Detective Webb. In 1967, he starred as a member of the LAPD in "Dragnet 1967" (1967) which was created by and co-starred Jack Webb.

Is the former father-in-law of Julie Cobb. In 1988, Cobb married James Cromwell, who had made a guest appearance on "M*A*S*H" (1972).

Once said that he enjoyed playing Colonel Potter on "M*A*S*H" (1972) so much that he felt that he could have "gone on forever" playing that character.

In several episodes of "M*A*S*H" (1972), Col. Potter was seen painting portraits, mainly of the other characters. These portraits were actually painted by Morgan.

Reprised his "Dragnet 1967" (1967), Dragnet 1966 (1969) (TV) and Dragnet (1987) character (Officer Bill Gannon) in "The Simpsons" (1989) episode "Mother Simpson".

Appeared with Lee J. Cobb, the father of his future daughter-in-law Julie Cobb in How the West Was Won (1962).

Grandfather of Rosemary Morgan and Jeremy Morgan.

Prior to joining the cast of "M*A*S*H" (1972) in the fourth season as the stern but decent Colonel Potter, he appeared in the third season episode "The General Flipped At Dawn" as a crazed general who wanted to move the 4077 unit closer to the front line.

Had four sons by his first wife: Charles and Paul are both attorneys, Christopher Morgan, a TV producer, and Daniel, who died in 1989.

Second wife, Barbara Bushman, is the granddaughter of silent screen star Francis X. Bushman and the daughter of Ralph Bushman.

Graduated from Muskegon High School in Muskegon, Michigan.

In 1942, Morgan had a small part in Orchestra Wives (1942) featuring Glenn Miller. In 1953, co-starred in The Glenn Miller Story (1954).

He was an active opponent of the anti-communist witch hunts in Hollywood.

Grandfather of Spencer Morgan (son of Charles and Charlotte Morgan) of Los Angeles, California.

Started using "Harry" rather than "Henry" when comedian Henry Morgan became popular on radio and TV in the early 1960s. Ironically, they were only born 11 day apart.

He was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Radio at 6325 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.

Was good friends with Jack Webb, Julie London, Dana Andrews, James Stewart, Richard Boone, Lee J. Cobb, Gene Reynolds and Jack Elam.

Best known by the public for his starring roles as Officer Bill Gannon on "Dragnet 1967" (1967) and as Col. Sherman Potter on "M*A*S*H" (1972).

His parents were Henry Bratsburg, a mechanic born in Norway, and Anna Olsen, a housewife born in Sweden.

Before he was a successful actor, he worked as a salesman.

Began his career as a contract player with 20th Century Fox in 1942.

He and future co-star Mike Farrell were both fans of the "M*A*S*H" (1972) series, in the early years, before they both joined the cast in 1975.

His "M*A*S*H" (1972) character was a heavy drinker and a smoker, as was Morgan, in real-life.

He has 11 hobbies - golfing, traveling, dining, fishing, spending time with his family, reading, raising quarter-horses, horseback riding, animals, painting and poetry.

Is a Democrat.

Shortly after his birth, his family moved to Muskegon, Michigan, 42 miles north of Grand Rapids.

Was a spokesperson for both ERA real estate and Toyota in the 1980s.

Is also good friends of James Garner and Loretta Swit (who lives right next door to him).

Remains friends with Mike Farrell, Loretta Swit, amongst the rest of the "M*A*S*H" (1972) cast, during and after the series' cancellation.

After Dean Miller's and Frances Rafferty's deaths, both in 2004, he is the only surviving cast member of "December Bride" (1954).

Despite high ratings, his second series "Dragnet 1967" (1967) was canceled at the end of the fourth season, due to Jack Webb's planning on leaving the show, to continue producing both successful series: "Adam-12" (1968) and "Emergency!" (1972). Later, Morgan would work with Webb again on both short-lived series: "The D.A." (1971) and "Hec Ramsey" (1972).

Has a wine store named after him in West Los Angeles, California.

One of his sons was the friend of James Arness's children. One of Morgan's sons spent the night at Arness' ranch.

Mini-Biography
    Harry Morgan, best known to television audiences as M*A*S*H's Col. Sherman Potter, was never what you'd call a star. Yet he was almost never out of work — which is as good a sign of his talent and our enduring affection as any.

Morgan, had a career in TV and film that stretched from 1942 (To the Shores of Tripoli) to 1999 (the sitcom Love & Money). In all that time, there was never anything you'd really call a "Harry Morgan film" or a "Harry Morgan show" — though his breakthrough co-starring role in the popular early '60s December Bride spinoff Pete and Gladys came very close.
    But it didn't matter. You knew what you would most often get from a Morgan TV appearance: a wry, honest, sometimes cranky everyman. And you were almost always happy to get it.
    His early movie roles — there were more than 100 in all — were more varied, playing good guys and bad guys, and sidekicks to everyone from James Stewart to Henry Fonda (in 1943's The Ox-Bow Incident, one of Morgan's best film roles).
    But the TV die was cast with Pete, the loving but put-upon husband often exasperated by his scatter-brained wife, Gladys — a character who was much-discussed by Pete but never seen in the original show, December Bride.
    That was the Morgan we would come to know and love on the small screen, dryly funny and a bit sarcastic on the outside, but warm and mushy on the inside. You got more dry than warmth in his second big TV role, as Jack Webb's equally staccato partner in the late-'60s revival of Dragnet.
    But the whole package shone again in not only his best-known, but probably also his best, TV role. Stepping into M*A*S*H in 1974 for the departed McLean Stevenson, Morgan as Potter created one of TV's most-loved authority figures, a man firmly in charge who held sway by being the smartest (and sometimes only) adult in the room. It would win him an Emmy and a permanent place in TV lore, and it no doubt helped save the show and extend its 11-season run.
    Was Harry Morgan a big star? No. But sometimes our fondest memories are reserved for actors who burn a bit less brightly and a bit off from the center — and sometimes, those are the lights that last.
    Contributing: Jim Cheng

Personal Quotes
    I didn't have enough money to go back east, so I stayed around, finding jobs mainly out of friendships. I played a lot of sheriffs in those years.

I could never afford to go back to New York and the theater, what with a big family. I didn't really start out to be an actor. I just sort of fell into it. I've had a good career, a lot of laughs. I don't know if that's enough, but it beats coal mining.

[In 1975]: For some reason, I'm confused with Henry Morgan. Perhaps the "M*A*S*H" (1972) series will change that situation.

[on replacing McLean Stevenson for the last 8 seasons of 'M*A*S*H' (1972), after his predecessor created the character]: And he wouldn't leave that behind, so I had to start from scratch.

[on 'M*A*S*H' (1972) co-star Larry Linville] We were all fond of Larry, but when we moved onto the set, no one was fond of Frank Burns. He was nothing like Larry in the flesh. He was brilliant in that part.

[In 1976]: A lot of people live much more simply than in the old days. That doesn't bother me. Keeping busy is the problem. Television guest shot fees are going down. You can do a dozen guest shots a year, but you're not making that much money.

[In 1977]: It might be good for a holiday show, but I don't imagine it will be a real ratings-getter.

[on his popularity while playing the sixty-something Colonel Sherman T. Potter on M*A*S*H]: Two guys just waved to me and said, 'Hi, Colonel,' as I was coming to the hotel lobby.

It's amazing how attached we've become.

[Who felt that if his fears proved true that 'M*A*S*H' (1972) had started to suffer in later months]: No one connected with it will be able to stand its being less than it was. I'm sure they'd rather leave than hang around and watch quality go down.

[Who went from one successful series to another, before he got 'M*A*S*H' (1972)]: Television allowed me to kick the Hollywood habit of typing an actor in certain roles. M*A*S*H was so damned good, I didn't think they could keep the level so high, but they have. I think this season's shows have been outstanding.

[on the death of Jack Webb]: Jack had a lot of affection in him. He'd always throw his arms around me. My God, off-screen he was the most garrulous person you ever met - full of life and laughs. We had a ball ... I loved him very much.

Loretta Swit called me from London, I think she's probably my best friend. She didn't even call collect.

[In 1979]: I think I'm a lot looser now, less military. There's much more of a flow between me and the other characters now. It's good. We have so much fun sitting around off-camera that it really doesn't change when we get on-camera. There's a lot of affection flowing around there.

[Who was a little worried about replacing McLean Stevenson as to how he would fit the rest of the 'M*A*S*H' (1972) cast]: Our relationships just get deeper and deeper the longer I'm with the show.

[on making reservations to replace McLean Stevenson on 'M*A*S*H' (1972)]: After all, I was replacing a great comic, McLean Stevenson, and entering a company that had been close-knit for three seasons.

[Of his 'M*A*S*H' (1972) character]: He was firm. He was a good officer and he had a good sense of humor. I think it's the best part I ever had. I loved playing Colonel Potter.

An actor's most important responsibility is to know lines well.

[In 1986]: The only ones in town who were moving office equipment in the teeth of the Depression were the people selling filing cabinets to the Social Security Administration.

[Who said in 1985 at the time he told 40th President Ronald Reagan a few things he didn't know or might have forgotten]: I once lived in the White House for four days in the Presidential quarters. Well, before I get arrested, I had better tell you that NBC did sort of a maxi-series called 'Backstairs at the White House,' and I played President Truman. We didn't have a Rose Garden. But then, they never promised us a rose garden.

[on the other chemistries he had with other male leading actors]: They weren't fearful of competition, and they handed you some of the juiciest things in the show.

[Who said in 1983 about his real-life wife Eileen Dutchon and his 'After MASH' (1983) co-star, Barbara Townsend]: Eileen looks a lot like Town-send, and the two women get along pretty well, but I sit between them so as not to take any chances.

I don't care about the money. I'm just interested in the perks. I'll do a series if I am picked up by a limo, work only until 4, and the show is shot in Hawaii.

I've never been more comfortable in a part than with Colonel Potter.

[Of Jack Webb, who worked with him on 'Dragnet 1967' (1967)'s very first episode, which Webb's character did psychedelic drugs]: He's been taking them, the pills, all day. He kept saying he wants to get even farther out.

[on the cancellation of 'M*A*S*H' (1972)]: I think it broke all the listening, the tuning in records of 'You doing it,' it was a wonderful show. At the end of the show, we all said farewell to one another. I rode off of my horse, and they all stood up and saluted me which was very unusual, it didn't have that kind of visible respect for the colonel, through the colonel, although it was there, but it wasn't demonstrated formally. It was touching, and it was more than just a film, this was it. So, I mean, what you were doing was really happening, going to happen, because, it was a very profound moment episode. I think we all felt that because it was hard to say goodbye to MASH. I could've done it for another 10 years, but I think most of the people felt the same way, maybe not Alan. He had other fish to fry. Most of us have gone on to anything after MASH, with a former tip, I don't think Alan has his. All he's done is nature shows, that's natural.

[Who said in 1978, of his 'M*A*S*H' (1972) co-star, Gary Burghoff, who was thinking about leaving the show]: I'm sure he means it, even though CBS doesn't. And I think it'll be harder to replace him than it was to replace McLean Stevenson, Wayne Rogers or Larry Linville. Gary's character is special. And, also, he's the only true original among us, since he's the only one from M*A*S*H picture. He'll sorely be missed.

[Of Ron Howard]: He's never hired me. I guess I didn't treat him well. He's very good incidentally.

[Of Alan Alda]: Alan came back to the set like a real basket case. Though he always doesn't fly home to his family in New Jersey on weekends anymore, doesn't go when he's writing. I'd think he'd be exhausted. He must be, I guess.

[Who said in 1980, about joining the cast of 'M*A*S*H' (1972), at the beginning of the show's fourth season]: I've always been with a show from the beginning, but this was easier than starting some of those shows from the beginning.

I was particularly fond of Dick Boone. I started to direct with him.

Filmography
    Actor
    1999 Crosswalk (short) ...Dr. Chandler
    1999 Love & Money (TV series) – Career Daze (1999) … Fletcher Conklin
    1997 Family Plan ...Sol Rubins
    1996-1997 3rd Rock from the Sun (TV series)
    – Sensitive Dick (1997) … Professor Suter
    – Much Ado About Dick (1996) … Professor Suter
    – Selfish Dick (1996) … Professor Suter
    1996 Grace Under Fire (TV series) – Head Games (1996) … George
    1995 The Simpsons (TV series) – Mother Simpson (1995) … Bill Gannon (voice)
    1995 The Jeff Foxworthy Show (TV series) – Jeff & Ray & Racal's Big Adventure (1995) …Raymond
    1994 Renegade (TV series) – Hostage (1994) … Moses Walzer
    1994 Incident in a Small Town (TV movie) ...Judge Bell
    1992 Against Her Will: An Incident in Baltimore (TV movie) ...Judge Stoddard Bell
    1990 The Incident (TV movie) ...Judge Bell
    1988 The Twilight Zone (TV series) – The Curious Case of Edgar Witherspoon (1988) … Edgar Witherspoon
    1987-1988 You Can't Take It with You (TV series)
    – For Whom the Phone Rings (1988) … Martin Vanderhof
    – The Trial of Martin Vanderhof (1987) … Martin Vanderhof
    – Like Mother, Like Son (1987) … Martin Vanderhof
    1988 14 Going on 30 (TV movie)
    1987 Dragnet ...Captain Bill Gannon
    1987 Murder, She Wrote (TV series) – The Days Dwindle Down (1987) … Retired Lt. Richard Webb
    1986 Blacke's Magic (TV series)
    – Forced Landing (1986) … Leonard Blacke
    – Death Goes to the Movies (1986) … Leonard Blacke
    – Breathing Room (Pilot) (1986) … Leonard Blacke
    1978-1985 The Love Boat (TV series)
    – German Cruise: The Villa/The Racer's Edge/Love or Money/The Accident: Part 1 (1985) … Charly Fields
    – German Cruise: The Villa/The Racer's Edge/Love or Money/The Accident: Part 2 (1985) … Charly Fields
    – Expedition, The/Julie's Wedding/The Mongala/Julie's Replacement/The Three R's/The Professor's Wife: Part 1 (1981) … Professor
    – Expedition, The/Julie's Wedding/The Mongala/Julie's Replacement/The Three R's/The Professor's Wife: Part 2 (1981) … Professor
    – Taking Sides/Friendly Little Game, A/Going by the Book (1978) … Wendel Snead
    1983-1984 After MASH (TV series)
    – Saturday's Heroes (1984) … Col. Sherman T. Potter
    – Ward Is Hell (1984) … Col. Sherman T. Potter
    – The Recovery Room (1984) … Col. Sherman T. Potter
    – Madness to His Method (1984) … Col. Sherman T. Potter
    – Trials (1984) … Col. Sherman T. Potter
    In all 29 episodes »
    1983 Sparkling Cyanide (TV movie) ...Captain Kemp
    1974-1983 M*A*S*H (TV series)
    – Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen (1983) … Colonel Sherman T. Potter
    – As Time Goes By (1983) … Colonel Sherman T. Potter
    – Give and Take (1983) … Colonel Sherman T. Potter
    – Friends and Enemies (1983) … Colonel Sherman T. Potter
    – Say No More (1983) … Colonel Sherman T. Potter
    In all 179 episodes
    1982 The Flight of Dragons ...Carolinus (voice)
    1981 Rivkin: Bounty Hunter (TV movie) ...Father Kolodny
    1980 More Wild Wild West (TV movie) ...Robert T. 'Skinny' Malone
    1980 Scout's Honor (TV movie) ...Mr. Briggs
    1980 Roughnecks (TV movie) ...Plug Champion
    1979 Better Late Than Never (TV movie) ...Mr. Scott
    1979 The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again ...Maj. T.P. Gaskill
    1979 You Can't Take It with You (TV movie) ...Mr. DePinna
    1979 The Wild Wild West Revisited (TV movie) ...Robert T. Malone
    1979 Backstairs at the White House (TV mini-series)
    – Episode #1.3 (1979) … President Harry S. Truman (credit only)
    – Episode #1.4 (1979) … President Harry S. Truman
    – Episode #1.1 (1979) … President Harry S. Truman (credit only)
    – Episode #1.2 (1979) … President Harry S. Truman (credit only)
    1979 Roots: The Next Generations (TV mini-series) – Episode #1.2 (1979) … Bob Campbell
    1978 The Cat from Outer Space ...General Stilton
    1978 Kate Bliss and the Ticker Tape Kid (TV movie) ...Hugo Peavey
    1978 The Bastard (TV movie) ...Capt. Caleb
    1978 Murder at the Mardi Gras (TV movie) ...Jim Bob Jackson
    1978 Maneaters Are Loose! (TV movie) ...Toby Waites
    1977 The Magnificent Magical Magnet of Santa Mesa (TV movie) ...J.J. Strange
    1977 Exo-Man (TV movie) ...Travis
    1976 The Shootist ...Marshall Thibido
    1975 The Apple Dumpling Gang ...Homer McCoy
    1975 The Last Day (TV movie) ....Narrator
    1970-1975 Gun Law (TV series)
    – Brides and Grooms (1975) … Jed Hockett
    – The Wiving (1974) … Jed Hockett
    – Milligan (1972) … John Milligan
    – The Witness (1970) … Osgood Pickett
    1972-1974 Hec Ramsey (TV series)
    – Only Birds and Fools (1974) … Doc Amos B. Coogan
    – Scar Tissue (1974) … Doc Amos B. Coogan
    – Dead Heat (1974) … Doc Amos B. Coogan
    – The Detroit Connection (1973) … Doc Amos B. Coogan
    – A Hard Road to Vengeance (1973) … Doc Amos B. Coogan
    In all 8 episodes
    1974 Sidekicks (TV movie) ...Sheriff Jenkins
    1973 Charley and the Angel ...The Angel formerly Roy Zerney
    1972 Snowball Express ...Jesse McCord
    1970-1972 The Partridge Family (TV series)
    – All's War in Love and Fairs (1972) … Cal
    – The Sound of Money (1970) … Willie Larkin
    1972 Night Gallery (TV series) – Lindemann's Catch/A Feast of Blood/The Late Mr. Peddington (1972) … Thaddeus Conway
    1971 The D.A. (TV series)
    – The People versus Nelson (1971) … H.M. 'Staff' Stafford
    – The People vs. Drake (1971) … H.M. 'Staff' Stafford
    1971 Ellery Queen: Don't Look Behind You (TV movie) ..Inspector Richard Queen
    1971/II Cat Ballou (TV movie) ...The Rancher
    1971 Scandalous John ...Sheriff Pippin
    1971 Support Your Local Gunfighter ...Taylor
    1971 The Barefoot Executive ...E.J. Crampton
    1971 The Feminist and the Fuzz (TV movie) ...Dr. Horace Bowers
    1970 But I Don't Want to Get Married! (TV movie) ...Mr. Good
    1970 Love, American Style (TV series) – Love and the Father/Love and the Motel (1970) … Woody (segment "Love and the Motel")
    1967-1970 Dragnet 1967 (TV series)
    – D.H.Q.: The Victims (1970) … Officer Bill Gannon
    – Burglary: Baseball (1970) … Officer Bill Gannon
    – Robbery: The Harassing Wife (1970) … Officer Bill Gannon
    – I.A.D.: The Receipt (1970) … Officer Bill Gannon
    – D.H.Q.: Night School (1970) … Officer Bill Gannon
    In all 98 episodes
    1969 Viva Max ..Chief of Police Sylvester
    1969 Support Your Local Sheriff! ...Olly Perkins
    1969 Dragnet 1966 (TV movie) ...Officer Bill Gannon
    1967 One Born Every Minute ...Sheriff Slade
    1966 What Did You Do in the War, Daddy? ...Major Pott
    1966 Frankie and Johnny ...Cully
    1965 Dr. Kildare (TV series)
    – Going Home (1965) … Francis X Healy
    – The Tent Dwellers (1965) … Francis X Healy
    – A Gift of Love (1965) … Francis X Healy
    1965 The Wackiest Ship in the Army (TV series) – The Lady and the Luluai (1965)
    1964-1965 Kentucky Jones (TV series)
    – The Victim (1965) … Seldom Jackson
    – Feminine Intrusion (1965) … Seldom Jackson
    – The Return of Wong Lee (1965) … Seldom Jackson
    – The Big Shot (1965) … Seldom Jackson
    – The Dread Disease (1964) … Seldom Jackson
    In all 7 episodes
    1965 John Goldfarb, Please Come Home! ...Secretary of State Deems Sarajevo
    1963-1964 The Richard Boone Show (TV series)
    – A Need of Valor (1964) … Robert Logan
    – The Arena: Part 2 (1964) … Senator Clements
    – The Arena: Part 1 (1964) … Senator Clements
    – Run, Pony, Run (1964) … Eddie
    – A Tough Man to Kill (1964) … Sig
    In all 15 episodes
    1963 The Wall to Wall War (TV movie)
    1963 The Virginian (TV series) – Strangers at Sundown (1963) … Kendall Jones
    1958-1963 Have Gun - Will Travel (TV series)
    – American Primitive (1963) … Sheriff Ernie Backwater (as 'Henry [Harry] Morgan')
    – A Snare for Murder (1958) … Fred Braus
    1962 The Untouchables (TV series) – Doublecross (1962) … Bugs Moran
    1962 Going My Way (TV series) – Like My Own Brother (1962) … Al Everett
    1962 How the West Was Won ...Gen. Ulysses S. Grant (as Henry 'Harry' Morgan)
    1962 Ensign O'Toole (TV series) – Operation: Mess (1962) … Charlie
    1960-1962 Pete and Gladys (TV series)
    – Continental Dinner (1962) … Pete Porter
    – The Expectant Gardener (1962) … Pete Porter
    – The Arrival (1962) … Pete Porter
    – The Case of the Gossipy Maid (1962) … Pete Porter
    – Step on Me (1962) … Pete Porter
    In all 72 episodes
    1960 Cimarron ...Jessie Rickey (printer) (as Henry {Harry} Morgan)
    1960 The Mountain Road ...Sgt. 'Mike' Michaelson (as Henry 'Harry' Morgan)
    1960 Inherit the Wind ...Judge Mel Coffey
    1959 Alfred Hitchcock Presents (TV series) – Anniversary Gift (1959) … Hermie Jenkins
    1959 It Started with a Kiss ...Charles Meriden (as Henry 'Harry' Morgan)
    1954-1959 December Bride (TV series)
    – Bald Baby (1959) … Pete Porter
    – Lily Helps Twilly (1959) … Pete Porter
    – Lily Goes Fishing (1959) … Pete Porter
    – Linda on TV (1959) … Pete Porter
    – The Texan, Rory Calhoun (1959) … Pete Porter
    155 episodes
    1957 Under Fire ...Sgt. Joseph C. Dusak (as Henry Morgan)
    1957 The 20th Century-Fox Hour (TV series) – The Marriage Broker (1957) … Mike Feeney
    1956 The Teahouse of the August Moon ...Sgt. Gregovich (as Henry {Harry} Morgan)
    1956 Star in the Dust ...Lew Hogan
    1953-1956 Cavalcade of America (TV series) ...Homer Byington
    – Who Is Byington? (1956) … Homer Byington
    – Sunset at Appomattox (1953)
    1956 Unidentified Flying Objects: The True Story of Flying Saucers (documentary) ...Pilot on Radio (uncredited) (voice)
    1956 Backlash ...Tony Welker
    1956 Beyond the River ...Felix--Barkeep (as Henry Morgan)
    1955 Pete Kelly's Blues (uncredited)
    1955 Not as a Stranger ...Oley
    1955 Strategic Air Command ...Sgt. Bible (flight engineer) (as Henry Morgan)
    1954 The Lone Wolf (TV series) ...Jim Strait / Rev. Jeffrey Hallam
    – The Minister Story (1954) … Rev. Jeffrey Hallam (as Henry Morgan)
    – Plantation Story … Jim Strait (as Henry Morgan)
    1954 The Far Country ...Ketchum (as Henry Morgan)
    1954 About Mrs. Leslie ...Fred Blue (as Henry Morgan)
    1954 The Forty-Niners ...Alfred 'Alf' Billings (as Henry Morgan)
    1954 Prisoner of War ...Maj. O.D. Hale
    1954 The Glenn Miller Story ...Chummy MacGregor (as Henry Morgan)
    1953 Torch Song ...Joe Denner (as Henry Morgan)
    1953 Champ for a Day ...Al Muntz (as Henry Morgan)
    1953 Arena ...Lew Hutchins (as Henry Morgan)
    1953 Thunder Bay ...Rawlings (as Henry Morgan)
    1952 Stop, You're Killing Me ...Innocence (as Henry Morgan)
    1952 The Doctor (TV series) – The Red Wig (1952) (as Henry Morgan)
    1952 Toughest Man in Arizona ..Verne Kimber (as Henry Morgan)
    1952 Apache War Smoke ...Ed Cotten
    1952 Big Jim McLain ...Narrator (uncredited)
    1952 What Price Glory ...Sgt. Moran (uncredited)
    1952 High Noon ...Sam Fuller (as Henry Morgan)
    1952 My Six Convicts ...Dawson
    1952 Where the River Bends ...Shorty (as Henry Morgan)
    1952 The Dark Page ...Biddle (as Henry Morgan)
    1952 Boots Malone ...Quarter Horse Henry (as Henry Morgan)
    1951 The Blue Veil ...Charles Hall
    1951 The Well ...Claude Packard (as Henry Morgan)
    1951 The Highwayman ...Tim (as Henry Morgan)
    1951 Appointment with Danger ...George Soderquist (as Henry Morgan)
    1951 When I Grow Up ...Father Reed (modern)
    1951 The Amazing Mr. Malone (TV series) – Premiere (1951)
    1951 Belle Le Grand ...Abel Stone (as Henry Morgan)
    1950 Dark City ...Soldier (as Henry Morgan)
    1950 The Showdown ...Rod Main (as Henry Morgan)
    1950 Outside the Wall ...Garth (as Henry Morgan)
    1949 Holiday Affair ...Police Lieutenant (as Henry Morgan)
    1949 Red Light ...Rocky (as Henry Morgan)
    1949 Strange Bargain ...Lt. Richard Webb (as Henry Morgan)
    1949 Madame Bovary ...Hyppolite (as Henry Morgan)
    1949 The Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend ...Hoodlum (uncredited)
    1949 Down to the Sea in Ships ...Britton (as Henry Morgan)
    1949 Hello Out There (short) ...The Young Gambler
    1948 Yellow Sky ...Half Pint (as Henry Morgan)
    1948 Moonrise ...Billy Scripture (as Henry Morgan)
    1948 The Saxon Charm ...Hermy (as Henry Morgan)
    1948 Race Street ...Hal Towers (as Henry Morgan)
    1948 The Big Clock ...Bill Womack (as Henry Morgan)
    1948 All My Sons ...Frank Lubey (as Henry Morgan)
    1947 The Gangster ...Shorty (as Henry Morgan)
    1946 Crime Doctor's Man Hunt ...Jervis (uncredited)
    1946 It Couldn't Happen to a Dog ...Gus Rivers (as Henry Morgan)
    1946 Somewhere in the Night ...Bath Attendant (uncredited)
    1946 Dragonwyck ...Klaas Bleecker (as Henry Morgan)
    1946 Johnny Comes Flying Home ...Joe Patillo (as Henry Morgan)
    1946 From This Day Forward ...Hank Beesley (as Henry Morgan)
    1945 State Fair ...Barker (as Henry Morgan)
    1945 A Bell for Adano ...Capt. N. Purvis (as Henry Morgan)
    1944 Gentle Annie ...Cottonwood Goss (as Henry Morgan)
    1944 Wing and a Prayer ...Ens. Malcolm Brainard (as Henry Morgan)
    1944 The Last Gangster ...Thomas J. 'Smoke' Reardon (as Henry Morgan)
    1944 The Eve of St. Mark ...Pvt. Shevlin (as Henry Morgan)
    1943 Happy Land ...Anton 'Tony' Cavrek (as Henry Morgan)
    1943 The Ox-Bow Incident ...Art Croft (as Henry Morgan)
    1943 Crash Dive ...Brownie (as Henry Morgan)
    1942 The Omaha Trail ...Henchman Nat (as Henry Morgan)
    1942 Orchestra Wives ...Cully Anderson (uncredited)
    1942 The Loves of Edgar Allan Poe ...Ebenezer Burling (as Henry Morgan)
    1942 To the Shores of Tripoli ...Mouthy (as Henry Morgan)

Director
    1976-1983 M*A*S*H (TV series)
    – U.N., the Night and the Music (1983)
    – Who Knew? (1982)
    – Blood Brothers (1981)
    – Tell It to the Marines (1981)
    – Stars and Stripes (1979)
    In all 9 episodes
    1973-1974 Hec Ramsey (TV series)
    – Only Birds and Fools (1974)
    – The Mystery of Chalk Hill (1973)
    1971 The D.A. (TV series)
    1969 Adam-12 (TV series)
    – Log 51: A Jumper, Code 2 (1969)
    1964-1965 The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (TV series)
    – The World's Oldest Motive (1965)
    – Who Needs an Enemy? (1964)
    1964 The Richard Boone Show (TV series)
    – A Need of Valor (1964)
    – Occupational Hazard (1964)

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Harry Morgan was in 2 movies with Duke, and was Narrator in 1.

Harry was a well respected actor probably
    more well known for his more famous for his TV roles,
    namely M*A*S*H and Dragnet,

Harry was with Duke in 3 movies

The Shootist.1976...Marshall Thibido
    How the West Was Won .1962...Gen. Ulysses S. Grant (as Henry 'Harry' Morgan)
    Big Jim McLain. 1952 ...Narrator (uncredited)

One of the only actors to star with Duke in the same segment
    of How The West Was Won

Was Harry Morgan a big star? No.
    But sometimes our fondest memories are reserved for actors
    who burn a bit less brightly and a bit off from the center —
    and sometimes, those are the lights that last.
    By Jim Cheng

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 16 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• For continuity I have copied these posts from the General RIP thread

Harry Morgan, who played Co. Potter on MASH, and Det. Bill Gannon on Dragnet has died at 96. Besides those two series, Morgan appeared on literally countless tv shows and movies from the 40's on. He appeared in some of the best westerns on screen, The Ox-Bow Incident, Red River, Yellow Sky, and Support Your Local Sheriff. He also co-starred in two other tv series in the 50's, December Bride in which he and Cara Williams played Spring Byingtons neighbors, Pete & Gladys. After December Bride went off, Morgan & Williams reprised their roles in their own show named Pete & Gladys. And Morgan also starred as the retired Col Potter in a MASH spinoff series, can't remember the name of it. Always thought Morgan was funny. But it was the material he was given and he made it that way. A really great actor. RIP.

Jim, I think it was called "After Mash".
    Morgan was very good at comedy or tragedy. If you want to remember him as outrageously hysterical, check out "What Did You do in the War, Daddy", a WWII farce with James Coburn and Disk Shawn. Great performance.

We deal in lead, friend.

Saddened by Harry Morgan's death.

I liked him on Pete and Gladys.

rip harry morgan,you were great in the shootist, and very funny when you had to meet john brooks for the first time.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Jim, I think it was called "After Mash".
    Morgan was very good at comedy or tragedy. If you want to remember him as outrageously hysterical, check out "What Did You do in the War, Daddy", a WWII farce with James Coburn and Disk Shawn. Great performance.

We deal in lead, friend.

Gorch, I saw What Did You Do In The War, Daddy way back in 67, when I was stationed overseas. At the time, I thought it was hilarious and even now, it's still very funny. And Morgan was a hoot as that officer lost in the catacombs.

• Rest in Peace Colonel. :( You entertained me for hundreds of hours and I greatly appreciate it.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• He was great in the "MASH" TV series and its spin-off "After MASH" and the 60s "Dragnet." Besides "The Shootist" he was in TV's "December Bride" and many movies. I remember him particurlary as the menacing henchman (with very little dialogue) of Charles Laughton in "The Big Clock." R.I.P. Harry Morgan.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I just watched a Jimmy Stewart movie, Bend of the River and Harry played one of the guys asked to help drive the wagons of supplies to the settler's across the mountains who ends up being a bad guy. Good movie and good actor. He was also in High Noon and Yellow Sky a couple of other favorites of mine.

Rest in Peace Harry.....

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne