There are 997 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 238,216 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi

I was away yesterday so I am a day behind but will catch up.

On this day 7th May:

29 years ago The film Brannigan was released in Finland

'Brannigan: Can you swim?
    Motorcyclist: Yes.
    Brannigan: Go get it! '

97 years ago the actor Edmund MacDonald was born he appeared in Flying Tigers.

72 years ago The serial The Three Musketeers was released in the US.

104 years ago The actorGary Cooper was born. Although many people state that he never made a film with John Wayne I include him in my list bec ause they both appeared in the 1932 picture The Voice of Hollywood.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

Back on track

On this day 8th May

64 years ago the actor Jim Mitchum was born, the son of Robert Mitchum, he played Ensign Griggs in 'In Harm's Way'.

63 years ago The Spoilers was released in the US:

'Glennister: I imagine that dress is supposed to have a chilling effect. Well if it is, it isn't working, 'cuz you'd look good to me, baby, in a burlap bag'.
    'The Spoilers' 1942)

76 years ago saw the premiere of the John Ford picture 'The Black Watch' which is now being accepted as one of John Wayne's early screen appearances.

120 years ago The actor George 'Gabby' Hayes was born. He was a stalwart in John Wayne's Monogram days playing his sidekick and occasionally when he shaved his beard, playing a villain. This was seen to a remarkable effect in 'Randy Rides Alone' when he pretended to be dumb playing a character called 'Matt the Mute' and spent most of the film holding up the action writing notes on paper. When he did speak these are some of his lines:

'Marvin Black, alias Matt Matthews: Well, where's the money?
    Henchman Spike: We didn't get it. It wasn't in the safe.
    Marvin Black, alias Matt Matthews: Whaddya mean, you didn't get it?
    Henchman Spike: I'm telling you we couldn't find it.
    Marvin Black, alias Matt Matthews: And you call yourselves "bad men"! I should have left you where I found you - brandin' calves!'
    (Randy Rides Alone)

In another picture, also playing a villain his hideout was in a tree in the centre of the towns main street.
    Its amazing what you could get away with in those days.

5 years ago Douglas Fairbanks jnr died aged 90. He played Jimmy Dolan in the Life of Jimmy Dolan.

55 years ago the actor Steve Clemente died aged 64 he appeared in Stagecoach.

61 years ago the actor Wade Boteler died aged 54. He appeared in Three Faces West.

Regards

Arthur[

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this Day 9th May

104 years ago the actor Al 'Fuzzy' knight was born, he went on to feature as a side kick inmany westerns.

108 years ago The actor Richard Bartlemass was born, a top star of the 1920s and early 30s he appeared in Central Airport and the Spoilers.

24 years ago The actress Margaret Lindsey died she appeared with John Wayne in Baby Face and the Spoilers

25 years ago The Green Berets was re-released in Finland.

George Beckworth: There is no such thing as due process.
    Colonel Mike Kirby: Out here due process is a bullet'

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this Day 10th May:

71 years ago Blue Steel was released in the USA

'John Carruthers: I'm glad you decided to drift along with me. It's kind of lonesome trailing alone'.
    Blue Steel

96 years ago the actor Earl Askam was born. He appeared in numerous pictures mostly westerns including The First Rebel and Dark Command.

123 years ago the actor Thurston Hall was born he was seen in Without Reservations.

19 years ago the actress Lucille Browne died aged 69 she was in Neath the Arizona Skies

18 years ago The actress Joan Crawford departed aged 73 she starred with Duke in Re-Union in France.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this Day 11th May

78 years ago Annie Laurie was released in the USA

75 years ago The film Born Reckless had its US premiere

95 years ago the comedian Phil Silvers wa born he appeared in Lady Takes A Chance.

56 years ago The director Andrew McLaglan married Veda Ann Borg,

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur, wasnt Phil Silvers born in 1911?...which would make him 94 would it now?

-IHW

• Hi

On this Day 12th May

66 years ago 3 Texas Steer was released in the US.

98 years ago Katherine Hepburn was born. Catch her in Rooster Cogburn

64 years ago the actor Phil Harris who appeared in the High and the Mighty married Alice Faye.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On This Day the dreaded Friday 13th May

38 years ago the actor Frank McGrath died aged 63. Best known for his role of Charlie Worster on Wagon Train he appeared in a number of Duke's pictures.

77 years ago John Ford's picture Hangman's house' was released, John Wayne features in three scenes in sillouette being sentenced to death. Smashing the fencing during the horse race and as a part of the crowd.

59 years ago The film Without Reservations was released in the USA starring Claudette Colbert.

64 years ago the actress senta Berger was born she appeared in Cast A Giant Shadow. (The DVD of which incidentally I bought in Weymouth last Saturday).

44 years ago Gary Cooper died. Looking at that in cold hard facts it doesn't seem possible that 'Coop' has been gone that long.

66 years ago Barbara Stanwyck married Robert Taylor. She starred in 'Baby Face'

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 15th May

71 years ago The Man From Utah was released in the United Kingdom

38 years ago John Wayne featured on Dateline Hollywood, the first of five successive days he would appear. Does anyone know the reason.

87 years ago The actor Eddie Arnold was born

107 years ago the actress Arletty was born She appeared in The Longest Day

112 years ago the actor Lee Phelps was born, a veteran of the screen he appeared in 465 pictures included among which was a un-credited appearance in Red River.

11 years ago the actor Royal Dano died aged 71, a supporting actor he normally played a henchman, or a down and out and normally got killed in the first five minutes of the picture.

53 years ago the German actor Albert Basserman died aged 84 some say in a plane crash over the Atlantic some that he died of natural causes.

18 years ago the actress Wynn Gibson died aged 83 she played Puff Rogers in Lady and Gent.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day16th May

83 years ago Harry Carey jnr was born. Happy Birthday Dobe.

38 years ago Duke was the subject of Dateline Hollywood

133 years ago James T Mack was born he played Hooten in Adventures End,

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@May 17 2005, 11:47 AM
    62 years ago (The year I was born) the actor Montague Love died

[snapback]16760[/snapback]

Hi Arthur -
    I remember him, specifically in "The Adventures of Robin Hood" and "The Count of Monte Cristo," as well as many other classic films, primarily during the '30s and early '40s.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi

On this day 19th May

57 years ago Flame of the Barbary Coast was released in France

38 years ago Duke made his final appearance or was mentioned on Dateline hollywood.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this Day the 20th of May

7 years ago the Cowboy star Monte Montana died a famous rodeo star (he was the rider at the convention in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance) he attended president Eisenhowers inaugral procession and caused great consternation by riding up and dropping a lasso around him. I don't think Eisenhower was all that bothered but the Secret Service were a bit put out.

68 years ago Anthony Zerbe was born he played breed in Rooster Cogburn.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur.

I'd just like to say thanks for taking the time to share all off this with us. I think it's great.

Emmanuel. ;)

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

Originally posted by arthurarnell@May 20 2005, 01:05 AM
    68 years ago Anthony Zerbe was born he played breed in Rooster Cogburn.

[snapback]16817[/snapback]

Arthur - I love these items you keep posting. Zerbe most recently was in the "Matrix" movies - the second and third installments, I believe. He is one of the great character actors.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"