What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,421,501 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hello Western fans

Okay simply, what was the last Western you watched? Be it a John Wayne or not. Here's what I saw over the last week, what are you watching?

1 Sabata
    2 For A Few Dollars More
    3 Rio Bravo
    4 Man or Gun
    5 Adios Sabata
    6 Return Of Sabata
    7 Hondo
    8 The Legend Of Zorro

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• The legend of Zorro, which I might add was an amazing sequal.And Big Jake as it is on t.v at the moment.

-IHW

• The last movie theater western was Open Range. That was a while back. The last movie I've seen was Hondo on DVD {WOW!} and McLintock.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi all

The last western I watched was also OPEN RANGE.
    I've watched this movie a few times.
    I think Kevin Costner does a good cowboy, I particularly
    like Robert Duvall, we all know that his cowboy
    credentials go all the way back to TRUE GRIT,
    and LUCKY NED PEPPER.

Best regards

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• It looks like Phantom just bought the Sabata Trilogy DVD Collection, which I'm holding out on getting.

The last western I watched was The Train Robbers. After hearing some conversation here about the trailers that are included and that I hadn't seen it in awhile, I went out to Borders and bought it. Looked great in widescreen and I liked the special features about the stunts.

Speaking of westerns, I've been meaning to watch The Professionals. Now, if you're looking for a fun western to watch, The Professionals is a safe bet.

• Patrick,

I purchased The Professionals a while back and seen it. I liked it. I enjoyed the cast and they worked together well.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane@Nov 3 2005, 05:09 PM
    Patrick,
    I purchased
    The Professionals a while back and seen it. I liked it. I enjoyed the cast and they worked together well.
    Cheers B)

[snapback]22772[/snapback]

I always thought that "The Professionals" was a great movie, Hondo. I purchased the widescreen DVD myself a few months ago and love the photography. The widescreen is especially beneficial during the last standoff that the full screen can't begin to approach.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• The Alamo yesterday. And I planning to watch Cahill, US Marschal today (both for the first time in life!)

About Open Range. I saw it some time ago, when it was in the theaters. I like the movie, but it is something very sad in it (or I may be mistaken). It is not the same as westerns of the past.
    Regards,
    Senta

Originally posted by Senta@Nov 3 2005, 11:54 PM
    About Open Range. I saw it some time ago, when it was in the theaters. I like the movie, but it is something very sad in it (or I may be mistaken). It is not the same as westerns of the past.

[snapback]22783[/snapback]

Senta,

I thought that this movie was as close to the westerns of past compared to the ones since Silverado. They don't make westerns like they use to and not that many. It is a different movie, but it had a realistic story line that followed the western code. This is of course my opinion.

Cheers B)

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Hondo,
    Thank you for you comment. I understand that they try to do it very close to the westerns of the past, thats why i like it. For example Sergio Leone films I didn't like at all.
    Only old westerns were full of life and the life stand on some values. There were some things in life in which you absolutely belive. The sadness of Open Range for me is in the situation changed, they stand for values but they are not so absolute in the world no more.
    May be I didn't explain it in a right way or all this only my silly thoughts.
    Regards,
    Senta

• I just bought "True Grit" when I was down in Atlanta and watched in on my laptop when doing the airport thing. So that was my last western watched. I know, what a lamo for not having True Grit yet. Hey what can I say, I just never seemed to pick it up when I had the chance, I found it a store down in Marietta, it was $7.99, so I couldn't pass it up.

About Open Range, me and my wife love that movie. It is a slow paced movie at the beginning but quickly picks up steam half way into it. For me, the story tells things in a realistic manner. Like how the men don't say much but when they do there is no beating around the bush, they say what they mean and act the way they feel. Plus that shootout scene has to be right up there with one of the best ever filmed, simply amazing. Like I said I love that movie. I wish Costner would do more westerns.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I agree with Emmanuel and Todd,
    Costner is at his best in Weterns.
    In Silverado, I think he was good,
    Wyatt Earp, probably not as good as Kurt Russell,
    but you couldn't fault him, in Dances
    and Open Range,

The last western, I've watched, 'The Return of Frank James'
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Originally posted by SXViper@Nov 4 2005, 12:48 AM
    Plus that shootout scene has to be right up there with one of the best ever filmed, simply amazing.

[snapback]22787[/snapback]

I agree with you on that point. It seemed more realistic because not every bullit hit flesh. Lots of misses like it really was back then. It is one of the best parts of the film.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

Originally posted by SXViper@Nov 4 2005, 12:48 AM
    I just bought "True Grit" when I was down in Atlanta and watched in on my laptop when doing the airport thing. So that was my last western watched. I know, what a lamo for not having True Grit yet. Hey what can I say, I just never seemed to pick it up when I had the chance, I found it a store down in Marietta, it was $7.99, so I couldn't pass it up.

[snapback]22787[/snapback]

Hi Viper -
    I only purchased my DVD of "True Grit" in September, so I'm lagging in my sensibilities too. I hadn't seen it in a long time, so watching it again brought back memories, plus I didn't realize what a good film this was. I thought the accolades for Duke was its main claim to fame, but the acting and characterizations were way above average, not to mention the photography (but Arkansas never looked like this).

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker@Nov 4 2005, 06:56 PM
    Hi Viper -
    I only purchased my DVD of "True Grit" in September, so I'm lagging in my sensibilities too. I hadn't seen it in a long time, so watching it again brought back memories, plus I didn't realize what a good film this was. I thought the accolades for Duke was its main claim to fame, but the acting and characterizations were way above average, not to mention the photography (but Arkansas never looked like this).

[snapback]22794[/snapback]

Hi Jay,
    The True Grit was filmed at Arkansas?
    Regards,
    Vera

• Hi Vera,
    The novel was set in Arkansas,
    but the film was shot in Colorado,
    centered around Montrose.
    There was lots of criticism at the time,of course
    because the two States, were nothing like each other at all!!

Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England