There are 997 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 266,513 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Enjoy our community Ad free with a membership.

• Hi Guys

Thanks for the compliments, and glad your enjoying it.

On this day 21 May

71 years ago Central Airport was released in Denmark. John Wayne is just visible playing a stranded passenger on a ditched plane.

101 years ago the actor and director Robert Montgomery was born he appeared in They Were Expendable.

88 years ago the actor Raymond Burr was born. Best known as Ironside and Perry Mason he had a small part in Without Reservation

104 years ago the actorSam Jaffe was born probably his best known film was in the title role of Gungah Din but he also appeared with John Wayne in the Barbarian and the Geisha.

60 years ago Lauren Bacall married Humphrey Bogart

Regards

Arthur

PS IMDB qoutes that the actor Douglas V Fowley died on this day . I qouted him as passing away on April 21. Like Mark Twain reports of his death were exagerated, I think that I was a month in advance of both his birth and death. Sorry for that

• Hi

On this day 22nd May

48 years ago the actor Torbin Meyer died he was in The Conqueror

70 years ago The Desert Trail was released in the US

76 years ago The black Watch was relased in the US

50 years ago The editor and director Fred Allen died he directed Ride him Cowboy.

49 years ago Anita Ekberg who featured in La Dolci Vita and briefly in Blood Alley married the British pin up actor Anthony Steel. The marriage eventually failed. Ekberg retired and currently lives in Rome. Steel became an alcholic and at one time was discovered destitute living on a park bench in London. He died a few years ago.

and the most important date

26 years ago Maureen O'Hara and Elizabeth Taylor appeared in Washington before a congressional commitee to approve the award of a congressional medal to John Wayne.

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

On this day 23rd May

26 years ago The united States Congress approved the Award of a congressional medal to John Wayne the inscription said 'JOHN WAYNE AMERICAN'

130 years ago the actor Max Davidson was born.

107 years ago the actor Frank McHugh was born

27 years ago John Wayne was included in the television programme the Best Oscar actors.

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

On this day 24th May

49 years ago the actor Guy Kibbee died aged 74.

30 years ago John Wayne offered Vietnamese war veterans land for farming

83 years ago the actor and stunt man Leroy Johnsone was born he appeared in How The West Was Won and The Alamo.

98 years ago the actor Willis bouchey was born, one of John Fords stock company he appeared in many pictures with John Wayne.

36 years ago the actor Paul Birch died aged 57.

123 years ago the actor Crighton Hale was born he was in the John Ford picture Annie Laurie.

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

On this day 25th May

42 years ago The Fighting Seabees was re-released in Denmark

69 years ago The Lonely Trail was released in the United States

108 years ago the actor Arthur Loft was born.He appeared in War of the Wildcats

117 years ago the British actor Miles Malleson was born he appeared in The Magnificent Showman

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

On this day 26th May

98 years ago JOHN WAYNE was born in Winterset who would have thought all those years ago that he would go on achieve legendary status.

26 years ago having been approved three days earlier the congressional medal was published Public Law 96-15 (although as an Englishman I haven't a clue what that actually means)

40 years ago the film Hatari was given a limited release in Portugal.

34 years ago Big Jake was released in the United States

'You can call Dad, you can call me Father, you can call me Jacob and you can call me Jake. You can call me a dirty old son-of-a-bitch, but if you EVER call me Daddy again, I'll finish this fight'
    (Big Jake)

23 years ago The television programme Entertainment tonight devoted a section of the programme to the 3rd anniversary of Dukes death.

The days are beginning to roll ever ominously forward to the black period of the year and the sombre moments that would issue forth in the next few weeks.

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

On this day 27th May

38 years ago The War Wagon was released in the United States
    Lomax: Mine hit the ground first.
    Taw Jackson: Mine was taller.
    The War Wagon

70 years ago Lee Meriweather was born

72 years ago Somewhere in Sonora was released in the United States

107 years ago the Cinematographer Lee Garmes was born

36 years ago the actor Jeffrey Hunter died aged 42 after an accident in his home.

56 years ago The actress Rita Hayworth who featured in Circus World married Prince Aly Khan.

72 years ago The actress Dorothy Jordon whose best role arguably was as Martha Edwards in the 1956 film 'The Searchers', married the Producer Merian C Cooper.

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

On this Day 28th May

72 years ago the actor Earl McCarthy died aged 27 he appeared in Words and Music and died from a heart attack.

43 years ago The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was released in The United Kingdom
    'This is the west sir, When the legend becomes fact print the legend!'

60 years ago The Flame of the Barbary Coast was released in the United States
    Not one of John Wayne's more favoured pictures by some nevertheless I liked it even allowing for some dreadful singing by Ann Dvorak.

74 years ago The actress Carroll Baker was born Best known for Baby Doll and Giant she was also in How The West Was Won.

36 years ago the Welsh actor Rhys Williams died aged 71 he played Charlie Styker in The Sons of Katie Elder

77 years ago the director Howard Hawks married Athole Shearer.

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

On This Day 29th May

46 years ago The film I Married A Woman was released in the United Kingdom

37 years ago John Wayne took part in the birthday tribute to Bob Hope Happy Birthday Bob and leading on

102 years ago Bob Hope was born in London. Duke appeared briefly in Hope's last film Cance My Reservation.

101 years ago The cinematographer Gregg Toland was born

111 years ago the director Josef von Sternberg was born he directed Jet Pilot.

51 years ago Kirk Douglas married Ann Buydens

68 years ago Rita Hayworth married Edward C Judson.

On this day26 years ago John Wayne was in hospital, he had celebrated his 72nd birthday two days earlier, a day late because of his illness, and everyone knew that the end was drawing neigh. In an effort to ease his discomfort he was being given morphine intravenously.

The next thirteen days were to be traumatic.

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

On this day 30th May

103 years ago Stephin Fetchit one of John Fords favourite actors was born

82 years ago the actor Jimmy Lydon was born. He appeared in a picture with John Wayne that many have never seen but will in August hopefully - Island in the Sky.

38 years ago the British actor Claude Raines died aged 77 he was in The Greatest Story Ever Told.

17 years ago Ella Raines died aged 67.

14 years ago the actor Douglas Fairbanks jr (The life of Jimmy Dolan) married Vera Shelton.

34 years ago Jennifer Jone married Simon Norton

36 years ago Natalie Wood (The Searchers) married Richard Gregson

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

On this Day 31st May

63 years ago In Old California was released in the United States

60 years ago Back to Bataan was released in the United States
    'Maj Hasko: I send out 100 men, they find nothing.
    I send out 10 men, they don't come back'.
    Back to Bataan

71 years ago The actor Jim Hutton was born he was in The Green Berets a talented actor.

107 years ago the entertainer 'Whispering' Jack Smith was born he appeared in Cheer Up And Smile.

53 years ago the actor Jack Magrill died among others he was in They Were Expendable

71 years ago the actor Lew Cody died aged 50

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

On this day June 1st - Half way through the year and where has the time gone, is that a sign of getting old I wonder?

71 years ago The singer and actor Pat Boone was born, he appeared in The Greatest Story Ever Told.

90 years ago the British actor Robert Newton was born, best known for his portrayal of Long John Silver in Treasure Island see him in The High and The Mighty,

28 years ago the actor Jack Mullhall died he had a minor role in
    I Married A Woman

32 years ago Mary Korman died aged 57 she played in John Wayne's Monogram Lone Star films'

35 years ago Tex Driscoll died aged 80 he had a minor role in Stagecoach

• Hi

On this day 2 June

138 years ago Chief John Big Tree was born he appeared in Stagecoach and She Wore A Yellow Ribbon

"6 years ago The actor Jim Hutton died age 45

53 years ago the actress Angie Dickinson married Gene Dickinson.

Reards

Arthur

• I just nocited that Jim Hutton died within only days of Duke also passing away.He was so young.

-IHW

• Hi

I think that if both men had lived longer Jim Hutton would have become one of John Wayne's favourite co workers.

On this Day 3rd June

1 year ago the actor Anthony Quinn died aged 86 he was in Tycoon and Back to Bataan

1 year ago the British actor Harold Goodwin died he had a minor role in The Longest Day

6 years ago the restored version of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was shown on German television

81 years ago the actress Colleen Dewhurst was born she appeared in The Cowboys

Some of the next eleven days will contain imformation and facts leading up to and following the death of John Wayne.

It is my intention to cover this in a sensitive and non sensational way, and in no way is it intended for anyone to take offence. If the facts are too hard to take I will apologize now, but I hope a very sad event for us all will pass as smoothly as possible.

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

On this day 4th June

50 years ago The Sea Chase was released in the United States.

52 years ago After a fifteen day hearing, in the preliminary hearing of the annullment of the marriage between Chata and John Wayne, the judge ordered John Wayne to continue paying the mortgage and mainenance on his estate. He was also ordered to pay Chata $1,100 dollars per month. Apparently he left court smiling. The final hearing was to be held in October.

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

On this day 5th June

127 years ago the actor Franklin Farnum was born

71 years ago Randy Rides Alone was premiered in the United States

26 years ago In the programme How the West Was Fun the actor Glenn Ford paid tribute to John Wayne

At the same time with the end now approaching:-

In hospital John Wayne was taken off intravenous nourishment

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

On this day 6th June

75 years ago Born Reckless was released in the United States.

26 years ago as near as I can work it out, Pat Stacey celebrated her 38th birthday.
    Michael Wayne drove her into town and on her return to the Hospital she was given four unsigned birthday cards from John Wayne. He had woken up and remembered it was her birthday and asked for some cards to be bought but wasn't well enough to sign them.

Regards

Arthur

• Hi

On this day 7th June

108 Years ago the actor \frank Eldridge was born. He played a minor role in 'They Were Expendable'

14 years ago Shepherd of the Hills was given its television premier in Germany.

38 years ago El Dorado was released in the United States

[size=8]
    COLE: Did you get him?
    MISSISSIPPI: Who?
    COLE: The Fella that ran outta the church.
    MISSISSIPI: Well yes and no.
    COLE: Yes or no? Did you get him or didn't you?
    MISSISSIPPI: I hit the sign and the sign hit him.
    COLE: Well that's great.
    MISSISSIPPI: He was limping when he left.
    COLE: He was limping when he got here.

El Dorado.

Regards

Arthur