Mantz - Paul

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,810 times. The latest Post () was by Cole Thornton.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi

I have just finished the pen picture of the stunt pilot Paul Mantz a noted stunt pilot and supporting actor who during the 30s 40s and 50s was recognised as one of the greatest stunt flyers of his age.

He was later the subject of the book Hollywood Pilot and I wonder if any one has read the book or knows anything of him.

Apparently he had a taste of adventure and a streak for daredevil stunts such as buzzing a train full of high ranking officers that got him thrown out of the Air Corps.He seems similar to the john Wayne Character Spig Wead in Wings of Eagles, a film incidentaly that he worked on.

He was persuaded to come out of retirement in 1965 to work on the Flight of the Phoenix and was killed in a plane crash.

Like to hear from anyone with info.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur -
    I remember when that happened. Your post doesn't specify, but Mantz died flying the actual aircraft that the characters in the film supposedly had built from the parts of the original C-119 in the story. As I recall, Mantz's partner (I can't remember his name)in the flying company continued the operation for many years afterward, doing yeoman work for film companies all around.
    Cheers - Jay :)

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Jay

Thanks for that apparently they were flying in the Buttercup valley, I didn't know it was the rebuilt plane he was flying. Looking on Google it seemed he used to be the pilot that flew through hangers and under bridges.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Arthur;

Jay is right about Paul Mantz, and he was one of the Great Pilots of the last Century. He and His partner, Tallman I think that is how you spell his name. :angry:

And the name of their Company was Tallman-Mantz Aviation and they had a Aviation Museum at the Orange County Airport that would later become John Wayne Airport after the Duke past on. :rolleyes:

And yes they had built a flying aircraft for the film from a Junked C-119 Boxcar Aircraft and that is the aircraft that he was killed in.

If you go to Earthlink- Google on the Net there are many Sites on Paul Mantz and will tell you just about everything you want to know about Paul Mantz!!!

Chilibill :cowboy:

• Hi Chilibill & Arthur - Frank Tallman, that was the name I was looking for. Along with Paul Mantz, the two formed Tallmantz Aviation. I don't know if Tallman is still alive. Between the two, they were responsible for a healthy percentage of aerial scenes done for the movies over the years.
    Cheers - Jay :)

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Jay and Wlliam

Thanks for the pointer reading some of the informationis fascinating.
    Apparantly The plane should have been flown by Tallman but he shattered his kneecap and Mantz had to take over.

A few days later Tallman had his leg amputated as a result of the accident but learned how to fly with one leg and was soon back doing stunts until April 5th 1978 when he was killed.

The beauty of this board is the knowledge that it contains and the leads given

Thanks

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I first saw the name Paul Mantz in the credits to one of my favorite movies, Strategic Air Command after an aviation fan I know from another messageboard mentioned him. Now, I see Mantz's name in so many films from the 1950s. Definitely one of the unsung legends of Hollywood.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."