Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

There are 297 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 209,371 times. The latest Post () was by Bravo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Elly and myself, on behalf of the JWMB,
    would like to extend our thanks to Rough Rider,
    and his help in updating this list.

As a result, a few movies that were considered unavailable,
    are now, well, available.

Thanks.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• We certainly would! THANKS for the new info.

Now have you got copies of these ones you said were on ebay and if so...

well you know what the next question is dont you:wink:

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• How nice that would be and there are a few more that Fox could restore and release.

I have the restored Ford at fox collection which includes Four Sons and they did a great job with that.

Not to mention Hangman's House.

Here are some grabs showing Wayne's three speechless roles in the film, which I'm sure you've already seen:

http://www.vanc.igs.net/~rough…phics/hangman's_house.jpg

• Not to mention Hangman's House.

Here are some grabs showing Wayne's three speechless roles in the film, which I'm sure you've already seen:

http://www.vanc.igs.net/~rough…phics/hangman's_house.jpg

Hi RR

yes I just forgot when I was posting this message what the other one was.

Hangmans House. However the other Ford films (non JW) in the collection were really good films as well and a bonus to have.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Elly, thanks for sharing the stills with everyone.

Thanks to Rough Rider's and Elly's new information.
    This list as at 11th. December 2009, has now been updated.

The stills were from me, Keith. I just couldn't resist looking for Wayne's scenes in Hangman's House and sharing them.

I've yet to watch Four Sons, but when I do (maybe tomorrow) has anyone actually spotted Wayne in the film as a guard, and if so where should I look with my finger ready on the pause trigger?

About the updated list...where can I find it? Sorry, it's probably obvious but I'm parched and lost in the Arizona desert <g>.

• The stills were from me, Keith. I just couldn't resist looking for Wayne's scenes in Hangman's House and sharing them.

I've yet to watch Four Sons, but when I do (maybe tomorrow) has anyone actually spotted Wayne in the film as a guard, and if so where should I look with my finger ready on the pause trigger?

About the updated list...where can I find it? Sorry, it's probably obvious but I'm parched and lost in the Arizona desert <g>.

Hi RR,

Accept my thanks now, for sharing the stills with Elly,
    who shared them us all!!

I have Four Sons but it's been a while ago,
    since I watched it.

The updated list, is at the top of this thread.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• A few comments about the list:

Men Without Women is available of course, as shown on television, but the print is incomplete since it's derived from a work print. Although it runs at 73 minutes, the film was copyrighted at 7,774' which is just over 86 minutes, but the general consensus is that it was originally 77 minutes. In the book John Ford: The Man and His Films, the author, Tag Gallagher, states, "The only known surviving prints are of a silent edition with intertitles. The talking version seems lost." But the book was published in 1988, probably before the work print was discovered and preserved by the Museum of Modern Art. So the work print has limited sound along with intertitles in an attempt to best recreate the original sound version. In summary, the film--the one in circulation--should be listed as incomplete.

The AFI has nothing to do with Adventure's End. A video dealer here in Canada told me on the phone that he knows of a collector who has a 16mm print of the film, but refuses to make it available on DVD or any other medium.

Sweetheart of Sigma Chi, the 1933 version, is available. I saw it on eBay a few years ago but it disappeared, perhaps for copyright reasons (the music not the actual film). The Sigma Chi Fraternity has a video copy of the 1933 version. They want to make it available to others, but can't until they figure out the rights situation.

Annie Laurie is in circulation, too, since I've been told by a few people that someone out there has it but wants $200.

• Rough Rider,

Once again thanks for your comments and updates,
    and I have edited the list accordingly.
    Obviousy an on going situation with these rare movies, continually changing their status!
    but least we're getting there, in having the most concise list available

RR and Elly, do you think the list should still include the films
    that are now clearly 'Available'?
    or would the list now be better served,and more concise, by just listing
    the movies that are still rare, lost or incomplete?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• RR and Elly, do you think the list should still include the films that are now clearly 'Available'?
    or would the list now be better served,and more concise, by just listing the movies that are still rare, lost or incomplete?

Keith, I think you nailed it in that last line. Even though some of them are 'available' it is at a high price, or being clutched in the hands of someone who's not wanting to let go (which ends up making it 'rare'). It also seems that 'incomplete' would be appropriate to add to the description. But if every title is accounted for, I guess we could remove the designation 'lost'.

Just my two cents . . .

Chester

• Elly, do you think the list should still include the films
    that are now clearly 'Available'?
    or would the list now be better served,and more concise, by just listing
    the movies that are still rare, lost or incomplete?

YES PLEASE!!!

If you give me a copule of days I am working on putting together a much more concise list of ONLY those films that I do not have a copy of (which includes the 4 truly LOST at this point in time). I will also provide evidence of why the ones I do not have should be on the list and a reference to where there is a print (eg UCLA)

CHESTER

Those ones considered "rare" have not been unavailable or highly priced I have ALWAYS said I would provide copies of these at a reasonable price to anyone who wanted one. And in some cases I have given these away free, even paying for the shipping myself.

SO BACK TO KEITH

For the reason I stated above I would be happy for the list to be more concise and even for a note to be added that I have those considered rare and would be willing to provide copies.

Edited 2 times, last by Elly: spelling ().

• CHESTER

Those ones considered "rare" have not been unavailable or highly priced I have ALWAYS said I would provide copies of these at a reasonable price to anyone who wanted one. And in some cases I have given these away free, even paying for the shipping myself.

Elly,

I hope you didn't think there was ANY reference to you in my remark above! Certainly NO offense was intended, as you have absolutely been open, honest and generous with our membership.

My apologies if I offended you in any way!

:wub:

Chester

• hi Jim

No I did not think there was any reference to me and therefore you did not offend me. I was just reminding you and others that I am prepared to share what I have.

• On this subject and as recently metioned by Rough rider the LIST of Rare and lost JW films along with other lists is hard to find!!

How about this as a forum

"JOHN WAYNE - his comprehensive Body Of Work"
    subtitle: complete list of JW films, complete list of JW books etc

If the seperate lists (complete list of JW films, complete list of JW books , complete list of JW awards etc) were sticky items only able to be edited by admin, then we could separate out the discussion?

It might make it easier to find these and perhaps make JWMB know as the place for the definitive answer!

And of course we would need a little GEM (wink Keith, Chester, Kevin) to make sure anything going on in other threads, forums, relative to "THE LISTS is incorporated.

Edited 2 times, last by Elly: spelling ().

• Elly,

I have now sperated the 'Lists' and made them 'Sticky' and Closed,
    The other threads are now the discussion ones.

I have modified the whole 'Sticky' section. so that it is more a sub-forum.

This is on the way to achieving our goal.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Thanks Keith.

However, my point is that a BODY of work is all encompassing and this is under MOVIE REVIEWS but we have a soundtrack list, TV list, featurette list etc, and somewhere there is a book list that should be amongst it. None of these are movies.

So imho we should have a prominent place for all of this work. After all it was one of the first things I searched out when I became a collector IE

What WORK including movies is associated with John Wayne? then I moved onto the wider issue of what books were written about him, what awards did he win etc

Failing a prominent place then how about including in the subtitle of the Forum called MOVIE REVIEW, a note saying there is a comprehensive and complete list of All JW body of work (amongst other things)

Also where is the filmography please I did not see it on the sticky list.

I shall try to get some time over the next few weeks to look at the lists you have made sticky, I suspect they are a wee bit out of date. I shall copy and edit them then email them to you so you can update the sticky list.

Edited once, last by Elly ().

• Hi Elly,

Duke's Filmography has always been and still is,
    in the 'Sticky' List.

It would be good to modify our other lists, thanks.

I asked Kevin sometime ago, to create a Sub-Forum,
    and I shall mention it to him again.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Keith

I am so sorry it is there on the sticky list I just did not see it when I looked before. My humble apologies and thanks so much for speaking to Kevin about a sub forum.

All of your efforts are very much appreciated and not just by me :wink_smile:

I am working on the lists as I write this just having a quick break but as it is 1 am I may need to get some sleep soon.

Edited once, last by Elly: spelling ().

• Hopefully doing it right now,
    and I have already moved'Books'
    into the Movie thread and then
    I will move the other lists too.
    Let me know what else you want in there.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hopefully doing it right now,
    and I have already moved'Books'
    into the Movie thread and then
    I will move the other lists too.
    Let me kow what else you wnat in there.

Thanks Keith and Kevin

it looks great.

When we get them all up to date it will be something I am sure will attract lots of visitors to the board, particularly if it is picked up during a goole search etc.