Twirling Revolvers

There are 3 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,157 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Seems as though I saw something about this before... Kindly direct me to the post and I'll read them. I did some searches, but never found what I was looking for.

I love to watch John Wayne spin the revolvers (Searchers, Liberty Valance). I know these are not real, but they are replicas of large caliber revolvers. I handle a .357 and there is no way I could ever spin it like that. I'm no where near as large as Duke and I have small hands, but I'm still amazed watching this. I was wondering if the guns in the movies are much lighter than the real thing, or was Duke just real good at this. I'm assuming the guns in the movies were supposed to be .45's.

My heroes have always been cowboys.

• Nathan;

I have several real Colt 45s and Non Shooter Movie 45s and you are right about Spinning a fully loaded Colt 45, but I do not try to Spin any of them with Live Ammo!!! I do not want to Shoot Myself. :fear2: I do have Dummy Movie Ammo. that has every thing but a Live Primer and Powder but it still makes the Colt pretty heavy. The Movie 45s are much lighter and are made out of Pot Medal, and are EZ to Spin. :jump:

Chilibill :cowboy:

• Thanks for the information, Chilibill! I knew from your background that you would have the answer for me.

After I posted the question I began thinking that people might have the wrong impression. No - I haven't attempted to twirl a revolver. I just always enjoyed watching it done, and Duke always made it look so easy. :rolleyes:

-ncb

My heroes have always been cowboys.