What Was Your First John Wayne Movie?

There are 29 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,150 times. The latest Post () was by duke564ever.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• When I was in first grade 1959.
    Duke was a feature player for the star Ricky Nelson. And Grandpa McCoy.

Hey what do you want I was only six!!!! :stunned:

Rick

SASS 39065 Life
    BOLD 114

• I honestly cannot remember which Duke movie I saw first but it would have to be one of the following:

The Alamo.
    The Longest Day.
    Rio Lobo.
    Big Jake.
    True Grit.
    Rooster Cogburn.

Definately one made after 1959 though. Also, when The Shootest came out in the theaters, I was too young to be allowed to buy a ticket to see it alone. I could not convince either parent to come back to the theater to buy a ticket and watch it. That was the only chance for me to see The Duke on the big screen. :(

I sure wish some multi-millionnaire would open a theater here in my area that only plays the older movie classics. I wonder if there is such a theater in San Antonio????????

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Aug 22 2005, 06:20 PM
    I sure wish some multi-millionnaire would open a theater here in my area that only plays the older movie classics. I wonder if there is such a theater in San Antonio????????

[snapback]20731[/snapback]

Hi Carl -
    Not that I know of at the present time. The Olmos Theatre on San Pedro used to show vintage movies back in the 70s and early 80s, but that closed up. I remember seeing the 1959 "Ben Hur" there on the big screen and it was amazing. I don't remember seeing any John Wayne movies there, however. It may be that I just missed them since the Olmos had a different movie every day.
    There is a event called "Cinema Tuesdays" sponsored by KPAC, the classical music station here, where they run a vintage movie every week, but it is a mix of film noir, foreign and a hodge-podge pick of various movies, ranging from the 30s through the 80s, but none of Duke's movies so far.
    Cheers - Jay :rolleyes:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• [COLOR=blue][FONT=Times]
    I never saw a John Wayne movie on the big screen, but I've seen many of them in the comfort of my home - both growing up - my father raised me correctly, teaching me to love God, family, country, and the Duke! - and now that I have kids of my own, I try to pass on the same. The first J.W. movie that I remember seeing was The Sons of Katie Elder. It was also the first John Wayne video that I ever purchased. I have a question - i remember seeing a John Wayne film when I was a kid that had Dean Martin as a bad guy who got John sent to prison and took over his ranch. John comes back to get even. The details are a little sketchy because I never saw the movie again. Does anyone know what movie I'm talking about or I just imagining all of this?

Dusty :agent:

Originally posted by dusty@Sep 20 2005, 03:24 PM
    i remember seeing a John Wayne film when I was a kid that had Dean Martin as a bad guy who got John sent to prison and took over his ranch. John comes back to get even. The details are a little sketchy because I never saw the movie again. Does anyone know what movie I'm talking about or I just imagining all of this?

[snapback]21525[/snapback]

Hi Dusty - Welcome to the John Wayne Message Board where you usually will find the answers to any of your questions about John Wayne. Since I've found myself a little addle-brained lately :headbonk: , I don't know if I can give you any insights on this. But I'll try. :wacko:
    I don't believe Dean Martin did any movies with John Wayne before "Rio Bravo."If I'm not mistaken, Martin only did "The Sons of Katie Elder" with Duke after that. The description you give fits "The War Wagon" plot, except Bruce Cabot was the villain who framed Duke and got him sent to prison and took over Duke's ranch. I can't think of any other John Wayne movie that fits that particular descripion in the 50s through the 70s.
    Cheers - Jay ^^

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I will forever remember seeing my first duke movie,it was She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, I couldnt have been more then 3 at the time, but the scene of the storm has been fixated in my mind ever since.

-IHW

• Even though I knew who John Wayne was by the time he died in June 1979, I don't remember if I had actually seen one of his movies by then. So I will recall the first Duke movie I ever saw as being The Alamo. It was quite an event for me, as I had just recently watched the Fess Parker Davy Crockett "movies" and eight year-old me was in a huge frontier mood at the time. The Alamo was played over two nights on one of the local TV stations, when there actually were independent stations! Oh, days of lost youth!

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• Just like Cole, the first Wayne movie I remember seeing was The Alamo. When I was six or seven, I went through the whole Davy Crockett/Alamo/Fess Parker phase, which I never really grew out of. I watched it with my mom because naturally, I asked millions of questions. The first time I watched it, I think I cried as all the main characters were killed off. Or at least I think so.

I also remember Rio Bravo and Big Jake. Big Jake was shown in a 2-hour slot on TBS or TNT for Weekend with the Duke and it got to the point where I was reciting whole scenes of dialogue, especially those between Wayne and Richard Boone. Remember, I was probably only 7 or 8, saying "I'm gonna blow your head off."

I guess its fitting that these are my three favorite John Wayne movies.