What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,474,185 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Whispering Smith (1948)

-Alan Ladd, Robert Preston

Plot: IMDB

Legendary railroad detective Luke"Whispering" Smith becomes convinced that old friend and colleague Murray Sinclair(who happens to be married to Smith's Ex-Sweetheart) has joined a criminal band to loot the railroad.

Phantom's Review: This is a Great movie. Alan Ladd is perfectly cast as the hero. Robert Preston does a superb job as the happy go lucky friend who goes bad and Brenda Marshall as the woman who loves them both. Beautifully filmed in Technicolor. Solid action and story. Good supporting cast and direction. A classic for western fans

--

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Madron. Richard Boone, Leslie Caron.

First time I'd seen it since it was in theaters. I liked it then, I like it now. It was edited to remove an extremely violent scene of a male captive being emasculated. Better without it irregardless of cinema verite.

Those of you who know Western and Native American history know that captive torture included skinning people alive and emasculation. This film was the first foreign film made in Israel with a non-Israeli subject.

We're burning moonlight.

• Taggart" (1964)
    -Tony Young, Dan Duryea

Plot: IMDB
    Newly arrived settlers are attacked by local ranch owner Ben Blazer and his men. Kent Taggart sees his parents killed by Blazer's son, whom he tracks home. Taggart kills the boy in front of Blazer, himself dying of a wound, who then puts a price of $5,000 on Taggart's head, an offer enthusiastically taken up by ruthless killer Jason. Taggart has no option but to head out into hostile Apache country followed by Jason and other no-goods.

Phantom's Review: Based on a novel by Louis L'Amour, this is a solid well made western film. You might call it a "B+" movie. Solid direction,good cast and a wonderful story. Tony Young is good as the quintessential western hero. A square jawed man of few words, and Dan Duryea is great as the fast talking hired gunman out to get our hero. With Plenty of action. This a fine way to spend a movie watching afternoon.
    --

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• kansas raiders and arizona raiders with audie murphy
    last of the mohicans and belle starr with randolph scott
    the paleface and son of paleface with bob hope

• Geez, Carl, that's seven westerns in two days! I don't know whether to congratulate you or recommend you for movie rehab.

I, however, restricted/deprived myself to one - "The Searchers".

We deal in lead, friend.

• Watched the Hallelujah Trail yesterday, and laughed my tail off as usual!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• For the first time I saw Pat Garret and Billy the Kid. It wasn't my favourite. In attempting to take it in the context of the time in which it was made it still bored me. Nothing happened that was interesting. The F/X seemed to be the star of the film. Does that make me unappreciative?

All apologies to those who love the film. I'm fond of the actors but it seemed like a waste of film...at least the music was great. I know, I know, that's damning it with faint praise, but it's the best I could do.

We're burning moonlight.

• While I was waiting on the maintenance man to show up today, I decided to rewatch Rio Bravo. The closer I come to Christmas, the more Westerns ill be watching-mainly those of Duke, Gary Cooper and Errol Flynn ;-)) I save Three Godfathers and Along Came Jones and Rocky Mountain-for the big day itself ;-))

Oh and, FINALLY got around to ordering: Invasion USA w/ Peggy Castle, Darby's Rangers w/ James Garner and The Canterville Ghost w/ Chas Laughton. These are supposed to be in day before Christmas so--I have more greats to see before years end ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Recently I read Harry Carey's autobiography wherein he tells the tale of making the film, Three Godfathers. Somehow I've missed seeing that film. I need to get hold of it because he piqued my interest in it with all the challenges he wrote about in his book.

John Ford was an fascinating and complex character. I've read Maureen O'Hara's biography as well. It would seem she never figured out Ford's penchant for, for lack of a better term, messing with people's heads. She was a great mark for him all her life. Clearly he had a great time interfering with her life and she was cannon fodder and a people pleaser. It's unfortunate she never compared notes with some of her other actors. She may have learned much about her director...

We're burning moonlight.