Spanish Culture Influecne John Wayne?

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,009 times. The latest Post () was by bopoppa.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Can anyone tell me how the Spanish Culture have had influence on John Wayne's life?
    Excluding his wifes.

• Hello All
    I read this question when it was first posted and I see there have been no replys, perhaps the context of what you were thinking about might lend definition. I hope this leads to your getting some feedback. murray :blink:

Greetings from North of the 49th

Originally posted by nooblet@May 24 2006, 04:15 PM
    Can anyone tell me how the Spanish Culture have had influence on John Wayne's life?
    Excluding his wifes.

[snapback]31542[/snapback]

I will attempt to give you my opinion to this if I'm understanding the question right. I would say one of the most enduring of Duke's traits was his ability to bring about his points without having to say alot. When I visit my in-laws (Mexican wife) one of the fascinating things I have noticed is although the women never seem to have too many lulls in the conversations, for the most part the men talk seldom and are sometimes extremely stoic. Upon conversing with most of the men, not only are they brief in what they have to say, but sometimes very simplistic. This isn't to imply that they are simple minded, but that they make their point without adding a bunch of unneccesary conversation. I think we can all recognize that in the Duke. Another trait was Duke's machismo. I think a lot of times macho is associated with brash and foolish when it could equally be associated with self assurance. The Latino culture clearly distinguishes the roles between men and women from an early age. Their upbringing is very traditional compared to the way we in America have evolved over the last 40 years or so. The boys are brought up to be men and are expected to act that way, (not unlike what I witnessed while in Iraq) and the women are brought up more in a supporting role for the male. I know most of this is considered backwards these days, but Duke married three latina women for this very reason. I wouldn't ,however, want anyone reading this to make the mistake that ANY latina women in any capacity is demure or without spirit. As you can see, I dont have the stoic trait and I've probably gone on too long.

• Hello All
    Your last post is interesting. When you say that Duke married three Latino women for the reason mentioned I am curious if that is your opinion and if so what you base it on or if there is a record of Duke saying it or someone else. Things like this that have been shared on the board help to paint a picture of the character of Mr Morrison and I am glad you bring this up.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• A few weeks ago we had 7 people from Mexico City come into the 26 Bar ranch. There was only one Man and he was a Professor at the University of Mexico City and Spoke English, and and the Rest were Ladies and did not speak English. :(

After the Grand Tour of the Ranch they went into the Gift Shop and the Older Lady about my age, was buying everything in the place that had a picture of Duke on it. :fear2:

When Her U.S. Dollars ran out, She wanted to use Mexican Pesos. I said "NO PESOS, NO PESOS!" :fear:

I ask the Professor "What is it with you Mexicans about John Wayne?" :rolleyes: He ask the Older Woman about what I had said and She said in Spanish "He had Three Hispanic Wives and 7 1/2 Hispanic Children and a Big Ranch in Mexico and was always Good to "Us Mexican People," so in Mexico We Love Him!!!" :wub:

Chilibill :cowboy:

• kilo 6,
    Some of what I wrote was based on a lot of reading I did and the quotes therein. However, I am using a little of my own opinion that is formed by being married to a Mexican woman who most diffinitely wants a man's man. The quotes I refer to mostly reference the traditional warmth and values Duke liked and increasingly found harder to find in the Hollywood world he lived in.
    On a seperate note, I like this site. Say it like you mean it. Good people.

• You seem like one hell of a guy to meet Chilibill. Hopefully I can stop by the ranch one of these days.