Any fans of the Horatio Hornblower movie series here?

There are 5 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,588 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Just wondering? Also, many of the actors in those movies all did a great job in their roles. Is anyone (besides me) familiar with: Ioan Gruffudd (Horatio Hornblower), Robert Lindsey (Sir Edward Pellew) and Sean Gilder (Styles) etc.

Hornblower: "Right. A volunteer to be first down the privvy." H.H turns and spots one of his men (Styles) and says: "Styles" - who sighs in disgust and disbelief at being ""volunteered"" for that asignment.

Anyway, is anyone here a fan of these actors as well? I think both Gruffudd and Lindsey are from Wales???

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Ioan Gruffud was in "Fantastic Four."
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Hi Jay, I had not seen the movie yet nor knew he was in that film. What part did he play? Also, was the movie anygood? I used to collect the F.F. comic books many years ago. I can't imagine Ioan as The Thing--or Susan Storm for that matter ;-D

• Hi Carl

Robert Linsey was born in Derbyshire and is currently starting a new series of comedy programmes called my family with Zoe Wannamaker. In it he plays a dentist, its not very good. He came to fae o British television playing Wolfie Smith a Trotskie reveloutionary in the comedy Citizen Smith. He's war cry was power to the people and he was in charge of about four idiots who belonged to his part the Tooting National Front.

This is what IMDB has to say about him

Date of Birth

13 December 1949, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, England, UK

Birth Name

Robert Lindsay Stevenson

Height

5' 10" (1.78 m)

Spouse

Rosemarie Ford(31 December 2006 - present) 2 childrenCheryl Hall(1974 - 1980) (divorced)

Trivia

Lives with Rosemarie Ford in Buckinghamshire; the couple have two sons, Samuel, born 18 November 1999 and James Lindsay Stevenson, born 8 April 2003. They married in a civil ceremony on New Year's Eve 2006.
    Had a fifteen-year relationship with Diana Weston , which foundered in 1994. One daughter, Sydney Stevenson from this relationship.
    Named as one of twelve "Outstanding New Actors of 1989" in John Willis' Screen World, Vol. 41.
    Best known for his singing, dancing and affable clowning, Robert is a heavyweight Shakespearean having performed, among many others, Hamlet and Richard III on stage, and Lysander in A Midsummer Night's Dream (1981/I) (TV) on TV.
    Robert was ushered to Hollywood via the Tony Award-winning success of "Me and My Girl". The movie Bert Rigby, You're a Fool (1989) was specifically designed to showcase his delightful song-and-dance talents and show-off his charm and magnetism that scored so well with audiences, but the story was rather soporific and took a nosedive at the box office.
    Starred with first wife Cheryl Hall in one of his popular 70s series "Citizen Smith" (1977). They divorced after six years.
    When Robert Played Wolfie in "Citizen Smith" (1977), his favourite War Cry was "Power to the people!".
    He was awarded the Laurence Olivier Theatre Award in 1986 (1985 season) for Best Actor in a Musical for "Me and My Girl".
    He was awarded the 1997 Laurence Olivier Theatre Award for Best Actor in a Musical of the 1996 season for his performance in Oliver! at the London Palladium.
    Became an Associate Member of RADA.
    Graduated from RADA.
    Won Broadway's 1987 Tony Award as Best Actor (Musical) for "Me and My Girl."
    Is an avid Derby County fan
    At the beginning of every Derby County match at home, the song 'Steve Bloomers Watchin' (named after the player) is played over the stadium, sung by Lindsay.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi GT, Arthur, my thanks to both you Gentlemen for more info.

GT, the Horatio Hornblower series of movies was made by the A&E Network and originally aired there as well. I first saw some of these back in the 90's and thought they were all excellent renditions of the series of novels that C.S. Forrester wrote. As far as I know, he wrote 12 books about the adventures of Horatio Hornblower and eight have been made into films. I am hoping the rest will as well. I recently was able to watch five of the films by checking out for free, the movies at out local library. They are also still available on DvD and I saw them fro sale at the http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com site and a few other sites. They are great if you want to "escape the modern world" for awhile.

Arthur, thank you very much for the info on Robert Lindsey. I've never seen him in anything else other than the H.H movies and thought he did a good job in them. I would like to see him come to Hollywood and maybe bring it back; some class.

Many thanks guys -- Carl.

Oh and, some really good movies and mini-series, have been produced and shown on the A&E Network. Two other examples I can think of that I have seen are: The Lost Battalion (which I have on dvd) and Napoleon (which is a 2-parter) and I don't yet have on dvd. Anyway, The Lost Battalion is a movie that has Rick Schroder (of Silver Spoons TV series fame) portraying American army major: Whittelsey - who was in command of the famous "Lost Battalion" in the Argonne Forest in WWI. Whittelsey BTW, was a Medal of Honor Recipient and while on a cruise ship I think in 1922, committed suicide by leaping over the ships rail into the frigid waters below.