The Alamo (1960)

There are 626 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 527,457 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Since I can't afford to make the pilgrimage to San Antonio, every March 6, I rise early, put on a pot of coffee and watch the director's cut of "The Alamo" on laser disc.

Lest we forget.

• I love the Alamo but can never understand why it was so inaccurate in its telling of the events.I suppose hollywood is hollywood but why go to so much trouble and then not deliver the real story.

• I love the Alamo but can never understand why it was so inaccurate in its telling of the events.I suppose hollywood is hollywood but why go to so much trouble and then not deliver the real story.

After 100 years, facts start getting mixed up, and who really knows exactly what the "Facts", are. There seems to be several versions of facts out there.
    I think Duke did the best he could at the time, and put together a very good rendition.

Chester :newyear:

• What Duke lacked in facts he put in spirit.
    And thats what the 2004 version forgot.
    That word is patriotism.
    ps. The alamo only sells the Wayne version. I have talked to the ladies who work in the Alamo gift shop and They told me they could not sell the newer version.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

Edited once, last by BILL OF PA ().

• I love the film,but why for example did he have Jim Bowies wife die while he was in the Alamo when its totally untrue?
    Or Davy Crockett telling Travis that he and his men from Tennesse were in Texas on a hunting trip,also totally untrue..
    I remember well all the critics comments on this and the movie flopped.
    I was and still am a huge fan of John Wayne.But facts are facts.

• Patrick.
    I also know he did not stick to the facts.
    For one he did not write the script. He had a lot on his plate.
    The newer version did a good job on the facts.
    Ask yourself one question.
    Which one do you like better?
    Look I have been a student of the Alamo for over 50 years.
    I have been there twice and read many books and own every version
    on film including (three silent versions).
    Even with all the inaccurcies I like Dukes the best.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

Edited once, last by BILL OF PA ().

• I really love the film and its much better than the recent one..Its probably more accepted now than when it was released.

• I completely agree, Duke's version is the best for me. Since most of the movie goers probably didn't know all the facts at that time, Duke went for entertainment, and to try to inspire people with the basic story. I think he succeeded.

• Yeah, this certainly is not a history lesson.
    Duke wanted to inspire patriotism in a public immersed in the Cold War and was willing to allow artistic license to trump accuracy. I recall that Duke instructed designer Al Ybarra to give him something "allegorical", resulting in the wooden cross on the chapel to be placed at a fallen angle. I think that was his philosophy about the script.
    Duke also did not show Travis drawing an actual line in the dirt and having the defenders cross it to stay. Instead it is more of a metaphysical crossing.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Not sure if I should post this in this thread or the other one but I finally watched The Alamo yesterday. Was a fantastic epic, the thing that stood out for me was the great quality of acting and touching scenes, at points was abit of a tear jerker even. Think this was arguably Duke's finest acting performance up there with Rio Bravo and The Searchers, he really kicked it up a notch in this one.

• After 100 years, facts start getting mixed up, and who really knows exactly what the "Facts", are. There seems to be several versions of facts out there.
    I think Duke did the best he could at the time, and put together a very good rendition.

Chester :newyear:

Folks here are still trying to sort out the facts. There seems to be a different version every time I turn around. More and more, Hispanic versions seem to be finding currency.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"