The Alamo (1960)

There are 626 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 527,466 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I made a 2-Disc DVD 8 years ago based on that tape. I used the UK VHS-PAL tape which had better colors than the LD/VHS from the US.
    It looks quite good, I put some work into it.

But the (tape) master from 1992 is not good enough for a DVD-release.
    I mean they could do it anyway and give their best shot. Would be better than nothing!
    But THE ALAMO should be restored and shine again in all its glory.

• Joking aside (meaning that Keith & I having the only VHS copy of the run time of 212 minute movie), I just saying that a master is out there for the complete director's cut of The Alamo..... For some reason the production company, studio, or family is holding this movie for a reason.

Maybe waiting for the proper release of The Alamo on Blu-Ray with the total time. Interesting to see that someone made a copy of this movie and used 2 DVDs to make their copy. Of course there are two VHS tapes of the movie.

I don't have the answer either, but I know there is a proper copy out there. I thing the John Wayne estate is holding it, IMO.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

Edited once, last by Hondo Duke Lane ().

• Jay, would this Englishman you mentioned be the singer Phil Collins? I know for a fact that Collins is a huge Alamo buff and in the last few years has become heavily involved in the festivities in March. I guess he's been an Alamo fan since he was a kid.

That was the name as I recall - I remember saying to myself, "Isn't that the singer?"

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Now Keith, would you think that if you have the 212 minutes on VHS which I also have a copy myself on this side of the pond, they (meaning the studio/family) would have one themselves? I just can't believe that you and I are the only ones who have it and no one else does.
    Cheers :cool: Hondo

Count me as one of the lucky souls!

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• There IS a complete director's cut master copy, but it is not in good condition and is in the process of being restored. Unfortunately, the last I heard, the funds needed are not there.

• March 6 is looming once again. I always try to watch Duke's "The Alamo" on that date. I've missed it only twice since the first VHS edition came out.
    If there's any time left, the Fess Parker version goes on right after.

We deal in lead, friend.

• [quote='Gorch','http://dukewayne.com/bb/index.php?thread/&postID=92184#post92184']March 6 is looming once again. I always try to watch Duke's "The Alamo" on that date. I've missed it only twice since the first VHS edition came out.

I will also watch on saturday. I also have the long version. I first saw this fine film uncut in 1960 at the ripe old age of thirteen. This fiim has had a very lasting affect on me to become a true history buff.
    I heard that they fly the city flags at half mast on the sixth. Is that true?

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Mission (I use that word with tongue firmly in cheek) accomplished. I watched the entire uncut "The Alamo" this morning.
    I was eleven when I first saw it in 1960, but not the director's cut. Hell, I didn't even know there was a director's cut then but I noticed a couple of stills in the souvenir book weren't in the movie.
    I had the good fortune to be stationed at Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio in the early '70s and the flags were half mast then, but I can't speak for anything more recent.

We deal in lead, friend.

• You're not wearing two of Roosters' eye patches. I'm having computer problems, so I have to either get smashed or grab a 12 year old neighbor kid to fix the problem. Probably not a great idea to do both.

We deal in lead, friend.

Edited once, last by Gorch ().

• The latest on the Alamo restoration from Home Theater Forum. A forum member asked Robert A. Harris the status of the restoration now that MGM has emerged from bankruptcy, and here is Mr. Harris' answer:

"Wish there was something to report. The tracks have been saved. The image languishes."

ARRRRGHHH.