General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,157,541 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Actor Stefan Gierasch died

I remember him in Jeremiah Johnson as Del Gue

Stefan Gierasch, an actor with 60 years of experience and best known for his role in the 1976 Stephen King adaptation “Carrie,” died Sept. 6 of a stroke in Santa Monica, Calif. He was 88.

During his career, Gierasch was cast in several roles that played on his rugged physicality. He worked alongside Robert Redford in 1972’s “Jeremiah Johnson” as the mayor of Lago. In 1973, Gierasch shared the screen with Clint Eastwood in “High Plains Drifter.”

In “Carrie,” Gierasch played the unsympathetic principal and antagonist to Sissy Spacek who was shocked by the bloody incident during the high school prom. He also appeared in “What’s Up Doc?” and “The New Centurions.”

On television, he appeared in “M*A*S*H,” “Barney Miller,” “The Incredible Hulk,” “The Untouchables” and “ER.” Gierasch also did work on Broadway, making his debut at 18 in 1944 in “Snafu,” and he also performed in the original production of “The Sound of Music.”

Born in New York, he studied at the Actors Studio with Marlon Brando, James Dean and Martin Landau. He is survived by his wife of 33 years, Hedy Sontag, and three children.

http://variety.com/2014/film/n…ie-dies-at-88-1201309687/

• Marcia Strassman from Welcome Back Kotter Died

Actress Marcia Strassman has died at the age of 66 after a long battle with breast cancer, her sister Julie Strassman confirmed. Though Marcia Strassman acted in a wide range of TV shows and feature films, she was best known for her lead roles in the TV show Welcome Back Kotter and the comedy feature Honey I Shrunk the Kids and its sequel, Honey I Blew Up the Kids. Strassman also served on the national board of the Screen Actors Guild.

“She was the funniest, smartest person I ever met,” said Julie Strassman of her sister. “And talented. She knew everything. Now I won’t be able to call her and ask her questions.”

News of Strassman’s death first emerged in online posts by two long-time friends, singer/actress Cher and director Bob Weide.

Strassman was born Apri 28, 1948 in New York City, and grew up in New Jersey.

She came to Los Angeles when she was just 18, her sister said. She was initially a singer in the late 1960s with some modest local success, most notably with The Groovy World of Jack and Jill and The Flower Children. She also had a few TV roles, including three episodes of The Patty Duke Show. She left show business for a time before returning as an actress in a recurring role as a nurse in M.A.S.H.

In 1975, Strassman had a breakout role in the TV hit Welcome Back Kotter, opposite comedian Gabe Kaplan, playing his frequently exasperated wife Julie.
    Strassman worked steadily thereafter, most notably in roles on several TV shows, including Tremors, Third Watch, Providence, Noah Knows Best, The Rockford Files and as a voice-over artist on the children’s animated show Aaahh!!! Real Monsters.

Her biggest film success came playing the wife and mother opposite Rick Moranis in Disney’s hit comedy Honey I Shrunk The Kids and its equally successful sequel, Honey I Blew Up The Kids.

Strassman was active in fundraising for various progressive and social causes, including breast cancer research and treatment even before she was diagnosed, her sister said. She was a member of the Screen Actors Guild national board, elected to a three-year term in 2010. Julie Strassman said her sister continued to sing, and had many other skills and a wide group of friends throughout Hollywood.

“She had more friends than anyone in the world,” Julie Strassman said. “She could do anything. She made clothes, made curtains, knitted sweaters for friends. She could dance.”

Strassman died Oct. 25 in her Sherman Oaks, Calif., home, after a seven-year fight with breast cancer. She is survived by her daughter, New York costume designer Elizabeth “Lizzie” Collector, whom Julie Strassman called her sister’s “great love.” She is also survived by brother Steven Strassman.

Services are pending, but Julie Strassman asked that in lieu of flowers, donations be made in her sister’s name to organizations fighting cancer.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/marcia-str...220306315.html

• Big Bang Theory Mrs. Wolowitz actress Carol Ann Susi dead

Character actress Carol Ann Susi, known as the voice of the unseen Mrs. Wolowitz on “The Big Bang Theory,” died Tuesday in Los Angeles after a brief battle with cancer, according to Warner Bros. Television. Susi was 62 and had appeared in numerous TV shows since the 1970s.

On “The Big Bang Theory,” she was heard in dozens of episodes as the offstage presence of the screechy, overbearing mother of Simon Helberg’s Howard Wolowitz.
    ” ‘The Big Bang Theory’ family has lost a beloved member today with the passing of Carol Ann Susi, who hilariously and memorably voiced the role of Mrs. Wolowitz. Unseen by viewers, the Mrs. Wolowitz character became a bit of a mystery throughout the show’s eight seasons. What was not a mystery, however, was Carol Ann’s immense talent and comedic timing, which were on display during each unforgettable appearance,” said a statement from Warner Bros. Television, CBS and “Big Bang Theory” exec producers Chuck Lorre, Steven Molaro and Bill Prady.

Born in Brooklyn, she studied acting in New York and moved to Los Angeles in the 1970s, where she was cast as Kolchak’s secretary in “The Night Stalker.” Among her other TV appearances were “Seinfeld,” “Murphy Brown,” “Cheers,” “Doogie Howser, M.D.,” “Mad About You,” “Just Shoot Me,” “Seinfeld” and “Six Feet Under.”

She is survived by her brother, Michael Susi.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/new…wolowitz-dies-1201354125/

• A voice that made my laugh with every line she said.
    RIP Mrs. Wolowitz

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Mike Nichols Died

Mike Nichols -- the legendary director who won the Oscar in 1968 for the classic film "The Graduate" -- died suddenly on Wednesday night. He was 83.

Nichols -- who was married to Diane Sawyer for the last 26 years -- is one of the few people to have won an Emmy, a Tony, a Grammy and an Oscar. His best known film include "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?," "Working Girl," "Silkwood" and "The Birdcage."

Nichols was also a prolific stage director, having helmed Neil Simon's "Barefoot in the Park," "The Odd Couple," and Arthur Miller's "Death of a Salesman" ... just two years ago. He also directed the critically acclaimed HBO miniseries "Angels in America."

Nichols is survived by three children and four grandchildren.

http://www.tmz.com#ixzz3JcE9RKZD