Dennis Hopper

There are 2 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,644 times. The latest Post () was by Juniormike.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• DENNIS HOPPER

Information From IMDb

Date of Birth
    17 May 1936, Dodge City, Kansas, USA

Date of Death
    29 May 2010, Venice Beach, California, USA (prostate cancer)

Birth Name
    Dennis Lee Hopper

Height
    5' 9" (1.75 m)

Spouse
    Victoria Duffy (12 April 1996 - present) (filed for divorce) 1 child
    Katherine LaNasa (17 June 1989 - 1992) (divorced) 1 child
    Daria Halprin (14 May 1972 - 1976) (divorced) 1 child
    Michelle Phillips (31 October 1970 - 8 November 1970) (divorced)
    Brooke Hayward (9 August 1961 - 1969) (divorced) 1 child

Trivia
    His 1970 marriage to Michelle Phillips lasted just a few days, during his wild and woolly, drug-fueled period. She also appears briefly in The Last Movie (1971), Hopper's almost-disastrously appropriately entitled solo directorial effort, following Easy Rider (1969). At one point in this era, Hopper was arrested after he was found raving, naked. After early success as a child star in theater, his movie career was practically stillborn when Louis B. Mayer banned him from the MGM lot after Hopper responded forcefully, in kind, when the mogul belittled his desire to play Shakespearen roles.

His house in Venice Beach, Los Angeles, is a radical architectural statement.

Ranked #87 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list. [October 1997]

Reported that Rip Torn has won a $475,000 defamation suit against Hopper. Lawsuit came about after remarks made by Hopper on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" (1992) on 31 May 1994. [14 March 1997]

Dennis Hopper married Victoria Duffy in Boston, at the Old South Church.

Lamenting to an audience Q & A in Sydney that he had "never had any great roles", Hopper nominated Splendor in the Grass (1961) as the one he most wished he'd been given.

Belongs to the Top 100 collectors of modern art.

Had his photography exhibited at Fort Worth, Denver, Wichita, Cochran, and Spileto art museums, as well as the Parco Gallery and in the cities of Tokyo, Osaka and Kumatomo, Japan.

As a youngster in Kansas City, he took classes taught by legendary painter Thomas Hart Benton, who told him: "One day you'll learn to get tight, and paint loose.".

At one time, was blackballed from Hollywood roles for eight years.

1 September 2000 - A Canadian judge dismissed marijuana charges against Hopper stemming from an October 1999 arrest in Calgary.

Father of Marin Hopper, born June 26th 1962, with Brooke Hayward.

In The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986), he says "Boys, boys, boys." when he first meets Leatherface and the Sawyer family. Hopper says the exact same thing when he first meets the heroes in Super Mario Bros. (1993).

Dennis and Victoria Duffy Hopper's first child, daughter Galen Grier Hopper, was born on March 26, 2003 in L.A.

His parents are Jay and Marjorie Hopper. His father died in 1982 and his mother remarried.

Graduate of Helix High School, La Mesa, California. Class of 1954, which voted him "Most Likely To Succeed."

Hopper is quoted in the book "Marilyn Beck's Hollywood" (1973) as saying that the Manson Massacre of Sharon Tate and friends was the backlash from a sex and drugs party the week previously, in which a drug dealer was tied up and whipped before a crowd for selling "bad dope" to the residents of 10050 Cielo Drive. As can be seen by Rip Torn's success in prosecuting a defamation suit against Hopper in the 1990s, he is not the most reliable witness to history.

James Dean learned he had an interest in photography when they worked together, and encouraged him to pursue it as an alternative to just being an actor. Hopper published a book of photos in the late 1980s, including pictures of stars he'd known, and thanked Dean.

Is portrayed by Jarrod Dean in The Mystery of Natalie Wood (2004) (TV).

Provided the narration for the Gorillaz song "Fire Coming Out Of The Monkey's Head".

Member of the US Republican Party.

Thinks that James Dean is the best actor he ever worked with since he met him on the set of Rebel Without a Cause (1955).

His performance as Frank Booth in Blue Velvet (1986) is ranked #54 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Movie Characters of All Time.

Has a son, with Katherine LaNasa, named Henry Hopper, born on September 1990.

Father of Ruthanna Hopper with Daria Halprin.

His acting career has taken him all over the world, and to date he has filmed movies in over 22 countries. (May 2007).

Despite his Republican affiliations, he intentionally parodied Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld while playing the greedy, racist villain, Mr. Kaufman in Land of the Dead (2005). He also voted for Barack Obama in the 2008 election.

Alumni of the Lee Strasberg Institute.

He thinks that the worst movie that he has ever done was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986).

Was due to appear in the Doctor Who 2007 Christmas Special, Voyage of the Damned, guest starring along with Kylie Minogue. However, Hopper wasn't available for long enough, so the part had to be recast. Clive Swift eventually took on Hopper's intended role, Mr Copper.

In 1999, he, his young son, Henry, and two buddies were in Jamaica, heading to a golf course to play a few holes. As they drove through a small village, a speeding truck barreled head-on into their car. Hopper's friends were badly injured in the crash -- broken legs, head traumas -- but Hopper climbed out of the passenger seat without a scratch. He pulled Henry, then 10 years old, from the backseat, covered in splattered blood, also eerily unhurt. "At that point, I really thought, maybe there is a force looking out for me, because I can't figure out how we survived," Hopper said.

Rushed to a New York City hospital with flu-like symptoms on September 30, 2009.

On 29 October 2009 he revealed that he was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2002.

Hospitalized at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles shortly before Christmas 2009.

Lived in Venice, California.

Received the 2,403th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on March 26, 2010.

Personal Quotes
    [1997]: Like all artists I want to cheat death a little and contribute something to the next generation.

In the 50s, when me and Natalie Wood and James Dean and Nick Adams and Tony Perkins (Anthony Perkins) suddenly arrived... God, it was a whole group of us that sort of felt like that earlier group - the John Barrymores, Errol Flynns, Sinatras, Clifts - were a little farther out than we were... So we tried to emulate that lifestyle. For instance, once Natalie and I decided we'd have an orgy. And Natalie says "O.K., but we have to have a champagne bath." So we filled the bathtub full of champagne. Natalie takes off her clothes, sits down in the champagne, starts screaming. We take her to the emergency hospital. That was *our* orgy, you understand?

[Quote from 2001]: I've been sober now for 18 years. With all the drugs, psychedelics and narcotics I did, I was [really] an alcoholic. Honestly, I only used to do cocaine so I could sober up and drink more. My last five years of drinking was a nightmare. I was drinking a half-gallon of rum with a fifth of rum on the side, in case I ran out, 28 beers a day, and three grams of cocaine just to keep me moving around. And I thought I was doing fine because I wasn't crawling around drunk on the floor.

I've been a Republican since Reagan. I voted for Bush and his father. I don't tell a lot of people, because I live in a city where somebody who voted for Bush is really an outcast.

I should have been dead ten times over. I've thought about that a lot. I believe in miracles. It's an absolute miracle that I'm still around.

[on James Dean] Jimmy was the most talented and original actor I ever saw work. He was also a guerrilla artist who attacked all restrictions on his sensibility. Once he pulled a switchblade and threatened to murder his director. I imitated his style in art and in life. It got me in a lot of trouble.

[talking on the phone with David Lynch after reading the Blue Velvet (1986) script] David, you have to let me play Frank because I am Frank.

[about his 8 days marriage with Michelle Phillips] The first seven were pretty good.

The alcohol was awful. I was a terrible alcoholic. I mean, people used to ask how much drugs I did. I said, 'I only do drugs so I can drink more'. I was doing the coke so I could drink more. I mean, I don't know any other reason. I'd start drinking in the morning. I'd drink all day long.

There are moments that I've had some real brilliance, you know. But I think they are moments. And sometimes, in a career, moments are enough. I never felt I played the great part. I never felt that I directed the great movie. And I can't say that it's anybody's fault but my own.

[on his Elegy (2008/I) co-star Penélope Cruz] I was aware of her, but when I saw this film, she is amazing. For the first time, I really looked at her as a woman - she's like a Sophia Loren, she's like this earth mother who has power. I was really impressed with her when I saw the film.

I am just a middle-class farm boy from Dodge City and my grandparents were wheat farmers. I thought painting, acting, directing and photography was all part of being an artist. I have made my money that way. And I have had some fun. It's not been a bad life.

I made a picture called Super Mario Bros. (1993), and my six-year-old son at the time - he's now 18 - he said, "Dad, I think you're probably a pretty good actor, but why did you play that terrible guy "King Koopa" in "Super Mario Bros."?" and I said, "Well Henry, I did that so you could have shoes", and he said, "Dad, I don't need shoes that badly".

I voted for Bush, father and son, but this time I'll vote for Obama. I was the first person in my family to have been Republican. For most of my life, I wasn't on the Left. I pray God Barack Obama is elected.

[On the years 1961 to 1967] I'm not really a person that looks back on my life, because it wasn't that pleasant to me. I have a lot of great memories, but I don't go there, because there are really dark memories too. The only regret I could have is that I wasn't directing movies. And that I wasn't really getting good parts. But I had a wonderful art experience during that period (his photography), and a life experience which I don't think I would trade, even for directing a movie. Because it was really a wonderful time. No, I don't think I would change anything.

[On the imprisonment of friend Phil Spector] I don't know if he shot that girl or not, but I know that if he did, it was an accident. When you play with guns, accidents happen.

Mini Biography
    Multi-talented and unconventional actor/director regarded by many as one of the true "enfant terribles" of Hollywood who has led an amazing cinematic career for more than five decades, Dennis Hopper was born on May 17, 1936, in Dodge City, Kansas. The young Hopper expressed interest in acting from a young age and first appeared in a slew of 1950s television shows, including "Medic" (1954), "Cheyenne" (1955) and "Sugarfoot" (1957). His first film role was in Johnny Guitar (1954), which was quickly followed by roles in Rebel Without a Cause (1955), Giant (1956) and Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957). Hopper actually became good friends with James Dean and was shattered when Dean was killed in a car crash in September, 1955.

Hopper portrayed a young Napoléon Bonaparte (!) in the star-spangled The Story of Mankind (1957) and regularly appeared on screen throughout the 1960s, often in rather undemanding parts, usually as a villain in westerns such as True Grit (1969) and Hang 'Em High (1968). However, in early 1969, Hopper, fellow actor Peter Fonda and writer Terry Southern, wrote a counterculture road movie script and managed to scrape together $400,000 in financial backing. Hopper directed the low-budget film, titled Easy Rider (1969), starring Fonda, Hopper and a young Jack Nicholson. The film was a phenomenal box-office success, appealing to the anti-establishment youth culture of the times. It changed the Hollywood landscape almost overnight and major studios all jumped onto the anti-establishment bandwagon, pumping out low-budget films about rebellious hippies, bikers, draft dodgers and pot smokers. However, Hopper's next directorial effort, The Last Movie (1971), was a critical and financial failure, and he has admitted that during the 1970s he was seriously abusing various substances, both legal and illegal, which led to a downturn in the quality of his work. He appeared in a sparse collection of European-produced films over the next eight years, before cropping up in a memorable performance as a pot-smoking photographer alongside Marlon Brando and Martin Sheen in Francis Ford Coppola's Vietnam War epic Apocalypse Now (1979). He also received acclaim for his work in both acting and direction for Out of the Blue (1980).

With these two notable efforts, the beginning of the 1980s saw a renaissance of interest by Hollywood in the talents of Dennis Hopper and exorcising the demons of drugs and alcohol via a rehabilitation program meant a return to invigorating and provoking performances. He was superb in Rumble Fish (1983), co-starred in the tepid spy thriller The Osterman Weekend (1983), played a groovy school teacher in My Science Project (1985), was a despicable and deranged drug dealer in River's Edge (1986) and, most memorably, electrified audiences as foul-mouthed Frank Booth in the eerie and erotic David Lynch film Blue Velvet (1986). Interestingly, the offbeat Hopper was selected in the early 1980s to provide the voice of "The StoryTeller" in the animated series of "Rabbit Ears" children's films based upon the works of Hans Christian Andersen!

Hopper returned to film direction in the late 1980s and was at the helm of the controversial gang film Colors (1988), which was well received by both critics and audiences. He was back in front of the cameras for roles in Super Mario Bros. (1993), got on the wrong side of gangster Christopher Walken in True Romance (1993), led police officer Keanu Reeves and bus passenger Sandra Bullock on a deadly ride in Speed (1994/I) and challenged gill-man Kevin Costner for world supremacy in Waterworld (1995). The enigmatic Hopper has continued to remain busy through the 1990s and into the new century with performances in The Night We Called It a Day (2003), The Keeper (2004) and Land of the Dead (2005).

As well as his acting/directing talents, Hopper is a skilled photographer and painter, having had his works displayed in galleries in both the US and overseas. He is additionally a dedicated and knowledgeable collector of modern art and has one of the most extensive collections in the US.
    IMDb Mini Biography By firehouse

Filmography
    Actor
    1. Alpha and Omega (2010) (post-production) (voice) .... Tony
    2. The Last Film Festival (2010) (completed) .... Nick Twain - Producer
    3. "Crash" .... Ben Cendars (26 episodes, 2008-2009)
    - Los Angeles (2009) TV episode .... Ben Cendars
    - Alone Again Or... (2009) TV episode .... Ben Cendars
    - Calm Like a Bomb (2009) TV episode .... Ben Cendars
    - Master of Puppets (2009) TV episode
    - Endangered Species (2009) TV episode .... Ben Cendars
    (21 more)
    4. Deadly Creatures (2009) (VG) (voice)
    5. An American Carol (2008) .... The Judge
    ... aka "Big Fat Important Movie" - International (English title), UK (DVD title)
    6. Palermo Shooting (2008) .... Frank
    7. Swing Vote (2008) .... Donald Greenleaf
    8. Elegy (2008/I) .... George O'Hearn
    9. Sleepwalking (2008) .... Mr. Reedy
    10. Hell Ride (2008) .... Eddie Zero
    11. Memory (2006/II) .... Max Lichtenstein
    12. "E-Ring" .... Col. Eli McNulty (23 episodes, 2005-2006)
    - Isolation (2006) TV episode .... Col. Eli McNulty
    - Brothers in Arms (2006) TV episode .... Col. Eli McNulty
    - Five Pillars (2006) TV episode .... Col. Eli McNulty
    - Hard Cell (2006) TV episode .... Col. Eli McNulty
    - Fallen Angels (2006) TV episode .... Col. Eli McNulty
    (18 more)
    13. 10th & Wolf (2006) .... Matty Matello
    14. Hoboken Hollow (2005) .... Sheriff Greer
    15. Land of the Dead (2005) .... Kaufman
    ... aka "George A. Romero's Land of the Dead" - USA (complete title)
    16. The Crow: Wicked Prayer (2005) .... El Niño
    17. Americano (2005) .... Riccardo
    18. House of 9 (2005) .... Father Duffy
    19. The Last Ride (2004) (TV) .... Ronnie Purnell
    20. Out of Season (2004) .... Harry Barlow
    ... aka "Final Shoot" - Japan (English title) (DVD title)
    21. The Keeper (2004) .... Krebs
    22. Bad Boy's 10th Anniversary... The Hits (2004) (V) (uncredited) .... Victor Castiglione (segment "Victory")
    23. "Las Vegas" .... Jon Castille (1 episode, 2004)
    - New Orleans (2004) TV episode .... Jon Castille
    24. Legacy (2004) .... CHP Officer
    25. The Night We Called It a Day (2003) .... Frank Sinatra
    ... aka "All the Way" - USA (DVD title)
    ... aka "All the Way: The Kidnapping of a Music Legend" - USA (DVD title)
    26. Suspense (2003) (TV) .... Narrator
    27. The Groovenians (2002) (TV) (voice) .... Dad/King Normans
    28. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2002) (VG) (voice) .... Steve Scott
    ... aka "Vice City" - USA (short title)
    29. The Piano Player (2002) .... Robert Nile
    ... aka "The Target" - Canada (English title), USA (video title)
    30. Leo (2002) .... Horace
    31. "24" .... Victor Drazen (5 episodes, 2002)
    - 11:00 p.m.-12:00 a.m. (2002) TV episode .... Victor Drazen
    - 10:00 p.m.-11:00 p.m. (2002) TV episode .... Victor Drazen
    - 9:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m. (2002) TV episode .... Victor Drazen
    - 8:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. (2002) TV episode .... Victor Drazen
    - 7:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. (2002) TV episode (uncredited) .... Victor Drazen
    32. Unspeakable (2002) .... Warden Earl Blakely
    33. Firestarter 2: Rekindled (2002) (TV) .... James Richardson
    ... aka "Firestarter: Rekindled" - USA (cable TV title)
    34. "Flatland" .... Smith (8 episodes, 2002)
    - Episode #1.21 (2002) TV episode .... Smith
    - A Gentle Rain (2002) TV episode .... Smith
    - Aurora (2002) TV episode .... Smith
    - Infection (2002) TV episode .... Smith
    - Shadow Warriors (2002) TV episode .... Smith
    (3 more)
    35. L.A.P.D.: To Protect and to Serve (2001) .... Captain Elsworth
    36. Knockaround Guys (2001) .... Benny Chains
    37. Choke (2001) .... Henry Clark
    38. Ticker (2001) .... Alex Swan
    ... aka "The Other Side of the Law" - Philippines (English title)
    39. Held for Ransom (2000) .... JD
    40. Jason and the Argonauts (2000) (TV) .... Pelias
    41. Luck of the Draw (2000) .... Giani Ponti
    42. The Spreading Ground (2000) .... Det. Ed DeLongpre
    43. Michael Angel (2000) .... Lewis Garou
    ... aka "The Apostate" - USA (cable TV title)

44. Bad City Blues (1999) .... Cleveland Carter
    45. The Venice Project (1999) .... Roland / Salvatore
    46. Jesus' Son (1999) .... Bill
    47. Straight Shooter (1999) .... Frank Hector
    48. Edtv (1999) .... Henry 'Hank' Pekurny
    ... aka "Ed TV" - USA (poster title)
    49. The Prophet's Game (1999) .... Vincent Swan
    50. Lured Innocence (1999) .... Rick Chambers
    51. Justice (1999/II) (TV) (uncredited)
    52. Meet the Deedles (1998) .... Frank Slater
    53. Top of the World (1998) .... Charles Atlas
    54. Tycus (1998) (V) .... Peter Crawford
    55. Black Dahlia (1998) (VG) .... Walter Pensky
    56. Road Ends (1997) .... Sheriff Ben Gilchrist
    57. The Blackout (1997) .... Mickey Wayne
    58. The Making of 'Super Mario Brothers' (1997) (TV) .... King Koopa
    59. The Good Life (1997) .... Mr. Golf
    60. Samson and Delilah (1996) (TV) .... Generale Tariq
    61. The Last Days of Frankie the Fly (1996) .... Frankie
    62. Basquiat (1996) .... Bruno Bischofberger
    63. Space Truckers (1996) .... John Canyon
    64. Carried Away (1996) .... Joseph Svenden
    65. Waterworld (1995) .... Deacon
    66. Search and Destroy (1995) .... Dr. Luther Waxling
    67. Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller (1995) (VG) (voice) .... Mr. Beautiful
    68. Dennis Hopper: L.A. Blues (1995) (TV) .... Host
    69. Witch Hunt (1994) (TV) .... H. Phillip Lovecraft
    70. Speed (1994/I) .... Howard Payne
    71. Chasers (1994) .... Doggie
    72. True Romance (1993) .... Clifford Worley
    ... aka "Breakaway" - Philippines (English title)
    73. Red Rock West (1993) .... Lyle from Dallas
    74. Super Mario Bros. (1993) .... King Koopa
    75. Boiling Point (1993/I) .... Rudolph 'Red' Diamond
    76. The Heart of Justice (1992) (TV) .... Austin Blair
    77. Sunset Heat (1992) .... Carl Madson
    78. Nails (1992) (TV) .... Harry 'Nails' Niles
    79. Rabbit Ears: Jonah and the Whale (1992) (V) (voice) (uncredited)
    80. Rabbit Ears: Rip Van Winkle (1992) (V) (voice) (uncredited) .... Storyteller
    81. Rabbit Ears: Annie Oakley (1992) (V) (voice) (uncredited) .... Storyteller
    82. Eye of the Storm (1991) .... Marvin Gladstone
    83. Doublecrossed (1991) (TV) .... Barry Seal
    84. The Indian Runner (1991) .... Caesar
    ... aka "Indian Runner" - Japan (English title)
    85. Paris Trout (1991) .... Paris Trout
    86. Rabbit Ears: The Fool and the Flying Ship (1991) (V) (voice) (uncredited) .... Storyteller
    87. Rabbit Ears: King Midas and the Golden Touch (1991) (V) (voice) (uncredited) .... Storyteller
    88. "Saturday Night Live" .... Host (1 episode, 1990)
    ... aka "NBC's Saturday Night" - USA (complete title)
    ... aka "SNL" - USA (informal title)
    ... aka "SNL 25" - USA (alternative title)
    ... aka "Saturday Night" - USA (first season title)
    ... aka "Saturday Night Live '80" - USA (sixth season title)
    ... aka "Saturday Night Live 15" - USA (fifteenth season title)
    ... aka "Saturday Night Live 20" - USA (twentieth season title)
    ... aka "Saturday Night Live 25" - USA (twentiefifth season title)
    - Dennis Hopper/Paul Simon (1990) TV episode .... Host
    89. Catchfire (1990) .... Milo
    ... aka "Backtrack" - USA (TV title (director's cut))
    90. Flashback (1990/I) .... Huey Walker
    91. Rabbit Ears: Paul Bunyan (1990) (V) (voice) (uncredited) .... Storyteller

92. Chattahoochee (1989) .... Walker Benson
    93. Blood Red (1989) .... William Bradford Berrigan
    94. Rabbit Ears: How the Leopard Got His Spots (1989) (V) (voice) (uncredited)
    95. Rabbit Ears: Thumbelina (1989) (V) (voice) (uncredited) .... Storyteller
    96. Rabbit Ears: The Fisherman and His Wife (1989) (V) (voice) (uncredited) .... Storyteller
    97. Black Leather Jacket (1988) (TV) (voice) .... Narrator
    98. Santabear's High Flying Adventure (1987) (TV) (voice)
    99. The Pick-up Artist (1987) .... Flash Jensen
    100. Straight to Hell (1987) .... I.G. Farben
    101. Rabbit Ears: The Tale of Peter Rabbit (1987) (V) (voice) (uncredited) .... Storyteller
    102. Black Widow (1987) .... Ben Dumers
    103. Running Out of Luck (1987) .... Video Director
    104. Rabbit Ears: The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher (1987) (V) (voice) (uncredited) .... Storyteller
    105. Hoosiers (1986) .... Shooter
    106. Blue Velvet (1986) .... Frank Booth
    107. River's Edge (1986) .... Feck
    108. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) .... Lieutenant 'Lefty' Enright
    ... aka "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2" - USA (video box title)
    109. Stark: Mirror Image (1986) (TV) .... Lieutenant Ron Bliss
    110. The American Way (1986) .... The Captain
    ... aka "Riders of the Storm" - USA (reissue title)
    111. My Science Project (1985) .... Bob Roberts
    112. Stark (1985) (TV) .... Lieutenant Ron Bliss
    113. Rabbit Ears: The Steadfast Tin Soldier (1985) (V) (voice) (uncredited) .... Storyteller
    114. O.C. and Stiggs (1985) .... Sponson
    115. A Hero of Our Time (1985) (uncredited)
    116. Rabbit Ears: The Ugly Duckling (1985) (V) (voice) (uncredited) .... Storyteller
    117. Slagskämpen (1984) .... Miller
    ... aka "The Inside Man" - USA (DVD title)
    118. Euer Weg führt durch die Hölle (1984) (uncredited)
    ... aka "Jungle Warriors" - USA, West Germany (video title)
    119. White Star (1983) .... Kenneth Barlow
    120. The Osterman Weekend (1983) .... Richard Tremayne
    ... aka "Mission CIA" - Philippines (English title)
    121. Rumble Fish (1983) .... Father
    122. "American Masters" .... Narrator (1 episode)
    - Robert Rauschenberg: Inventive Genius (????) TV episode (voice) .... Narrator
    123. Neil Young: Human Highway (1982) .... Cracker
    124. King of the Mountain (1981) .... Cal
    125. Reborn (1981) .... Rev. Tom Hartley
    126. Out of the Blue (1980) .... Don
    ... aka "No Looking Back" - USA (TV title)
    127. "Wild Times" (1980) TV mini-series .... Doc Holliday
    128. Las flores del vicio (1979) .... Chicken
    ... aka "Bloodbath" - USA
    129. Apocalypse Now (1979) .... Photojournalist
    ... aka "Apocalypse Now Redux" - International (English title) (longer version)
    130. L'ordre et la sécurité du monde (1978) .... Medford
    ... aka "Concorde Affair" - International (English title)
    ... aka "Last In, First Out" - USA
    131. Couleur chair (1978) .... Mel
    ... aka "Flesh Color" - International (English title)
    132. Les apprentis sorciers (1977) .... A spy
    ... aka "The Sorceror's Apprentice" - International (English title)
    133. Der amerikanische Freund (1977) .... Tom Ripley
    ... aka "The American Friend" - USA
    134. Tracks (1977) .... 1st Sgt. Jack Falen
    135. Mad Dog Morgan (1976) .... Daniel Morgan
    136. Kid Blue (1973) .... Bickford Waner
    137. Crush Proof (1972)
    138. The Other Side of the Wind (1972)
    139. The Last Movie (1971) .... Kansas
    140. True Grit (1969) .... Moon
    141. Easy Rider (1969) .... Billy
    142. Head (1968) (uncredited) .... Long haired guy at filmshoot in restaurant - extra
    143. Panic in the City (1968) .... Goff
    144. Hang 'Em High (1968) .... The Prophet
    145. The Glory Stompers (1968) .... Chino
    146. "The Big Valley" .... Jimmy Sweetwater / ... (2 episodes, 1967)
    - Night of the Executioner (1967) TV episode .... Jimmy Sweetwater
    - Plunder at Hawk's Grove (1967) TV episode .... Leon Grell
    147. "The Guns of Will Sonnett" .... Vern Reed (1 episode, 1967)
    - Find a Sonnett, Kill a Sonnett (1967) TV episode .... Vern Reed
    148. Cool Hand Luke (1967) .... Babalugats
    149. The Trip (1967/II) .... Max
    150. "Combat!" .... Zack Fielder (1 episode, 1967)
    - A Little Jazz (1967) TV episode .... Zack Fielder
    151. "The Time Tunnel" .... Passenger (1 episode, 1966)
    - Rendezvous with Yesterday (1966) TV episode (uncredited) .... Passenger
    152. Queen of Blood (1966) .... Paul Grant
    153. "The Legend of Jesse James" .... Jud Salt (1 episode, 1966)
    - South Wind (1966) TV episode .... Jud Salt
    154. "Convoy" .... Roger Small (1 episode, 1965)
    - The Many Colors of Courage (1965) TV episode .... Roger Small
    155. The Sons of Katie Elder (1965) .... Dave Hastings
    156. "Gunsmoke" .... Billy Kimbo (1 episode, 1965)
    ... aka "Marshal Dillon" - USA (rerun title)
    - One Killer on Ice (1965) TV episode .... Billy Kimbo
    157. "Bonanza" .... Dev Farnum (1 episode, 1964)
    ... aka "Ponderosa" - USA (rerun title)
    ... aka "Ride the Wind" - USA (recut version)
    - The Dark Past (1964) TV episode .... Dev Farnum
    158. "The Lieutenant" .... Peter Devlin (1 episode, 1964)
    - To Set It Right (1964) TV episode .... Peter Devlin
    159. "Arrest and Trial" .... Coley Mitchum (1 episode, 1964)
    - People in Glass Houses (1964) TV episode .... Coley Mitchum
    160. "Petticoat Junction" .... Alan Landman (1 episode, 1964)
    - Bobbie Jo and the Beatnik (1964) TV episode .... Alan Landman
    161. Tarzan and Jane Regained... Sort of (1964)
    162. The Thirteen Most Beautiful Boys (1964)
    163. "The Greatest Show on Earth" .... Rhymer (1 episode, 1963)
    - The Wrecker (1963) TV episode .... Rhymer
    164. "Espionage" .... Ferno (1 episode, 1963)
    - The Weakling (1963) TV episode .... Ferno
    165. "The Defenders" .... Alfred Carter Jr. / ... (2 episodes, 1962-1963)
    - The Weeping Baboon (1963) TV episode .... Jason Thomas
    - The Indelible Silence (1962) TV episode .... Alfred Carter Jr.
    166. "Wagon Train" .... Emmett Lawton (1 episode, 1963)
    - The Emmett Lawton Story (1963) TV episode .... Emmett Lawton
    167. "The Dakotas" .... Ross Kendrick (1 episode, 1963)
    - Requiem at Dancer's Hill (1963) TV episode .... Ross Kendrick
    168. "The Twilight Zone" .... Peter Vollmer (1 episode, 1963)
    ... aka "Twilight Zone" - USA (new title)
    - He's Alive (1963) TV episode .... Peter Vollmer
    169. "Surfside 6" .... Trask (1 episode, 1962)
    - Vendetta Arms (1962) TV episode .... Trask
    170. "General Electric Theater" .... Fred Judson (1 episode, 1962)
    ... aka "G.E. Theater" - USA (informal short title)
    ... aka "G.E. True Theater" - USA (new title)
    - The Hold-Out (1962) TV episode .... Fred Judson
    171. "The Investigators" .... Adrian Brewster (1 episode, 1961)
    - The Mind's Own Fire (1961) TV episode .... Adrian Brewster
    172. "87th Precinct" .... Andrew Mason (1 episode, 1961)
    - My Friend, My Enemy (1961) TV episode .... Andrew Mason
    173. Night Tide (1961) .... Johnny Drake
    174. "Naked City" .... Vinnie Winford (1 episode, 1961)
    - Shoes for Vinnie Winford (1961) TV episode .... Vinnie Winford
    175. "The Barbara Stanwyck Show" .... Gerald Collins (1 episode, 1960)
    - No One (1960) TV episode .... Gerald Collins
    176. Key Witness (1960) .... William 'Cowboy' Tomkins
    177. "The Millionaire" .... Adam Spencer (1 episode, 1960)
    - Millionaire Julie Sherman (1960) TV episode .... Adam Spencer
    178. "The Betty Hutton Show" .... Mike (1 episode, 1960)
    - Goldie Meets Mike (1960) TV episode .... Mike
    179. "The Lineup" .... Leighton (1 episode, 1959)
    - Wake Up to Terror (1959) TV episode .... Leighton
    180. The Young Land (1959) .... Hatfield Carnes
    181. "The Rifleman" .... Johnny Clover / ... (2 episodes, 1958-1959)
    - Three Legged Terror (1959) TV episode .... Johnny Clover
    - The Sharpshooter (1958) TV episode .... Vernon Tippert
    182. "Zane Grey Theater" .... Denny Sunrise / ... (2 episodes, 1958-1959)
    ... aka "Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater" - USA (complete title)
    ... aka "The Westerners" - USA (rerun title)
    - The Sunrise Gun (1959) TV episode .... Denny Sunrise
    - The Sharpshooter (1958) TV episode .... Vernon 'Vern' Tippert
    183. "Pursuit" (1 episode, 1958)
    - The Last Night in August (1958) TV episode
    184. Swiss Family Robinson (1958) (TV) .... Fritz
    185. "Studio One" .... David Williams / ... (2 episodes, 1958)
    ... aka "Studio One Summer Theatre" - USA (summer title)
    ... aka "Studio One in Hollywood" - USA (new title)
    ... aka "Summer Theatre" - USA (summer title)
    ... aka "Westinghouse Studio One" - USA (alternative title)
    ... aka "Westinghouse Summer Theatre" - USA (summer title)
    - The Last Summer (1958) TV episode .... Harry Wales
    - Trial by Slander (1958) TV episode .... David Williams
    186. From Hell to Texas (1958) .... Tom Boyd
    187. Sayonara (1957) (voice) (uncredited) .... MP in Kelly's house/MP at Tokyo airport
    188. The Story of Mankind (1957) .... Napoleon Bonaparte
    189. "Sugarfoot" .... Billy the Kid (1 episode, 1957)
    - Brannigan's Boots (1957) TV episode .... Billy the Kid
    190. Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957) .... Billy Clanton
    191. "Conflict" .... Ed Novak (2 episodes, 1957)
    - No Man's Road (1957) TV episode
    - A Question of Loyalty (1957) TV episode .... Ed Novak
    192. "Cheyenne" .... Abe Larson / ... (3 episodes, 1956-1957)
    - The Iron Trail (1957) TV episode .... Abe Larson
    - Quicksand (1956) TV episode .... Utah Kid
    - The Travelers (1956) TV episode (uncredited) .... Roden's Ranch Hand
    193. Giant (1956) .... Jordan Benedict III
    194. "The Kaiser Aluminum Hour" .... Pauly (1 episode, 1956)
    - Carnival (1956) TV episode .... Pauly
    195. "Screen Directors Playhouse" .... Steve Redman (1 episode, 1956)
    - High Air (1956) TV episode .... Steve Redman
    196. "Kings Row" .... Tod Monaghan (1 episode, 1956)
    - Carnival (1956) TV episode .... Tod Monaghan
    197. I Died a Thousand Times (1955) (uncredited) .... Joe
    198. Rebel Without a Cause (1955) .... Goon
    199. "Letter to Loretta" .... Ross Morton (1 episode, 1955)
    ... aka "The Loretta Young Show" - USA (new title)
    ... aka "The Loretta Young Theatre" - USA (rerun title)
    - Inga II (1955) TV episode .... Ross Morton
    200. "The Public Defender" .... Frankie (1 episode, 1955)
    - Mama's Boy (1955) TV episode .... Frankie
    201. "Medic" .... Robert (1 episode, 1955)
    - Boy in the Storm (1955) TV episode .... Robert
    202. "Cavalcade of America" (1 episode, 1954)
    ... aka "DuPont Presents the Cavalcade Theatre" - USA (fourth season title)
    ... aka "DuPont Theater" - USA (fifth season title)
    - A Medal for Miss Walker (1954) TV episode

Director
    1. Homeless (2000)
    2. Chasers (1994)
    3. The Hot Spot (1990)
    4. Catchfire (1990) (as Alan Smithee)
    ... aka "Backtrack" - USA (TV title (director's cut))
    5. Colors (1988)
    6. Out of the Blue (1980)
    7. The Last Movie (1971)
    8. Easy Rider (1969)

Writer
    1. Out of the Blue (1980) (uncredited)
    2. The Last Movie (1971) (story)
    3. The American Dreamer (1971) (writer)
    4. Easy Rider (1969) (written by)

Miscellaneous Crew
    1. The Cool School (2008) (archive and stills)
    2. Superstar: The Life and Times of Andy Warhol (1990) (advisory board)
    3. Reborn (1981) (production consultant)

Editor
    1. The Last Movie (1971)

Second Unit Director or Assistant Director
    1. The Trip (1967/II) (second unit director) (uncredited)

Thanks
    1. King of the Road (2010) (dedicatee)
    2. Faded (2010) (very special thanks)
    3. "Independent Lens" (special thanks) (1 episode, 2009)
    - No Subtitles Necessary: László and Vilmos (2009) TV episode (special thanks)
    4. The Cool School (2008) (special thanks)
    5. Le scaphandre et le papillon (2007) (special thanks)
    ... aka "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" - International (English title), UK, USA
    6. Return to 'Giant' (2003) (V) (special thanks)
    7. Reel Radicals: The Sixties Revolution in Film (2002) (TV) (special thanks)
    8. Before Night Falls (2000) (special thanks)
    ... aka "Antes que anochezca" - USA (Spanish title)
    9. Welcome to Hollywood (1998) (special thanks)
    10. A Perfect Murder (1998) (thanks: for genereous cooperation in allowing their workspace to appear in this film)
    ... aka "Dial M" - Japan (English title)
    11. Warner Bros. 75th Anniversary: No Guts, No Glory (1998) (TV) (special thanks)
    12. Nico Icon (1995) (acknowledgment: photos courtesy of)
    13. Superstar: The Life and Times of Andy Warhol (1990) (thanks: for generous cooperation in allowing their works of art to appear in this film)
    14. Warhol's Cinema 1963-1968: Mirror for the Sixties (1989) (TV) (thanks)

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• A great loss for almost all the world of arts: acting, directing, painting, photography. I'm sure glad he survived the 70's and early 80's, but I wished he would have made 100 years.
    To my life he was the most influential person ever. EASY RIDER and his very own character as well as his career and his way of life was even more groundbreaking, changing and CRAZY than the life of my other hero Sam Peckinpah. 115 years of cinema and my two favorite films were both filmed during the same two -three months! May / June / July 1968 - THE WILD BUNCH & EASY RIDER.
    I met Peter Fonda several times but I never met Dennis. 5 years ago I made a 10-page special on EASY RIDER for Cinema Retro magazine which in a way led to a big book project on ER we had to stop last year thanks to Dennis' lawyers (everybody else had been given their ok already). Last year I finally found back doors to him (I'm sure his 'suits' never really explained our project to him) when he was suddenly diagnosed and everything changed. I hope I can still pay him this ultimate tribute, a hardcover coffee table book on the film that changed Hollywood.

John Wayne had an impact on his life: Everybody knows, that Hopper was unwelcomed at the Hollywood studios after his battle with Hathaway during FROM HELL TO TEXAS. He was sort of blacklisted and changed to photograhy (and some minor low-budget parts). His marriage to Brooke Hayward (Hollywood royalty - famous impressario Leyland Haywards daughter) was common knowledge to Hollywood, so Wayne said to Hathway one day 'Don't you think the kid has suffered enough by now?' Hathway gave Dennis a part in KATIE ELDER (and three years later in TRUE GRIT) and Dennis was back on the track!

Here are a few scarce images from my archive, Dennis directing ER and Dennis & Sam during OSTERMAN WEEKEND. Interesting trivia: Dennis acted 1957 in Peckinpah's first important gig (THE RIFLEMAN pilot written & created by Sam: THE SHARPSHOOTER) as well in Sam's last feature THE OSTERMAN WEEKEND (1982). Back in 1957 they both used to smoke marihuana on the lot together, Dennis later stating 'Sam was the only cool dude around there...'
    Now that they both sobered up, they can talk about art forever, up there in movie heaven. Thanks for this inspired life!