There are 5 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,806 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Just out of curiousity I will ask this question.

Do newspapers in US ever issue free promo DVDs like they do in UK?

I know some European countries also issue DVDs like this but have never seen any linked to the US market?

Recently, Elvis movies have been issued, plus over the years Hitchcock films and a number of good war movies have also been offered.

Invariably, a lot end up on ebay for about 99 pence http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=…_sacat=See-All-Categories

I wonder will there ever be a John Wayne collection issued this way?

• Hi DP, ive never seen any freebies here, but I do have several from the UK that friends of mine sent me. Movies liek< The Way To The Stars and Ice Cold In Alex.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Ringo

I think there are now about 37 war movies issued by Daily Mail in addition to the World at War WW2 series & The Great War WWI documentary series. Some are classic war movies while others are well NOT.

List & link attached for your info.

1. A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH

2. THE HEROES OF TELEMARK

3. RETURN FROM THE RIVER KWAI

4. REACH FOR THE SKY

5. IN WHICH WE SERVE

6. ACES HIGH

7. ABOVE US THE WAVES

8. WENT THE DAY WELL

9. THE BATTLE OF THE RIVER PLATE

10. THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP

11. ESCAPE TO ATHENA

12. ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT

13. ILL MET BY MOONLIGHT

14. THE LONG AND THE SHORT AND THE TALL

15. I WAS MONTY'S DOUBLE

16. TUNES OF GLORY

17. CARVE HER NAME WITH PRIDE

18. MALTA STORY

19. WE DIVE AT DAWN

20. 49TH PARALLEL

21. THE LION HAS WING

22. APPOINTMENT IN LONDON

23. THE WAY AHEAD

The full titles in the series are
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/hom…s-collection-14-DVDs.html

Link to some of the other DVDs that have been issued.

http://www.ukcardcast.com/paul…ie%20DVDs/freebiedvds.htm

• Hi Duke/ thanks fro the list, i recognize or have seen almost all of them. I sure with they would release The Heroes of Telemark here.

Escape To Athena? they call that one a classic? pshawwww, the movie wasnt very good inspite of the cast and cameos in it. Also, anything with Sunny Bono in it as a Soldier hits rock bottom.

• Yes, watching Escape to Athena should be used as a punishment.

Some of their choices are mind numbing. On the plus side , I picked up The Day went well a early version of The Eagle has landed (which has also been offered).

Most of the DVDs are also great quality with the exception of Daily Express offerings Charade is a an prime example which looks like a straight video transfer.

The Daily Telegraph DVDs are worth looking out for as they appear to be the best quality and remastered. The Hitchcock prints are superb.

• Heh heh, I cant play any of the 5 or so i have as I dont have a region 2 DvD player. but I do know someone who does and owes ma a favor so ill get copies made that will play on my player ;-))