Duke's Movies- Blu-Ray/DVD Releases

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 285 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Rooster52.

• Re: Duke's Movies- Blu-Ray/DVD Releases

I went to comingsoon.net and after some searching saw the James Dean titles under March 11, 2014. I have no idea why they're listed for March 11 as they are already all released. Must be some kind of glitch.

Universal has announced the Region 1 (North America) Blu-ray releases of The War Wagon and Rooster Cogburn for April 1. No other info (artwork, extras) yet. (Both titles have already been released on Blu-ray in Europe.)

The Criterion Collection will release Red River on Blu-ray/DVD on May 27. Here is the link to Criterion's page about Red River: criterion.com/films/28046-red-river

No matter what genre he worked in, Howard Hawks played by his own rules, and never was this more evident than in his first western, the rowdy and whip-smart Red River. In it, John Wayne found one of his greatest roles as an embittered, tyrannical Texas rancher whose tensions with his independent-minded adopted son, played by Montgomery Clift in a breakout performance, reach epic proportions during a cattle drive to Missouri, which is based on a real-life late nineteenth-century expedition. Yet Hawks is less interested in historical accuracy than in tweaking the codes of masculinity that propel the myths of the American West. The unerringly macho Wayne and the neurotic, boyish Clift make for an improbably perfect pair, held aloft by a quick-witted, multilayered screenplay and Hawks’s formidable direction.

Disc Features

• New 4K digital restoration of the rarely presented original theatrical release version, the preferred cut of director Howard Hawks, with monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
      • 2K restoration of the longer version of Red River
      • New interview with filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich about Red River and the two versions
      • New interview with critic Molly Haskell about Hawks and Red River
      • New interview with western scholar Lee Clark Mitchell about western genre literature
      • Audio excerpts of a 1972 conversation between Hawks and Bogdanovich
      • Excerpts from a 1970 audio interview with novelist and screenwriter Borden Chase
      • More!
      • PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien and a 1991 interview with Hawks’s longtime editor Christian Nyby; a new paperback edition of Chase’s original novel, previously out of print

I just got back from the Turner Classic Movies Film Festival in Hollywood, where I saw Warner Bros.' new restoration of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. It was a brand new digital projection and it looks GORGEOUS. The Warner Archive Collection will be releasing SWAYR on Blu-ray soon but they haven't actually made the official announcement yet we don't know the exact release date. The announcement will be made soon.

Hondo Apache wrote:

A print-on-demand Blu-ray? Man, that sucks. Duke deserves so much more.

Er, I see you are not familiar with the Warner Archive Collection's Blu-rays. They are regular Blu-rays, manufactured like any other Blu-ray, and WAC restores every film and creates a new state of the art master before putting it onto Blu-ray. WAC's Blu-rays have received consistently rave reviews and they maintain the highest standards. George Feltenstein, a revered figure in the restoration and home video field, oversees all WAC Blu-rays.

As stated above, I have seen this new restoration of SWAYR at the Turner Classic Movies festival, it looks beautiful, and that is what you will get with the Blu-ray. John Wayne fans have every reason to be excited about this upcoming (though not yet officially announced) release.

WAC has announced the Blu-ray of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. No release date but it shouldn't be too far off.

SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON (1949)
      WARNER BROS.’ NEW 2016 MASTER - DIRECT FROM ITS WORLD PREMIERE AT THE TCM FILM FESTIVAL
      103:00
      DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
      ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.37:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
      COLOR
      BD 50
      Special Features: John Ford Home Movies and Theatrical trailer (1080p)
      A masterpiece of mood and heroics, this second film in director John Ford's renowned cavalry trilogy (Fort Apache and Rio Grande are the others) features one of John Wayne's most moving performances, as a cavalry officer in his final week of service on the frontier. Under makeup aging him some 20 years, he inhabits the role of a wily veteran who knows the sting of war and vows to make his last mission one of peace. The ritual of outpost life, the sweep of battle, the advance of the patrol beneath ominous skies: She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, an Academy Award winner for its color cinematography, paints a memorable portrait of the honor, duty and courage in the finest tradition of the cavalry.

• Chisum and McQ recently came out on Blu-ray and look good, especially Chisum, which was scanned from an interpositive at 2K, with extensive color-correction to bring the film as close as possible to its original appearance. Here are two Chisum screencaps.

]

The Blu-ray of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon is really gorgeous! I knew it would be because the new restoration I saw at the TCM festival in April was splendid. All the movie buffs I know are thrilled with this Blu-ray. Here are some screencaps from the SWAYR Blu-ray.

• Just posted by Kino Lorber Studio Classics:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!
      Legend of the Lost (1957) Starring John Wayne, Sophia Loren, Rossano Brazzi & Kurt Kasznar - Shot by Jack Cardiff (The Vikings) - Screenplay by Ben Hecht (The Indian Fighter), Robert Presnell, Jr. (Man in the Attic) - Directed by Henry Hathaway (23 Paces to Baker Street)

No artwork or disc details yet.