The Alamo (2004) Movie Set Burns

There are 7 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,914 times. The latest Post () was by WaynamoJim.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Most of the set of 2004's version of The Alamo has burned down from possible lightning strikes when storms rolled through the Dripping Springs area yesterday. About 7-8 buildings were completely destroyed in the San Antonio part of the set, including the San Fernando church. No word yet on whether the Alamo compound suffered any damage. Some photos have been published in the local newspapers of the fire itself and the aftermath on the set itself.

• Most of the set of 2004's version of The Alamo has burned down from possible lightning strikes when storms rolled through the Dripping Springs area yesterday. About 7-8 buildings were completely destroyed in the San Antonio part of the set, including the San Fernando church. No word yet on whether the Alamo compound suffered any damage. Some photos have been published in the local newspapers of the fire itself and the aftermath on the set itself.

Id hate to see the sets burn but, I wouldnt mind at all, if every copy of the film itself burned. I hated the revisionist film and cant stand billybobthornton.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Damn.
    I love that set.
    It's the best-built, the best-designed, and the best-maintained western street in these United States. It is also the only Spanish Colonial-era set standing where you can actually go in and shoot a period film. I've written two scripts based on the availability of that set because there is no other location like it. Without the set we have no place to shoot. This fire is quite a setback. I wonder how extensive the damage is.

Richard

[CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

• Maybe best designed, but my understanding is that it was not made to last, and was in VERY bad shape over all. Any productions using it would have hd to do quite a bit of revamping to make it usable. From the pics I've seen of it taken in the last few years, it didn't appear to have been maintained at all.

• The set was already in very bad disrepair. A couple of the buildings in the San Antonio part of the set had already collpased and some think that maybe the Reimer family who owns the property may have even torn down a couple of buildings. As for the fire, the entire Alamo compound is gone and only about 5-6 building in the town may be left. The San Fernando Church was destroyed. In the link above, you can access pictures of the damage. In one, there's a metal cross lying on the ground. That's from the top of the tower on the San Fernando church. In the movie, it was what the Mexican army tied the red no quarter flag to. Over on www.johnwayne-thealamo.com, there's a thread devoted to the fire. There's a few guys over there that were quite involved in the making of that movie and have been to the set many times over the last few years. They're mourning it like it was a family member that was lost. With the exception of where the Alamo church was positioned, the entire set was as close to looking like the real historical San Antonio and Alamo was. Alot of people didn't like the movie. I liked it but it could've been a whole lot more. It could've been as big an epic as the 1960 version. Ron Howard was going to direct it originally and was going to go all out for realism and a 3 hr flick and an R rating. But the big buttinskys at Disney got scared or something and slashed the budget big time and told Howard they wanted a tamer version, so Howard left and John L Hancock took over.
    I thought Hancock did a good job with what he was given and even he was forced to make cuts out of the movie that left a few open spaces in the story. Alot of us Alamo nuts are waiting for a directors cut of the movie to come out with restored scenes to make it more complete but, Disney won't give the ok. However, they did ok different cuts of Alexander to be brought out on video and that movie was a bigger flop than The Alamo.