2012 Olympic Games

There are 41 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 17,646 times. The latest Post () was by Hawkswill.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi

My future son in law (as of tomorrow) was a driver volunteer he said it was quite boring as he was driving VIPs around all day. At least he got to watch a part of the games as he had to take some people to Wimbledon and as he had to wait to bring them back he was allowed to watch the tennis.

When the torch came to Pompey on a Sunday night I was supposed to see it arrive in the Naval Base and I was supposed to dress up as Henry VIII. Because it was a Sunday night with hundreds of people around and the bus routes all closed my wife and I said forget it and we left work early to avoid the crush.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I live in Alabama just outside of Montgomery. I don't go to Atlanta if I can help it. No fun at all. I have to go through when I go to Greensboro for convention, which I missed this year. But it is the only way on the ground to get there from my house. No way will I go there if I can help it. I won't go there this weekend to see the Dodgers (I'm a fan). Just hate that town.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

DUH...don't know why I thought you lived in Atlanta. I think someone on the list does. Anyway, I know exactly how you feel. As I said, I left in 1969 when it got way to big for me. It has far outgrown those boundries now! When I visit old friends, I am lucky that they thought about the future growth and built their houses far outside the city. Of course, the are in it now, but on the outskirts around Jimmy Carter Boulevard. So, when coming down from NC, I just hit the north part and don't have to go through the town itlself. Back in the sixties, it was a nice town to live in. My father was with a large architectural firm and did the specifications for a great many of the monster buildings downtown. He even figured a way to build the Alexander Memorial Colliseum which was home of the GA Tech basketball team.......no center posts in the entire building....just a large dome...first one of its kind. No, don't blame you at all. At least you can take the bypass now. I don't because it adds too much time. I just plan my trip to hit Atlanta in the wee morning hours, (around 3 or 4 AM on a weekday. Traffic is at a minimum, and I still remember the main route through downtown from years ago. You know, when they built the very first freeway, my Dad's firm told them they should move the bridge supports much farther back so that more lanes could be added as needed. No one would listen. Thee lanes on each side, back then, was considered quite enough.............they ended up having to take out and replace a lot of the bridges, LOL!
    You mentioned a convention in Greensboro....assume that is NC. Are you in the furniture business....lots of that up here? I am about 45 minutes from Greensboro. Would be fun to meet for lunch if you make it up here this time. If you had any spare time, could probably arrange for you to see my friend's film collection. He is quite the "buff", has thousands of reel to reels, two theaters one in each house and posters and memorabilia he still hasn't found space to display. He built a film wing at Appalachian State college in Boone and occasionally teaches classes there. Here is an early bit about John's project: http://films.appstate.edu/pagesmith/25
    Have a good one, Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE