There are 997 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 238,306 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi

On this day 22nd September

55 years ago Red River was released in Finland

[/I]Thomas Dunson: Cherry was right. You're soft, you should have let 'em kill me, 'cause I'm gonna kill you. I'll catch up with ya. I don't know when, but I'll catch up. Every time you turn around, expect to see me, 'cause one time you'll turn around and I'll be there. I'm gonna kill ya, Matt

38 years ago El Dorado was released in West Germany

80 years ago the actress Virginia Capers was born she played the maid in Big Jake.

93 years ago the actress Martha Scott was born she starred with Wayne in War of the Wildcats.

105 years ago the actress Minerva Urecal was born she featured briefly in Without Rservations.

29 years ago the writer James Warner Bellah died aged 77.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Sep 22 2005, 09:13 AM
    55 years ago Red River was released in Finland
    [/I]Thomas Dunson: Cherry was right. You're soft, you should have let 'em kill me, 'cause I'm gonna kill you. I'll catch up with ya. I don't know when, but I'll catch up. Every time you turn around, expect to see me, 'cause one time you'll turn around and I'll be there. I'm gonna kill ya, Matt

[snapback]21573[/snapback]

Hi all,
    How nice to read the quots from the film in original language, when I have seen it only in russian on VHS, but I hope to see it with original sound very soon.
    I was always interested, is that story real and heros, or based on the real facts?
    Regards,
    Senta

• Hi

On this day 23rd September:

49 years ago The Searchers was released in the UK

Reverend Clayton: Well, the prodigal brother. Ain't seen you since the surrender. Come to think of it, I didn't see you at the surrender.
    Ethan Edwards: I don't believe in surrenders.

108 years ago the actor Walter Pidgeon was born he appeared in Dark Command.

24 years ago the actor Chief Dan George died aged 82 he was in Cancel My Reservation

30 years ago the actor Ian Hunter died age 75 he was in The Long Voyage Home.

35 years ago the French actor Bourvil died aged 53 he played the Mayor in The Longest Day.

13 years ago the author of the Shootist Glendon Swarthout died aged 74.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Senta

I'm not sure I think many of the westerns stories are based on fact and embelished. I think Red River was based on the Chisholm Trail but I may be wrong. But you can be sure that someone out there will know and give you the answer.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 24th September:

49 years ago The Conqueror was released in Sweden

[Surrounded by his enemies]
    Temujin: Come and take me, mongrels - if you dare. While I have fingers to grasp a sword, and eyes to see your cowardly faces, your treacherous heads will not be safe on your shoulders. For I am Temujin, the Conqueror. No prison can hold me, no army defeat me.

72 years ago The Telegraph Trail was released in Finland

51 years ago Back to Bataan was released in West Germany

79 years ago the screenplay writer Clair Huffaker was born responsible for among others the screenplays of The Comancheros and The War Wagon

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 25th September:-

46 years ago he film Rio Bravo was released in Finland:

John T. Chance: You're not as smart as your brother, Joe. He sees Stumpy sitting in here and realizes that if his men try to come in here to get you you're going to get accidentally shot.
    Stumpy: I can practical' guarantee that!

72 years ago Central Airport was released in the UK

72 years ago The Life of Jimmy Dolan was released in the UK. Starring Douglas Fairbanks jnr John Wayne played one of three young boxers about to fight a champion.

78 years ago The Drop Kick was released in the US.

62 years ago Lee Aaer was born. His career in films was relatively brief but he did pay a leading le in Hondo.

79 years ago Aldo Ray was born, he appeared in The Green Berets.

21 years ago the actor Walter Pidgeon died two days after his 87th birthday.

58 years ago the eminent cinematographer Joseph H August died suddenly aged 57. Co founder of the Cinematographers Society, he worked often with John Ford in films such as The Informer and Mary of Scotland, he also photographed They Were Expendable with Ford and John Wayne.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 26th September:

30 years ago Brannigan was released in Sweden:

Det. Sgt. Jennifer Thatcher: [quoting her father] The problem with you Yanks is: 'you're oversexed, overpaid and over here'.
    Brannigan: I walked into that one, didn't I?

78 years ago the actor Patrick O'Neal was born he played the bad guy in In Harm's Way.

98 years ago Shug Fisher was born , a member of the Sons of the Pioneers he was also in The Man Who Shot Liberty Vaance.

2 years ago George Plimpton died aged 76

57 years ago the noted cinematographer Gregg Toland died aged 44

26 years ago ther actor Arthur Hunnicut died aged 68.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 27th September:

60 years ago John Ford was awarded the Legion of merit.

71 years ago the actor Claude Jarman jnr was born, he showed us his abilities as trick rider in Rio Grande.

20 years ago the actor Lloyd Nolan died aged 83, he was with John Wayne in The Magnificent Showman and Island in the ky.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Sep 27 2005, 01:03 AM
    20 years ago the actor Lloyd Nolan died aged 83, he was with John Wayne in The Magnificent Showman and Island in the Sky.

[snapback]21684[/snapback]

"Magnificent Showman" was also known as "Circus World," not to cause any confusion. It wasn't one of the Duke's better efforts, but still worth a look.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi

On this day 28th September

49 years ago The Conqueror was released in Filand.

[/I]Bortai: For me, there is no peace while you live, Mongol.
    Temujin: You're beautiful in your wrath.

119 years ago the actor Gordon de Main was born he ppeared in the Desert trail

2 years ago Althea Gibson died aged 76. A great tennis champion she played Luky in The Horse Soldiers.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 29th September

74 years ago the actress Anita Ekberg was born. Coming to the public notice in La Dolce Vita, she was signed at great expense by Batjac and made a fleeting appearance in Blood Alley.

61 years ago the film Tall in the Saddle was released in the USA.
    81 years ago the actor Steve Forrest was born, the brother of Dana Andrews, he appeared in The Longest Day.

102 years ago the actor Ted de Corsa was born, generally playing villains, he was true to form in The Conqueror.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Sep 29 2005, 08:57 AM
    74 years ago the actress Anita Ekberg was born. Coming to the public notice in La Dolce Vita, she was signed at great expense by Batjac and made a fleeting appearance in Blood Alley.

[snapback]21732[/snapback]

Hi all,
    as I remember she played in two Frederico Fellinis films - La Dolce Vita and Interview. In the last one they played with Mastroani themselves, old now, but the famous episode in the fontaine from the early film was also shown.
    She also was fine at War and Peace.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Hi

On this day 30th September

Sitting typing this while outside the remains of hurricane Rita pour down, which in England means that it is raining quite heavy.

52 years ago Chata Wayne's final appeal against her divorce from John Wayne was dismissed

57 years ago the film Red River was released in the USA

Dunson plans to take Don Diego's land from him]
    Fernandez: Others have thought as you, señor. Others have tried.
    Thomas Dunson: And you've always been good enough to stop them?
    Fernandez: Amigo, it is my work.
    Thomas Dunson: Pretty unhealthy job.

79 years ago Bardelys the Magnificent was released in the USA

68 years ago the film Idol of the Crowds was released in the USA

47 years ago the film The Barbarian and the Geisha was released in the USA.

74 years ago the actress Angie Dickinson of Rio Bravo fame was born.

122 years ago the actor who played the sheriff in Stagecoach George Bancroft was born.

234 years ago stuntman and actor Robert 'Buzz' Henry was killed in a motor bike accident.

25 years ago John McGuire died aged 69 he was a captain in Sands of Iwo Jima.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 1st October:

35 years ago Chisum was released in Austria and West Germany

32 years ago Chisum was also released in Sweden

Jess Evans: Why get in a frazzle over Chisum? You turn me loose on him... there'll be a sudden funeral right here in Lincoln.
    Lawrence Murphy: Uh-huh. Yours.
    Jess Evans: How's that?
    Lawrence Murphy: Do you play chess?
    Jess Evans: Chess? What the hell has that got to do with Chisum?
    Lawrence Murphy: Everything. You just leave him alone. I'll take care of Mr. Chisum.
    Sheriff Brady: That ain't gonna be easy.
    Lawrence Murphy: You're right. But see, there's a fundamental difference between Mr. Chisum and me.
    Sheriff Brady: Yeah, what's that?
    Lawrence Murphy: Mr. Chisum is a man who respects the law.
    [Chuckles]
    Lawrence Murphy: Around here, I'm the man who owns it.

77 years ago the actors George Peppard and Laurence Harvey were born. Peppard played the pivotal role in How The West was Won, and Harvey played Travis in The Alamo.

99 years go te Producer of The Flying Leathernecks Edmund Grainger was born.

109 years ago in Burma the actor Abraham Sofaer was born, he appeared in a number of fine films including The Greatest Story Ever told and Chisum.

66 years ago te actor Conway Tearle died aged 61 he was in the serial Hurricane Express.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• HI

On this day 2nd October:

38 years ago The War Wagon was released in Sweden

Lomax: Mine hit the ground first.
    Taw Jackson: Mine was taller.

85 years ago the actor James Dobson was born, he appeared in Sands of Iwo Jima and The Undefeated.

49 years ago George Bancroft died two days after his 74th birthday.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day the 3rd October

94 years ago the actor Sir Michael Horden was born, he played the British Ambassador in Cast A Giant Shadow.

117 years ago the actor Wade Boteler was born he appeared in Pitsburgh.

122 years ago Earl Dwire was born he played many parts often as the bad guy in Dukes Lone Star pictures.

1 year ago Janet Leigh died aged 77.

28 years ago the director of Seven Sinners Tay Garnett died aged 83.

11 years ago the actor Dub Taylor passed away age 87 he played the cook in The Undefeated.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Oct 3 2005, 01:31 AM
    94 years ago the actor Sir Michael Horden was born, he played the British Ambassador in Cast A Giant Shadow.

[snapback]21783[/snapback]

Sir Michael was one of my favorite British actors, from his portrayal of Jacob Marley in "Scrooge" through so many character parts in movies over the years to a delightful comedic turn in "The Slipper and the Rose," I found his portrayals to often catch my eye.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi

He also supplied the voice to the BBC childrens cartoon series Paddington.

On This Day 4th October

81 years ago Charlton Heston was born, Happy Birthday Chuck.

119 years go the actor Luis Alberni was born he appeared in a couple of John Waynes early westerns.

61 years ago Harry Beresford dioed aged 80 he was in College Coach.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur,
    I liked Luis Alberni,
    He was in 170 odd films, including,
    playing that likeable Mexican rogue,
    in Duke's Warner Brothers,
    THE BIG STAMPEDE, and THE MAN FROM MONTERY.

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi

On this Day 5th October

44 years ago the actor Frank Eldridge died aged 64

49 years ago The Searchers was released in Finland and West Germany

27 years ago John Wayne ammended his will to make allowances for Pat Stacey.

52 years ago the cast of The Quiet Man gathered at Republic to honour director John Ford. John Wayne acted as the Master of Cermonies and Ford was presented with the Directors Guild Gold Award.

54 years ago Red River was released in Austria.

80 years ago the actress Gail Davis was born she appeared in The Flying Leathernecks.

86 years ago the British actor Donald Pleasance was born he was in The Greatest Story Ever Told

94 years ago the Hungarian cinematographer John Alton was born

108 years ago the cinematographer Willam V Skall was born he photographed Reap the Wild Wind.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low