Looking For A Movie

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,636 times. The latest Post () was by smokey.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I'm trying to find what movie it was where JW had on a blue military-type double row of buttons shirt, a tie around his neck, and a squashed hat with a bullet hole in it?

• The only movie that comes to mind at the moment is Rio Bravo. But he doesn't wear a blue shirt until the end I believe and I don't think his hat had a bullet hole in it. Still trying to think of other movies that had the squashed hat in it.

By the way welcome to the site. If there are other things you might be interested in we hope you stick around, that are many knowledagle people here about John Wayne. See you around.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Likewise, Rio Bravo, but I can't remember his hat being shot, but it was battered.
    The films, I think he wore those shirts in are:-
    STAGECOACH
    ANGEL AND THE BADMAN
    FORT APACHE
    RED RIVER
    SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON
    RIO GRANDE
    HONDO(but not blue!)
    THE SEARCHERS
    RIO BRAVO
    THE HORSE SOLDIERS
    NORTH TO ALASKA
    THE COMMANCHEROS
    THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE
    HOW THE WEST WAS WON(maybe under his coat!)
    McLINTOCK!
    SONS OF KATIE ELDER

And I can't remember his hat, being shot, in those either!!
    The one film, I do remember, when this happened, is when LEE VAN CLEEF shot CLINTS hat, lot of times, with his long hand-gun.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Thank you for your information. I was recently at the JW Cafe in Ridgeway, Col. and saw a picture that looks like mine and it was from Liberty Valance. I intend to rent and rewatch the movie and see if that's the one. I have a wonderful oil painting portrait of JW and am trying to determine when and where it was painted. Does anyone know where the portrait on the US stamp is taken from? It's very similar.
    Keep in touch.
    CS

• Well first of all the stamp is from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and as for the hole in the hat, I saw Tall in the Saddle this weekend, and a shot went through Duke's hat. I can't tell what color shirt he was wearing, but if I recall it was a light shirt. The movie was in black and white. I can't be sure about that, but that is what I recall without looking at the picture again.

Maybe I'll get it out and look to see what color or if it was dark or light.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• try watching the searchers as he has on a blue shirt and black pants when they do the fire scene where the saloon keeper comes out to kill them, this is after they have been told about the dress that debbie wore, and he sets up the lad who is with him as bait, cant remember his name but he does call him blanket head, when the shotting is all over he walks over and picks up his hat which has a hold in either the crown or half way down the hat where the saloon keeper shot at it when it was sitting on top of what looks like a sleeping body near the fire.

the shirt is like the old horse soliders shirt and he has a neckchive around his neck

hope this is the movie you are thinking about as i dont think this happens in the man who shot liberity valance from recall of my memory

also welcome to this wonderful place

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• thanks robbie i might not be a spring chicken but im not an old chook yet this old grey matter of mine does still hold some bizzare things when with my old age i can get it to function :lol: just joking with you, it took some thinking then i dont know what it was but something said try robbies most favourite movie and we all know which one that is now dont we :D the searchers. isnt it funny the things you can store away but they come in handy sometimes.

catch up with you again one day

cheers smokey

• hi robbie

thats ok we all know you could talk the hind leg off a donkey about this movie but i think many people just thought of movies in which the duke was wearing his hat, where as i thought of all of his movies where his hat was shot the part that threw mw was the shirt had to think really hard on that part couldn't remember if he was wearing the blue shirt or the checked on we see him in later, told you i store some really bizzare things . we can all get stumped by something just ask me what i had for breakie yesterday and i would draw a blank :D you can bet your bottom dollar that you will think of this if asked the same question either later on or in a quiz

see ya soon

cheers smokey