Does Anyone Here Besides Me Like The

There are 18 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,846 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Reason I ask is because I just picked up the DvD yesterday at Best Buy.

This movie stars these greats:

Henry Fonda (Lt.Col. Kiley), Robert Shaw (Oberst Martin Hessler), Robert Ryan (General Grey), Dana Andrews (Colonel Pritchard and Kiley's Commanding Officer), Karl-Otto Alberty (Major Dieple), Hans-Christian Blech ( Conrad the Old German Sergeant and Hessler's aide), Ty Hardin ( Leutnant Shoemacher German English-speaking Commando Officer), Telly Savalas (Sgt. Guffy), George Montgomery (Sgt. Duquesne), James MacArthur (Lieutenant Weaver Duquesne's Commander), Charles Bronson (Major Walenski), Werner Peters (Generalleutnant Kohler German Commanding General [ Taking the simulated role of the actual German Commander of the 47th Panzer Korps General Heinrich von Luttwitz]

A movie just cannot get much better than this IMO because their senior technical advisor was General Meinrad von Lauchert who at that time, commanded the German 2nd Panzer Division which was a part of the 47th Panzer Korps) and plus the vast majority of the detail was absolutely correct cept for the "German" ""Tiger"" tanks used.

Anyway, my point is that if you like this movie, you will NOT regret buying the DvD because they added many extra scenes in the movie that had previously been butchered out of it over the years when played on TV (most recently played on AMC and still somewhat butchered.)

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I loved BOTB when I was a little kid. I remember one of the kayoed American tanks was called "Kraut Killer" and I was haunted by it's destruction in the film. Didn't it's wrecked hulk get shoved over a bridge by a Tiger or Panzer? I liked the all-star cast, but I see the movie as the beginning of the end of the great Henry Fonda's "A Movie" career. :( A performer with as much talent as Henry Fonda deserved to have his career go down the tubes like it did.

I also happen to be a HUGE fan of Robert Shaw, Robert Ryan, and Dana Andrews. Unsung actors all.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

but I see the movie as the beginning of the end of the great Henry Fonda's "A Movie" career. A performer with as much talent as Henry Fonda deserved to have his career go down the tubes like it did

Well he may have been on the backside of his career but he was far from done. I especially liked him in Once Upon A Time In The West and who can forget about On Golden Pond? Overlook the fact that his daughter was in the film, and you have 2 of the greatest actors of all time working off one another perfectly.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi Cole, Viper, thank you for your thoughts.

Cole, your correct, "Kraut Killer" was shoved off the bridge by a German "Tiger" (which is really an American tank circa shortly after the Korean War and these "Tigers" were borrowed from the Spanich Army) The cannons on those "Tigers" are not 88s (which would by what real Tigers had) but were 105's I think? "Kraut Killer" was shoved off after losing their short-lived battle with the "Tigers."

K.K's radio operator: "What? are you sure? Watch out! the M.P's are Krauts!"

Anyway, that aside, this is a great movie and the all-star cast is unbeatable. BTW, I read somewhere on the IMDB site many months ago that the rold that Henry Fonda had was originally offered to John Wayne who turned it down because of committments elsewhere. I can't prove this but it was something I had read at IMDB awhile ago.

Cole, I remember the name to another of the "Sherman" tanks (which were Chaffee tanks I believe??) the name was "Ape Face" which I laughed at and still get a good laugh from it. I also thought the names of the American Tank Battalions were cool ones: Butcher Btn, Baker Btn and Phantom Btn.

I'm a huge fan of all the actors in that movie including some of the German actors like: Hans-Christian Blech (The grizzeled old German Sergeant and Karl-Otto Alberty (Major Dieple), both of whom you see protraying German soldiers in many war movies.

• Nice post Ringo Kid! I'm going to have to grab BOTB real soon. BTW, I can still remember my pal Brian and I being "inspired" by the movie when we were kids and recreating the battle with our toy soldiers right after watching the movie one Saturday afternoon. Yes, the two of us re-fought WWII many, many times back then...*sigh* Now that I think about it, I still have my "Navarone" playset! Maybe I should dig that out and play Gregory Peck again! All of those old time actors were heroes to us kids, even if we did grow up in the late seventies-early eighties. For the most part, the old stars were so much better than what we had going on, with maybe the exception of Harrison Ford...

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• Hi Cole, thank you for the kind words and you brought back a good memory for me in mentioning the toy soldiers ssts you had. I always wanted the Battleground set which I think was sold only at Sears but I never got it. However, my nextdoor neighbor had that set and we used to set it up on his dad's pool table. Needless to say, that was one cool set of toy soldiers. The Germans were in Grey platic and the Americans were in OD Green plastic. If I recall, I think this set came with a mountain.

A few years ago, I saw a few of the soldiers from that set for sale in an antique store, the price was $5.00 each! Needless to say, I did not buiy therm but got lucky the next dat at a garage sale. I was just driving down a street passing time and noticed a small garage sale going on but about to close. I stopped just on a whim and just before leaving, I saw a small pile of toy soldiers sitting in a bowl on the table for sale at 5 cents each. I bought them all (only had about 10) and I noticed a few of the German soldiers were molded in white plastic which I had not seen before. I still have these put away somewhere. Guess i'll have to look for them and dig them out and display them on a shelf or something.

• Great find on the toy soldiers, Kid! Sometimes it's best to wait, though it may be oh so difficult to do so, what with the prize right in front of you. The ones I have still are made by a company called "deetail." I have some Germans from that maker.

I had a set called Battleground, and it had a pontoon bridge, rolls of barbed wire, German (though they were white, not gray), half tracks, tanks, American soldiers and lots of other accessories. I got it for my 9th birthday in 1980. I believe I got it at Lionel Playworld. I got the Navarone playset Christmas '81. I still have that, along with it's box. Soldiers are still around, too...don't get me started on my war comics! :blink:

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

Another good Buldge movie is "Battleground"

You are correct there Harold. I love that movie.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi Cole, Harold, Viper.

Cole, I think I have one German Soldier from the later set you have (the white ones) this one is a "dead" soldier which has an MG 34 and MG belt links around his torso and shoulders.

I'd love to find a complete set of these sets but they probably go for a few hundred $$$$.

Harold, yep, Battleground is an excellent movie. It was released in 1949 and stars Van Johnson as Holly, James Whitmore Sr. as Sgt Kennie, Richard Jaeckel as Pvt Bettis, George Murphy as "Pop" Stazack, Ricardo Montalban as Pvt. Roderigues and Don Taylor.

Viper, great minds think and love alike. ;-)) That is an excellent movie.

• I love this movie ALOT, and actually just recently watched it again.Great cast, great re-telling of the events.One of the shermans that i remember vividly is " BLONDIE ".I believe it was destroyed.

-IHW

Originally posted by Cole Thornton@Jul 5 2005, 07:44 PM
    I loved BOTB when I was a little kid. I remember one of the kayoed American tanks was called "Kraut Killer" and I was haunted by it's destruction in the film. Didn't it's wrecked hulk get shoved over a bridge by a Tiger or Panzer?

[snapback]18614[/snapback]

I happened to pop on the History Channel the other night and lo and behold, I ran into the very scene mentioned in my other post! I need to get this on DVD! That and Force 10 From Navarone, which is far from being a masterpiece, but it was another of those influential war movies on my buddies and I way back when.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• Hi IHW, Blondie was destroyed in the German's opening attack. This was before Sgt. Guffy's tank "Bargain Basement" was rammed by a German "Tiger" and pushed down a small embankment.

Originally posted by Cole Thornton@Jul 11 2005, 04:07 PM
    Force 10 From Navarone[/i], which is far from being a masterpiece, but it was another of those influential war movies on my buddies and I way back when.

[snapback]18885[/snapback]

I think Force 10 gets short thrift because its gets a lot of comparison to the original, which was a great movie. Taken on its own terms, it is an entertaining film, partly because of its many shifts of plot. This was Robert Shaw's last film and Harrison Ford was fresh off the first "Indiana Jones" flick, if I'm not mistaken.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker@Jul 11 2005, 04:58 PM
    I think Force 10 gets short thrift because its gets a lot of comparison to the original, which was a great movie. Taken on its own terms, it is an entertaining film, partly because of its many shifts of plot. This was Robert Shaw's last film and Harrison Ford was fresh off the first "Indiana Jones" flick, if I'm not mistaken.

[snapback]18889[/snapback]

Ford was hot off of Star Wars, but your point is taken. Too bad about about Robert Shaw, he should have been nominated for an Oscar for Jaws. He was always good. Who can forget his role as "Red" Grant in From Russia With Love? But as I mentioned earlier, "Force 10" is always a lot of fun to watch and I like that music score, too!

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• Yeah, I like Force 10... too and like it more because Richard Kiel, who is more known as "Jaws" in some of the Roger Moore James Bond movies, plays the very tall Chetnik in that movie. Also, I like the earlier appearance of Carl Weathers too.

• Does anyone remember seeing Kiel in Happy Gilmour as happy's boss "Mr. Larson"?, also Carl Weathers in the late 80's vietnam tv show Tour Of Duty <- a favorite of mine.

-IHW

• Don't forget, Carl Weathers did a stint on "The Heat of the Night" TV series toward the end of its run. Richard Kiel had a part in the somewhat forgotten "Silver Streak."

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I had no idea that Richard Kiel was in Happy Gilmore? All the more reason to see it. Carl Weathers was good in Tour of Duty. I also liked the fact that Lee Majors was in that show as well.

I also remember seeing Richard Kiel in a funny movie called: Strange Brew. I most remember him in the original: The Longest Yard as the football player who got his nose broken in training. I always did like him and wish he acted in more movies.