John Ford Taking Great Liberties With The

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,822 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Of course I am speaking about his late 1940's Western great: My Darling Clementine w/ Henry Fonda as Wyatt Earp, Ward Bond as Morgan Earp, Tim Holt as Virgil Earp and a young Marshall Thompson as James Earp. Also not forgetting Victor Mature as John "Doc" Holiday and Walter Brennan as Ike Clanton.

First thing, Ike Clanton did not kill a James Earp.

Virgil Earp was also not shot in the back by Ike Clanton at his ranch as he was leaving the room where a Clanton was lying dead on a bed. Virgil also was at the OK Corral.

Ike Clanton did not kill or even hit "Doc" Holiday at the OK Corral. "Doc" Holliday did not die in the famous gunfight. "Doc" Holiday died sometime later from Tuberculosis.

All that aside, it was a great movie to see which included several extra minutes of footage re-edited back in that had originally been edited out by Darryl F. Zanuck.

Henry Fonda, Ward Bond, Victor Mature and Walter Brennan were great as usual.

What are your thoughts on this classic?

"Ol my darling..........................................Ol my darling..................................Ol my darling Clementine.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• In his book, John Ford, Peter Bogdanovich quotes Ford as saying,

I knew Wyatt Earp. In the very early silent days, a couple of times a year, he would come up to visit pals, cowboys he knew in Tombstone;
    a lot of them were in my company. I think I was an assistant prop boy then and I used to give him a chair and a cup of coffee, and he told me about the fight at the O.K. Corrall. So in My Darling Clementine, we did it exactly the way it had been. they didn't just walk up the street and start banging away at each other; it was a clever military manoeuvre.

Of course, Ford was known to lie about things so its possible he didn't know Earp. However it really happened, I think he made a great movie.

• One of the truly great westerns, but totally lacking in historical accuracy. But that does not take away any of the enjoyment I get from watching this classic. and just for the record my favorite "Wyatt Earp" movies are "Hour Of The Gun" with James Garner and "Tombstone" with Kurt Russell

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Hi,

I agree with the lack of historical accuracy in my Darling Clementine regarding the characters.

However Wyatt Earp was about in the 1920s refereeing World Boxing fights and it is quite possible that he and Ford would have met and as both were inclined to stretch a tall tale as far as it would go, it is quite concievable that they would become great friends. Certainly in the video he American West of John Ford, Ford describes the fight as being exactlyas Earp had described it to him. I also believe that Ford ended up with Wyatt Earps winchester, whether presented personally to him or not I don't know.

in a previous thread I commented that for Ford to concentrate so much on making a good picture why did he have to make it so innacurate historically.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

Further to the last thread this extract is from Searching For John Ford by Joseph McBride. In it he has this to say about Ford's relationship with Wyatt Earp

In talkng with Peter Bogdanovitch when he gave his account of the story. It must be remembered that when he met Earp Ford was a lowly prop man and not the director he would later become.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur, Phanton, May, thanks for this.

Also, it was interesting to learn how John Ford got his start in the business -- like John Wayne did.

• Hi,
    I realise that historical accuracy, in Hollywood,
    seems to go out the window!
    The telling of the Wyatt Earp, and the gunfight,
    regardless of accuracy,have made for some great films.
    I like to watch them all together,
    starting with:-
    MY DARLING CLEMENTINE
    HOUR OF THE GUN
    GUNFIGHT AT OK CORRAL
    WYATT EARP
    TOMBSTONE

It's great to compare them that way,
    but I still think TOMBSTONE comes out on top,
    followed by GUNFIGHT.

Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I never liked My Darling .........until I got a copy of this off ebay for $1

Frontier Marshal (1939)
    Directed by
    Allan Dwan

Writing credits
    Sam Hellman
    Stuart N. Lake (novel)

Add to MyMovies IMDbPro Professional Details

Genre: Western (more)

Plot Summary: Earp agrees to become marshal and establish order in Tombstone in this very romanticized version of the gunfight at the O.K... (more)

User Comments: My Darling Clementine Was a Remake of This Movie (more)

User Rating: 6.7/10 (27 votes)

Complete credited cast:
    Randolph Scott .... Wyatt Earp
    Nancy Kelly .... Sarah Allen
    Cesar Romero .... Doc Halliday
    Binnie Barnes .... Jerry
    John Carradine .... Ben Carter
    Edward Norris .... Dan Blackmore
    Eddie Foy Jr. .... Eddie Foy
    Ward Bond .... Town Marshal
    Lon Chaney Jr. .... Pringle

SASS 39065 Life
    BOLD 114

• Now that is strange, Cesar Romero as "Doc" Holiday. That will be something i'll look forward to seeing sometime :D I think Cesar Romero was a great actor and his portrayal of Doc would be refreshing to see.

I've seen those other movies and like them all but Gunfight At the OK Corral I think is the best of those. If i'm not mistaken, didn't Patrick Wayne have a cameo appearance in one of those mentioned? Possibly in Tombstone?