What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,466,404 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Thanks Alamo, I will look her up and see if she is the one who came with Gene and Don all the time. After 40 years, believe it or not, I still remember what she looked like. Usually, I don't remember the ladies.

I have no source, but read somewhere Gene was married, but had a long time affair with Gail Davis (star of the Autry produced Annie Oakly TV series in the 50s).

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Rawhide, Incident on The edge of Madness-sorry folks, I enjoyed it and thought Chaney gave a fine performance. Gunsmoke, The Town Tamers-Jim Davis and James Arness settle a lawless town. Davis was fine, and should have been given more to do at the climax. Monte Walsh-Lee Marvin, a fine film, but I enjoyed the TV remake with Selleck more.

• Welcome Gareth,
    Sometimes I have to remind myself that you are a YOUNG man, LOL. There are times that you really come up with some "gems" in your interpretations and explanations. Have never seen Castaway Cowboy. Looks like it is YOU telling ME new things to watch now. That is good. Sure wish we could get more young 'uns interested. It is VERY hard for me to believe, but....because of my book, I have been asking young people about John Wayne and other actors who are like "old friends" to us. Gareth........they have NEVER HEARD OF THEM! Very scary to think they all may be pretty much just lost to our society. Hope something happens to change it. I do my best to introduce young folks to the older movies. You know, some of them will NOT watch a movie if it is black and white! Well, must think of something a bit more cheery to continue the day with, LOL! KEITH

Thanks Keith, caught James Garner in The Castaway Cowboy last night, a disney film but I enjoy Garner in whatever he's in. He didn't have huge range but nobody played that sarcastic mercenary character with a heart deep down like he did. Like the Duke he did a great job of creating a personality on screen that people identified him with.

• Gail may be her, Alamo............have found LOTS of pics when she was young, but I need to find some when she was older. I really think it is probably her. And I DID find where Gene had a stroke.....but it was in 1965.......I knew him in the early '70s. If it was a massive stroke.........he might still have had damage............by then it would have been permanent probably. Need to find some later film of him walking, talking etc. Thanks again! KEITH

Thanks Alamo, I will look her up and see if she is the one who came with Gene and Don all the time. After 40 years, believe it or not, I still remember what she looked like. Usually, I don't remember the ladies.

• Haha you are very right Keith that alot of young people just aren't that interested in older movies which is a shame, as you maybe I have seen I like films with a message or a point even if it's just good v bad etc and the reason I think I gravitate to the older movies is the focus on stories and characters over the glitz of newer ones. I find the old JW etc movies alot more human if that makes sense. I badger my friends to watch older films and I do have a few real life friends who are JW fans so that is nice, I was in the living room just now and Ward Bond was strutting across the screen as my father was watching Only the Valiant! I think although it may seem that the JW etc fans out there are dwindling there are probably more out there than you think. John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Peck, Cooper are the actors with the most films shown on tv around here and they couldn't be on so often if nobody was watching them! Since I became a Duke fan there has been a JW film on tv every day since, there is a never a day on UK tv that a John Wayne film doesn't feature and that's a great sign of his continuing popularity. If you ever need a young guy to talk about the duke for your book i'm right here :D

• Billy The Kid vs. Dracula - John Carradine! Bing Rusell! Virginia Christine! Harry Carey jr.! Roy Barcroft! Richard Reeves! Marjorie Bennett!
    Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter - John Lupton! Jim Davis! Nestor Paiva! Ray Barnes! William Fawcett! Page Slattery .

Great casts of supporting actors in cheesey wester/horror movies-loved 'em!

• "Cowboys And Aliens" (2011)
    -Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford

plot :
    A 19th century gunslinger unites townspeople, outlaws, and a band of Apache warriors against an extraterrestrial threat.

Phantoms Review: I love this movie. Yes, it's goofy as hell, but it's supposed to be. A fun action packed sci-fi western.
    Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig make very charismatic western heroes.
    It's definitely not for everyone, but I like it. :)

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town