What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,467,141 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Yep! You got that right!

I might need to change my review because it sounds like I didn't like it much (I would never make a very good critic). I really did enjoy the movie. I thought they got the sci-fi/horror part of the story right. My problem was with the cowboys! I just don't think modern Hollywood writers understand what makes a good Western character. They're not bad characters, they're just modern dark comic book characters that lacked that cowboy sense of humor and "let's go kick their butt" type attitude that would have worked better (IMHO) in this type of story. But besides that, as far as "Weird Western" movies go, this is probably the best one in a few years.

<some spoiler alerts here>

I just watched this movie and agree with you. It was full of character stereotypes ( stranger in town, cowardly shopkeeper, big man in town, big man in town's dull-witted son, comely female, stoic native american, timeworn sheriff, bad guy aliens, coming of age boy , etc. )
    but they all seemed rather muted. Harrison Ford was probably the most believable character. Daniel Craig was too wooden throughout- I never felt the anger that I thought would come...I guess its hard to punch an alien in the jaw or kick one in the groin when you've got a ray gun.

And I couldn't figure out why aliens were smart enough to get to Earth and have all that magical stuff to vacuum gold out of the earth but weren't smart enough to figure out what our weaknesses were after only checking out a couple humans, they needed a whole fleet of townspeople to study ?

As an aside I feel sorry for the guys that have to design scary aliens these days. I mean, I probably wasn't the only one in the theater thinking:
    " I've seen these aliens before, they look similar to the ones in the movie 'Alien' only the claw count is different. I guess all the lobster/dust mite/ tazmanian devil type aliens come from the same galaxy.

I liked the movie but had to suspend disbelief more than I would have liked for a western. Your movie enjoyment may vary...

• "Tombstone", with friends who had never seen it and loved it. I've got the extended edition with a slightly longer version but it still needs additional restoration.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Unusually lazy weekend for me....Just watched "Open Range" after watching two more "Adventures of Briscoe County, Jr." episodes". Friday I watched my favorite Spaghetti Western, "Once Upon a Time in the West", and Saturday watched "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"

(When it's 110 degrees outside, even those of us that prefer the outdoors like to find something to do indoors. Thank goodness for classic Westerns!)

• Watched 'Gunfight at the OK Corral' last night. Not seen it the whole way through before. Was impressed, film seemed well paced and I enjoyed the main characters played by Burt Lancaster & Kirk Douglas

The fact that the theme song has been going round and round in my head today may indicate the film made a good impression :)