Something I Thought Was Neat When I Last

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,212 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Forgive me if I posted this before or if someone else had but, yesterday I watched Where Eagle's Dare again and in the opening credits, I saw that Yakima Canutt was the 2nd unit director.

Anyway, for someone normally only known (at least by me) of being only associated with Western movies, I thought that it was cool for him to have been a part of Where Eagle's Dare. I wonder what other non-westerns he had something to do with?

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Exellent movie, TRK I thorughly enjoed it. I bought it perhaps two years ago now and have watched it multiple times, both burton and eastwood give strong performances.

-And, I had notived Yak in the credits before B) .

-IHW

• Yeah Ringo, we talked about it before. I cannot remember the post though. That is a very good movie. But I like just about anything with Clint in it :):jump:

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• HI Karl

As has been said Yak was responsible for the chariot race in Ben Hur. He desgned the stadium, selected the horses and trained Charlton Heston to drive the chariot.
    In his book Heston explains that Canutt stood on the chariot behind him as he drove round the circuit. After a while with the horses going reasonably fast Heston shouted back to Canutt that he was getting the hang of driving the team. There was no answer from Yak and as Heston turned around a bend he saw Canutt standing watching him having stepped off the chariot a couple of laps back.

For the chariot race Yak's son Joe doubled for Heston and in the scene where the chariot leaps over another chariot it is Joe that is thrown up in the air and out of the chariot.

Yak who was a stickler for health and safety had told his son to wear a restraining belt for safety but at the last minute Joe had removed it. Later an article said imaging how you would feel watching as a gag you had desgned had ended with your son getting his face ripped off. But miraculaously Joe escaped with minor cuts and bruises.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi IHW, Keith, Todd & Arthur.

Hi IHW, this movie is one of my all-time favorites. Whenever it's played on TV, I wind up watching it even though I have the DvD sitting mere feet away from the player. :D

Hi Keith and thanks for that link. I had not known how diverse Canutt was in doing other than Westerns. To say the very least, I was VERY impressed with his list of credits (not that I was lacking always being impressed with his work to begin with.)

And thanks for that other link as well. It was nice to "visit" the "Schloss Adler" again.

Hi Todd, I like most anything with Clint as well. In fact, I can only remember being displeased with only two of his movies: "The Beguiled and Blood Work" to be exact.

Hi Arthur, thanks for all the info about Yak being in so many Heston films. I am a big fan of Charlton Heston, almost as much as I am of John Wayne. I think those two should have made a few Westerns together.

Cheers and best regards--C.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..