Other Hobbies

There are 58 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 20,095 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Yomper

Good Luck with the Victory kit I work part time at the Mary Rose Museum which is about 300 yards from the Victory, it has approximately 27 miles of Rigging, hundreds of blocks of various sizes and is currently undergoing a 20 million pound refit. The yards and the 3 top gallant masts top masts Bowsprit are all coming out in the next few weeks leaving just the lower masts in place the first time that has happened since the 1960s.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Thank you Arthur for your great reply, very informative :thumbs_up:

I find the rigging is always the most difficult part of the model ... very fiddly !

Spent the morning so far painting the deck and lower decks, lots of parts with this kit, I am predicting around 4 to 5 months to complete it ( fingers crossed )

Once again, Arthur thanks for your post, sounds like you have an interesting job too

Windage & Elevation !

• Hi

Before I retired I was Master Rigger of Portsmouth Naval Base and although I didn't work on the victory personally i was responsible for the refitting of the masts were were done on a rotational basis once every eight years.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hello Arthur

I have took some photos of the ship, I thought that you and other members here may like to see how its going so far !

I have just made a start on the ships rigging but when its fully completed I will post up more pictures

---------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------

Thanks for looking

Regards

Yomper

-----------

Windage & Elevation !

Edited once, last by yomper ().

• My hobbies tend toward collecting stuff. My favorite collection ( besides my Duke stuff) is my world money collection. I don't and never have bought any of it. They have been given to me over many years by people who have traveled or brought back from wartime. I find them very artistic. Here's a sample of it.

Hi Duke fan, dont know if you know it already or not? but that German Mark is actually WWII German Army script. I have 3 ones and a fiver somewhere in the collection. Nice collection though.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Nice jobs on the models. One of the toughest I ever built was a large size-I forget how big? about 3 feet i think? replica of the Schlachschiffe: Tirpitz. The worst thing about it was adding the hundreds (seemingly) machine guns all over it as well as other guns. It took me several hours almost daily-and an entire summer, to build that think. sadly, it met its "fate" in the backyard with a BB gun.

• Thanks Ringo, my next project is the Titanic, then I looking at an aircraft carrier .... maybe !

Windage & Elevation !

• Great job so far, Yomper. Looking great! Keep us updated.

Hi Duke fan, dont know if you know it already or not? but that German Mark is actually WWII German Army script.

I am aware of that. I also have some Japanese occupational currency and British military currency. I love the designs and artwork on old foriegn money.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Ha ha ... nice one Arthur, I will put more lifeboats on it just in case !

Windage & Elevation !

• Thanks Ringo, my next project is the Titanic, then I looking at an aircraft carrier .... maybe !

Quite welcome. Ive been toying for awhile with the idea of getting back into building models and dioramas. Hmmmm ;-)) With all this talk going on, I might be talked back into doing so ;-))

I wonder if Dibbles in San Antonio is still around?

• If there was more free space in my house I would love to build a 'battle scene' such as the Alamo or Waterloo

Windage & Elevation !

• If there was more free space in my house I would love to build a 'battle scene' such as the Alamo or Waterloo

I used to do battle scenes. I did mine all scratch built cept for the soldiers. I made an Roarkes Drift scene, one in Vietnam, and a few WWII West Front scenes. Speaking of The Alamo-about 25 or so years ago, they had some sort of request from those who painted 1/ 72nd scale soldiers requesting help on donating figures for the large scale 1 72nd scale battle scene of the Alamo-which ius under glass at the Alamo in San Antonio. I donated some 100 figures to it. The kits I used were actually Napolianic figures made by MPC--which were French soldiers that I doubled for the Mexican Army--same exact style of uniforms. For soem of the Texans used--I used some Confederate soldiers made by an Italian company--I forget their name at this time (Esci? I THINK?) but--they made perfect Texans.

Edited 2 times, last by The Ringo Kid ().