The Sons of Katie Elder (1965)

There are 185 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 158,190 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hey Michael, it was a spaghetti western before spaghetti westerns were cool! :)

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• Dean Martin was not believable as one of the brothers as he was clearly Italian.

I don’t get this statement. How was Dean Martin “clearly Italian “? His accent sounds pretty American to me. I never saw a single strand of spaghetti in his teeth in any movie he ever played in. If by your statement you meant that he seemed to portray a certain warmth and zest for life yeah I’ll give you that.

I grew up with people who were clearly Italian, my grandfather’s people being from Abruzzi. I’ve known “clearly Italian” people who are 5 ft. tall, olive skinned with dark eyes and I’ve known “clearly Italian” people who are 6 ft. 8, blonde haired and blue eyed so frankly there is only one basis I can think of for your statement.

Would you say that Kirk Douglas is clearly Russian Jewish or that Mike Connors is clearly Armenian?

By the way Dean was born in Steubenville, Ohio. The city’s pretty proud of that fact as there is a sign boasting of it as you enter town. And for what it’s worth his son Dean Paul gave the full measure of service to his country as a fighter pilot; dying in a F4 that went down in a snow storm over the San Bernardino Mountains.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• I don’t get this statement. How was Dean Martin “clearly Italian “? His accent sounds pretty American to me. I never saw a single strand of spaghetti in his teeth in any movie he ever played in. If by your statement you meant that he seemed to portray a certain warmth and zest for life yeah I’ll give you that.
    I grew up with people who were clearly Italian, my grandfather’s people being from Abruzzi. I’ve known “clearly Italian” people who are 5 ft. tall, olive skinned with dark eyes and I’ve known “clearly Italian” people who are 6 ft. 8, blonde haired and blue eyed so frankly there is only one basis I can think of for your statement.

Would you say that Kirk Douglas is clearly Russian Jewish or that Mike Connors is clearly Armenian?

By the way Dean was born in Steubenville, Ohio. The city’s pretty proud of that fact as there is a sign boasting of it as you enter town. And for what it’s worth his son Dean Paul gave the full measure of service to his country as a fighter pilot; dying in a F4 that went down in a snow storm over the San Bernardino Mountains.

Dean Martin looked Italian. He had dark hair and looked nothing like the other three brothers.

I didn't mind Martin apart from his support for terrorism.

• The two people I watched the film with last night both laughed out loud when Bud said he was nearly 18. They felt it was unrealistic that his brother was 40 years older than him.

I think they should have cut that line, and not shown the father's age on the headstone.

• I don’t get this statement. How was Dean Martin “clearly Italian “? His accent sounds pretty American to me. I never saw a single strand of spaghetti in his teeth in any movie he ever played in. If by your statement you meant that he seemed to portray a certain warmth and zest for life yeah I’ll give you that.

I've never heard of Mike Connors.

Kirk Douglas admitted he was only popular in the 1940s and 1950s because he did not look Jewish.

• Thanks for making my point for me.

BTW if you aren’t aware of people having siblings much older than them I guess you haven’t grown up around many large families. There are two friends of mine who have nieces and nephews older than they are so to me an 18 year old with a 40 year old brother is nothing out of the ordinary.

Tbone

• Thanks for making my point for me.

BTW if you aren’t aware of people having siblings much older than them I guess you haven’t grown up around many large families. There are two friends of mine who have nieces and nephews older than they are so to me an 18 year old with a 40 year old brother is nothing out of the ordinary.

A 20 year age difference would be believable, but not a 40 year age gap.

Kirk Douglas did not look Jewish, but Dean Martin was clearly Italian.

• In this article, Dean Martin remembers Duke’s resilience:

“ … Someone else would have laid around, feeling sorry for himself, for a year. But Duke, he just doesn't know how to be sick. He's recuperating the hard way. He's two loud-speaking guys in one. Me, when people see me, they sometimes say, 'Oh, there goes Perry Como.' But there's only one John Wayne, and nobody makes any mistakes about that …”

John Wayne ‘screamed in fury’ when caught using oxygen mask on set
    John Wayne lived out his tough big-screen persona in real life, according to his The Sons of Katie Elder co-star Dean Martin. Duke continued doing his own…
    www.express.co.uk

• In this article, Dean Martin remembers Duke’s resilience:

“ … Someone else would have laid around, feeling sorry for himself, for a year. But Duke, he just doesn't know how to be sick. He's recuperating the hard way. He's two loud-speaking guys in one. Me, when people see me, they sometimes say, 'Oh, there goes Perry Como.' But there's only one John Wayne, and nobody makes any mistakes about that …”

https://www.express.co.uk/ente…n-The-Sons-of-Katie-Elder

I heard Wayne was displeased by Martin's support for Zionist terrorists in Palestine. It caused a major uproar when he and Jerry Lewis appeared at the London Palladium.