She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (1949)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 200 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Re: She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (1949)

I'm doing She Wore a Yellow Ribbon pictures over at the Ben page this week (benjohnsonscreencaps.shutterfly.com). First a candid shot of John Wayne, John Ford and Ben Johnson. Tomorrow I plan to re-post two pictures already posted here by Lasbugas, who I think may have the biggest John Wayne collection on the planet. ;) The rest of the week will be scans of the latest SWAYR additions to my collection. :)

I don't think I've posted this before, but I keep meaning to.

During the scene where Tom Tryon (Quayne) is telling JW and the rest about being "ringed" by the Indians, while waiting for help that never came, McCarthy interrupts him.

While McCarthy is spouting off about it being Red Shirt (until Quayne cuts him off), the soldier sitting over Quayne's shoulder in this shot is MOUTHING everything McCarthy is saying AS he's saying it!!

Everytime I watch this scene I wonder how Pappy or Wingate Smith (assistant director and JF's brother-in-law) never caught it!!

Watch the scene, and be amazed!! It's unreal!

The Tennesseean wrote:

I don't think I've posted this before, but I keep meaning to.

During the scene where Tom Tryon (Quayne) is telling JW and the rest about being "ringed" by the Indians, while waiting for help that never came, McCarthy interrupts him.

While McCarthy is spouting off about it being Red Shirt (until Quayne cuts him off), the soldier sitting over Quayne's shoulder in this shot is MOUTHING everything McCarthy is saying AS he's saying it!!

Everytime I watch this scene I wonder how Pappy or Wingate Smith (assistant director and JF's brother-in-law) never caught it!!

Watch the scene, and be amazed!! It's unreal!

Oh, man. I'll have to dig the movie out this weekend, and watch it. Never notice that.
      Kevin - Moderator/Administrator
      jwayne.com

Great picture, Paula. And, I believe, there is his "brand new silver watch just given him by "C" troop"......loved that part....his getting someone to read it for him almost every time, LOL!

Paula wrote:

From a vintage still in my collection. :)

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

SUPER , clear picture of Frankie McGrath. Unusual. Thanks, Paula. Those are hard to find! KEITH

Paula wrote:

One more...sorry about the gunk on John Wayne's face. It's stuck there and I can't get it off without damaging the photo.

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

This article about She Wore a Yellow Ribbon appeared in the Summer 1977 issue of Grand Illusions, the newspaper of the Emerson College Film Society. Nowadays the author, John Gallagher, is a very busy filmmaker -- writer, producer, director -- and teacher. His website is here: http://www.johnandrewgallagher.com/official-website#!__official-website

Dear Lasbugas,

Funny you should post that. Or should I say, serendipity. :) I just obtained another, better vintage copy of this that is just like the one you posted... so, you just saved me having to post it! ;)

I also got a better (vintage) copy of the funeral scene that does not have anything obstructing John Wayne's face and I will get around to scanning that and posting it eventually.