There are 11 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 14,492 times. The latest Post () was by BatjacAuburn.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• JIM HUTTON

Information from IMDb

Date of birth
    31 May 1934
    Binghamton, New York, USA

Date of death
    2 June 1979
    Los Angeles, California, USA. (liver cancer)

Sometimes Credited As:
    Dana J. Hutton / James Hutton

Birth name
    Dana James Hutton

Height
    6' 5" (1.96 m)

Spouse
    ? (? - ?) (divorced) 1 son

Trivia
    Father of actor Timothy Hutton.

Mini Biography-1
    In Hutton's early career, he was romantically paired with Paula Prentiss in 4 consecutive films: Where the Boys Are (1960), The Honeymoon Machine (1960), Bachelor in Paradise (1961) and The Horizontal Lieutenant (1962). According to Prentiss in her DVD narrative to Where the Boys Are (1960), they were paired because they were at the time Hollywood's tallest contract players (he at 6' 5" and she at 5' 10").
    IMDb mini-biography by shino

Mini Biography-2
    from Leonard Maltin's Movie Encyclopedia:
    This gangly, boyish leading man was discovered by director Douglas Sirk, who saw him performing in Germany while the young actor was stationed there with the U.S. Army. Equally capable in both action and comic fare, but especially winning in the latter, Hutton appeared in Sirk's A Time to Love and a Time to Die (1958, his first film), Where the Boys Are (1960, his first hit), The Horizontal Lieutenant (1962), Major Dundee, The Hallelujah Trail Never Too Late (all 1965), Walk, Don't Run (1966), The Green Berets (1968), Hellfighters (1969), andThe Psychic Killer (1975). In the latter part of his regrettably brief career, Hutton found his services most in demand on the small screen; he was especially winning as the likable, absent-minded supersleuth Ellery Queen in the TV series of the same name (1975-76). Sadly, he didn't live to see his son Timothy win his Oscar in 1981.
    Copyright © 1994 Leonard Maltin, used by arrangement with Signet, a division of Penguin Putnam, Inc.

Personal Quotes
    My one ambition has nothing to do with acting. I hope to establish a kennel near the ocean and raise prize Silver German Shepherd dogs. You see, I'm used to having a house to myself and can't adjust to apartment dwelling and the closeness of well-meaning neighbors. Everyone worries about a man living alone. When I return from work, I find pies, cakes and pots of spaghetti cooked by those who are convinced I'll starve to death. - 1964

Filmography
    Actor
    1. Butterflies (1979) (TV) .... Leonard Dean
    2. "Disneyland"
    ... aka Disney's Wonderful World (USA: new title)
    ... aka The Disney Sunday Movie (USA: new title)
    ... aka The Magical World of Disney (USA: new title)
    ... aka The Wonderful World of Disney (USA: new title)
    ... aka Walt Disney (USA: new title)
    ... aka Walt Disney Presents (USA: new title)
    ... aka Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color (USA: new title)
    - Sky Trap (1979) TV Episode
    3. Flying High (1978) (TV) .... Paul Mitchell
    4. The Sky Trap (1978) (TV)
    5. "One Day at a Time"
    - The Older Man: Part 4 (1977) TV Episode .... Dr. Paul Curran
    - The Older Man: Part 3 (1977) TV Episode .... Dr. Paul Curran
    - The Older Man: Part 2 (1977) TV Episode .... Dr. Paul Curran
    - The Older Man: Part 1 (1977) TV Episode .... Dr. Paul Curran
    6. Psychic Killer (1975) .... Arnold Masters
    ... aka The Kirlian Effect
    ... aka The Kirlian Force
    7. "Ellery Queen" (1975) TV Series .... Ellery Queen
    ... aka The Adventures of Ellery Queen
    8. Ellery Queen (1975) (TV) .... Ellery Queen
    ... aka Too Many Suspects (USA: reissue title)
    9. "Ironside"
    ... aka The Raymond Burr Show (USA: syndication title)
    - The Far Side of the Fence (1974) TV Episode .... Matt Black
    10. The Underground Man (1974) (TV) .... Stanley Broadhurst
    11. "Marcus Welby, M.D."
    ... aka Robert Young, Family Doctor
    - The Mugging (1974) TV Episode .... George Wainwright
    12. Nightmare at 43 Hillcrest (1974) (as James Hutton) .... Greg Leyden
    13. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973) (TV) .... Alex Farnham
    ... aka Nightmare (Europe: English title: video box title)
    14. "Love, American Style"
    - Love and the Golden Memory/Love and the Heavy Set/Love and the Novel/Love and the See-Through Mind/Love and the Seven-Year Wait (1973) TV Episode .... (segment "Love and the Novel")
    - Love and the Plane Truth/Love and the Scroungers/Love and the Small Wedding (1972) TV Episode .... (segment "Love and the Small Wedding")
    - Love and the Cake/Love and Murphy's Bed/Love and the Neighbor/Love and the Serious Wedding (1971) TV Episode .... John (segment "Love and Murphy's Bed")
    15. Captain Newman, M.D. (1972) (TV) .... Captain Newman
    16. Wednesday Night Out (1972) (TV)
    17. Call Holme (1972) (TV) .... Lt. Frank Hayward
    18. Call Her Mom (1972) (TV) .... Jonathan Calder
    19. They Call It Murder (1971) (TV) .... Doug Selby, D.A.
    20. The Reluctant Heroes (1971) (TV) .... Cpl. Bill Lukens
    ... aka The Egghead on Hill 656
    ... aka The Reluctant Heroes of Hill 656 (UK)
    21. The Deadly Hunt (1971) (TV) .... Cliff Cope
    22. "The Name of the Game"
    - The Savage Eye (1971) TV Episode .... Mike
    23. Hellfighters (1968) .... Greg Parker
    24. The Green Berets (1968) .... Sgt. Petersen
    25. Who's Minding the Mint? (1967) .... Harry Lucas
    26. Walk Don't Run (1966) .... Steve Davis
    ... aka Walk, Don't Run (USA: promotional title)
    27. The Trouble with Angels (1966) .... Mr. Petrie
    28. "Everything's Relative" (1965) TV Series .... Host (1965)
    29. Never Too Late (1965) .... Charlie Clinton
    30. The Hallelujah Trail (1965) .... Capt. Paul Slater
    31. Major Dundee (1965) .... Lt. Graham
    32. Looking for Love (1964) .... Paul Davis
    33. Sunday in New York (1963) (uncredited) .... Man in Row Boat
    34. Period of Adjustment (1962) .... George Haverstick
    35. You're Only Young Once (1962) (TV) .... Casey McDermott
    36. The Horizontal Lieutenant (1962) .... Merle Wye
    37. Bachelor in Paradise (1961) .... Larry Delavane
    38. The Honeymoon Machine (1961) .... Jason Eldridge
    39. Where the Boys Are (1960) .... TV Thompson
    40. The Subterraneans (1960) .... Adam Moorad
    41. "The Twilight Zone"
    - And When the Sky Was Opened (1959) TV Episode (as James Hutton) .... Major William Gart
    42. A Time to Love and a Time to Die (1958) (as Dana J. Hutton) .... Hirschland
    ... aka Will o' the Wisp

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 7 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Dana James "Jim" Hutton was probably best remembered for his role as
    Ellery Queen in the 1970s TV series of the same name.

8b1351b064bf26d7f956ccc66cabacd5.jpg

Jim Hutton, made 2 films with Duke,

Hellfighters (1968) .... Greg Parker
    The Green Berets (1968) .... Sgt. Petersen

Jim Hutton,was another fine supporting actor,
    and at 6'5", one of the tallest in Hollywood.

Sadly, he didn't live to see his son Timothy win his Oscar in 1981.
    Jim died at the young age of 45!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• I believe people actually thought Hutton and Prentiss were actually married to each other back then since they were paired up so often in films. I used to really love his Ellery Queen show. It was a very well done series. The best part about it was when it came time to solve the crime, Hutton would look into the camera and ask the viewers, what they thought and who did they think was the killer. David Wayne played his father on the show, Inspector Queen of the police dept.
    As for his first role, A Time To Love And A Time To Die, I saw that as a kid when it first came out. It's quite a good movie with John Gavin playing a German soldier in WWII who comes home on leave from the Russian front and tried to find his parents in a bombed out area of a German city. He meets a girl, they fall in love and he gets sent back to the front. I didn't know Hutton was in it but, it's been a long time since I've seen it.

• I believe people actually thought Hutton and Prentiss were actually married to each other back then since they were paired up so often in films. I used to really love his Ellery Queen show. It was a very well done series. The best part about it was when it came time to solve the crime, Hutton would look into the camera and ask the viewers, what they thought and who did they think was the killer. David Wayne played his father on the show, Inspector Queen of the police dept.
    As for his first role, A Time To Love And A Time To Die, I saw that as a kid when it first came out. It's quite a good movie with John Gavin playing a German soldier in WWII who comes home on leave from the Russian front and tried to find his parents in a bombed out area of a German city. He meets a girl, they fall in love and he gets sent back to the front. I didn't know Hutton was in it but, it's been a long time since I've seen it.

Hi WaynamoJim, I too have seen A Time To Love and a Time To Die. It's an excellent movie and was very tastefully made. The guy who played the Professor, was Erich Maria Remarque, more famously known for the 1930 war movie classic: "All's Quiet on the Western Front."

Speaking of Jim Hutton in this movie, he was the young conscientious soldier (at the beginning of the movie) who was forced to participate in the executions of four Russian ""Partisans"" by being a member of a firing squad. Several minutes later in the movie, after he talks with "Corporal Graber" (John Gavin) he commits suicide because he could not stand what he was forced into doing.

I'd love to have this on DvD.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi

A great talent I particularly liked him in The Hallejuah Trail. I also think he may have made a perfect junior to John Waynes as he showed in the two films they made together.

Who knows what might have been.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low