The Big Red One: The Reconstruction

There are 9 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,753 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Everytime I go to Atlanta I treat myself to a new DVD. So this time I bought the new version of The Big Red One with Lee Marvin. Now I have the theatrical version and I like it but, I always felt that it was lacking something. I guess when Samuel Fuller was making the film he was forced to cut the film allot more then he wanted to. Mr. Fuller has since pass on but using his script notes and over 70,000 feet of footage they added 47 minutes to the film. I have not viewed it yet but I am looking forward to when I get home. Has anybody else seen this movie? Either the original or the new version? If so what did you think?

I will post my review once I get home from Atlanta and watch the movie.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi SXViper,
    I saw it when it was first released and really liked it, saw it on the tube a few weeks ago and still like it.
    I didn't know of a new cut or "Directors cut" if thats what it is but I would enjoy watching it if that's what it is.

I saw part of an interview of Fuller some years ago. What I saw was him telling of other movies made on the D-Day invasion and how other directors told of the amount of time spent on the beach before being able to move inland.
    Fuller wanted to keep it simple by showing the wrist watch of a dead soldier in the surf and the time that passed before the move inland was made.
    That's all I saw of the interview.

But I am a fan of westerns and war movies, when done right. A good example is Band of Brothers. 5 stars. Not a movie but an outstanding mini series.

"Republic. I like the sound of that word"

Davy Crockett, The Alamo

• Todd, you will NOT be dissappointed. I bought this when it was first released. Alot of the "added footage" is of the German Sergeant Schroeder. I watched it with the "cleaned up" sound effects and hated those sound effects because all the weapons sound alike when they each had a distinctive sound when firing. I will only watch this movie w/ the original soundtrack.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi all

I remember watching The Big Red One
    when it first came out and I enjoyed it.
    I would like to see the new version. As
    I like war movies as well, I have Band
    Of Brothers on DVD and have watched
    it a few times, a great show! Did you
    know it was the most expensive tv series
    ever made?

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• I can imagine that Brothers was very expensive. I love that series as well. And if you like war films look for Clint's new movie coming out this year called Flags of our Fathers. Its the story about the fight on Iwo Jima and the flag raisers.

-John Wayne

• I bought the box set of Band of Brothers 3 years ago it was $89.00 then but worth every penny.

HBO is working on another WWll mini series on the Pacific War. It's suppose to be as good as Band of Brothers.

I'll be watching for the Eastwood film thanks.

"Republic. I like the sound of that word"

Davy Crockett, The Alamo

Originally posted by SXViper@Apr 21 2006, 01:51 PM
    I can imagine that Brothers was very expensive. I love that series as well. And if you like war films look for Clint's new movie coming out this year called Flags of our Fathers. Its the story about the fight on Iwo Jima and the flag raisers.

[snapback]30679[/snapback]

Clint Eastwood is also doing another movie about Iwo Jima, this time from the Japanese point of view. I'd like to see that as well.

Emmanuel, on May 23rd, a GREAT WWII movie is going to be released on DvD--which is: -- you guessed it: "Decision Before Dawn." I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS ONE... :):D

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Apr 23 2006, 02:49 PM
    Clint Eastwood is also doing another movie about Iwo Jima, this time from the Japanese point of view. I'd like to see that as well.

Emmanuel, on May 23rd, a GREAT WWII movie is going to be released on DvD--which is: -- you guessed it: "Decision Before Dawn." I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS ONE... :):D

[snapback]30724[/snapback]

Its the same film, just a japanese perspective. If you have read the book it jumps back and forth between the japanese and the american story so Clint decided to make 2 films and release them back to back.

-John Wayne

• Hi all

Thanks guys, I look forward to seeing
    both of Clint Eastwood's movies and
    the HBO mini series as well.

Carl, Decision Before Dawn, is on my
    birthday list. :D

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Hi Todd, Emmanuel,

Todd, many thanks for the new info on Clint's movies. All the info I had to go on is on this site: The Pacific War. Kind a small site but has some good knowledgable folks on it. :) I'm a member there but have not been there for many weeks.

[B][COLOR=green] Emmanuel, your a good man. That movie is also on my upcoming birthday list as well as Fort Apache. I'm getting them at the same time. :D