Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,422,620 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• "Chandu The Magician"(1932)
    -Edmund Lowe' Bela Lugosi
    Plot: IMDB
    Megalomaniac and would-be world dominator Roxor has kidnaped Robert Regent, along with his death ray invention, in hopes of using it to degenerate humanity into mindless brutes, leaving himself as Earth's supreme intelligence. Faced with revealing the machine's secrets or allowing his family to die a horrible death at the hands of Roxor, Regent's only hope lies with the intervention of his brother-in-law, the be-turbaned yogi and magician Chandu, who has the power to make men see what is not there 'even unto a gathering of twelve times twelve'.

Phantom's Review:
    Wonderfully corny and over the top melodrama. The is a movie serial at it's best. Exotic locals (actually a studio back lot) cool FX (for it;s time) and Bela Lugosi at his sinister best. Lots of fun

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• "Paranormal Activity 2" (2010)

Daniel Rey along with his wife, Kristi; daughter, Ali; toddler son, Hunter, and their dog, move to Carlsbad, California. A few days later their residence is broken into, however, nothing appears to be missing. In order to prevent re-occurrences, they install a number of security cameras that will record everything on a DVR. After they hire a Spanish-speaking nanny to look after Hunter, she informs them that there is something wrong in their house and performs prayers, much to the chagrin of Daniel, who lets her go. He will subsequently regret this decision as more inexplicable and strange incidents occur, with Ali concluding, after a research, that their house may be possessed by a demonic entity.

Phantom's Review: Essentially, this film works as both a prequel AND a sequel to the original film. (those who have seen it understand, those who haven't, well, go see it) While not quite as good as the original, this film still is an effective thriller. The acting seems realistic, and the minimal FX are well done. Perfect to watch at home, late at night with the lights off. I love haunted house stories and this is a good one.
    --

• Captain America: The First Avenger"(2011)
    -Chris Evans

During World War II ,Frail, skinny Steve Rogers is chosen to become the first of a new breed of super soldier,when the scientist who made the super soldier formula is killed, Rogers instead becomes a costumed hero fighting the Nazis

Phantom's Review: I've been a comic fan and collector for about 45 years now, and while I have read some "Captain America" books during that time, I have never been a real fan, (my personal favorite comics have always been "Batman", "Grimjack" and "Jonah Hex") But I went and saw this movie anyway, mostly because I think the director is good. Well I;m glad I went. This movie is a blast. Not only are the action and special FX top notch, but the story is very well written.and all the actors do an impressive job. This is high quality entertainment.

• "Berserk" (1967)
    -Joan Crawford

Monica Rivers, is the owner and ringmaster of a traveling circus and who'll stop at nothing to draw bigger audiences. When a series of mysterious murders begins to occur and some of her performers die gruesomely, her profits soar. She hires high-wire walker Frank Hawkins, impressed by the handsome and muscular young man. They begin an affair which arouses her previous lover Durando's jealousy. When Durando is found dead shortly afterward, the other performers begin to take alarm, as a mysterious killer is obviously loose in their midst. Many suspect Monica herself of the killings, especially Matilda, who has set her sights on Monica's new lover. At this point, Monica's unruly, sixteen-year-old daughter Angela, is expelled from school for being incorrigible and Monica is forced to take her into the circus, allowing her to become the partner of knife-thrower Gustavo. Meanwhile, the dead bodies continue to pile up...
    Phantom's Review: What a lousy movie! Despite a good cast (Joan Crawford and Micheal Gough) and an interesting concept this film is so boring. Crawford, who around 62 at the time, was trying to act like a sex symbol and It just didn't work. Also, they used a real circus to film at, and whenever any sort of suspense was starting to build it would be interrupted by a animal act and the director filmed the whole act and it brought the film to a screeching halt. By the time you found out who the murderer was, you just didn't care. And the finale is so lame, it looks like it was made up on the spot. A terrible film, don't waste your time on it.