Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,429,941 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Very envious! John carpenter is a great, maverick director.
    Halloween, along with Psycho is still the best 'slasher' movie ever made in my opinion.

His Private Secretary! In honor of a friend, LOL!

Saw Psycho at a drive-in with a most determined young man........he DID stop pawing for the shower scene, though, and that is the only time that I wished he hadn't. Anytime I was alone, the bathroom floor got soaked because I wouldn't close the shower door or curtain.....no matter where I was!
    Years ago, I took the blame for a bunch of nursing students who left GA state classes to go see The President in Atlanta. So, I was stuck in the dorm all by myself one weekend. I regretfully watched THE BIRDS and had nightmares for the rest of the weekend, LOL.
    But, the one that really got me was Silence of the Lambs. I don't know why that thing got me so, but Hopkins was so incredibly believable. I didn't overcome that one until I saw the second part.....didn't know there was a first one....might look that up.

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Very envious! John carpenter is a great, maverick director.
    Halloween, along with Psycho is still the best 'slasher' movie ever made in my opinion.

Thanks, wish you coulda joined us! It was a great time, and Carpenter was an extremely humble host. Also met occasional Duke stunt double Ted White. He was in Carpenter's Starman.

• Thanks, wish you coulda joined us! It was a great time, and Carpenter was an extremely humble host. Also met occasional Duke stunt double Ted White. He was in Carpenter's Starman.

Even more envious now! Glad it was enjoyable and worthwhile.
    Starman is a strange one as its often overlooked in favour of other John carpenter films. Ironic when you consider it's the film which he has received the highest critical acclaim and award nominations for!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• August 16th, 1956 the world lost horror great Bela Lugosi.
    To honor this star today's movie is (what else)

"Dracula" (1931)

Universal's classic about the vampire king going to England for a bite (sorry). One of the best.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Beau Geste w/ Gary Cooper, Ray Milland, Brian Donlevy, J. Carroll Naish & Robert Preston. Man what a great movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poster art:

The Brothers Geste:

Fort Zinderneuf:

Some as kids including Donald O'Connor:

John and Digby (Milland & Preston:

Sergeant Chef Markoff (Donlevy)

Classic image of the Brothers:

Classic Beau (Coop)

The Major in charge of the relief column:

Perfect shot of Sgt-Chef Markoff:

The French version of "Taps" for Beau:

This image would make for a great T-shirt image:

Putting a stop to the mutiny:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• August 16th, 1956 the world lost horror great Bela Lugosi.
    To honor this star today's movie is (what else)

"Dracula" (1931)

Universal's classic about the vampire king going to England for a bite (sorry). One of the best.

Fantastic on all counts.
    Bela deserved far, far more recognition than he received. Especially when you compare how his career developed next to Boris Karloff.

• Brilliant film, brilliant stills!
    One of my all time fave Gary Cooper films. Still by far the best interpretation of this great story.
    Seriously need to be remastered and released on Blu Ray.

• Hi D/ I fully agree. I never tire of this classic. Tomorrow will be either: The General Died at Dawn or Bengal Lancers. I havent decided which yet.

• Hi D/ I fully agree. I never tire of this classic. Tomorrow will be either: The General Died at Dawn or Bengal Lancers. I havent decided which yet.

I have a bad copy of Bengal Lancers so have never watched it! Maybe it's time I sit down and 'discover' a new Gary Cooper film rather than watching my faves all the time.

• Operation Pacific thanks to a friend.
    Great movie with super character development.
    Watching Ward and Duke work together is a real treat as usual. It was harder than normall though with Duke's name being DUKE in the movie knowing what was going to happen to Ward, (Pop). Hearing Ward call him that as he did throughout their Real friendship was a bit tough.
    I always wonder how many great movies more they could have made if Ward hadn't died at 57....19 years before Duke did. Well, we will never know, will we?
    Oh, while on the subject of the name Duke, can anyone tell me how this "THE DUKE" got started? When he was a boy, as most of you know, he had an Airedale dog named Duke. The fire station men that they used to visit on their "rounds" begin calling young Michael, "Little Duke". Gradually everyone called him that. After his dog died and "Little Duke" began to get his growth, the "Little" was dropped, and he was called simply Duke. That was his name forever after. In fact, when filming, he got a bit upset if cast or crew called him John instead of Duke because John was never even close to his name. Now, if he was your friend and you greeted him on set, would you say, "Morning, The Duke"? I certainly wouldn't, LOL.
    So, if any of you know why folks began calling him that, please let me know. It isn't THAT important...just one of those little things that bother you, if you understand what I mean. Every time I see someone say, THE DUKE, I just want to know why? I want to tell them...his name was DUKE. Perhaps the queen not only Knights people, but also "DUKES" them and she did so to Duke and I never heard about it, :wink_smile: Thanks in advance if anyone knows how this got started. Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• I have a bad copy of Bengal Lancers so have never watched it! Maybe it's time I sit down and 'discover' a new Gary Cooper film rather than watching my faves all the time.

Good news is it has been released and is still available--in the Gary Cooper Signature Collection., Lancers comes with Beau geste, The General Died at Dawn, Peter Ibbetson (which I hated) and another whose title I didnt care for and cant thing of what it was? possibly Fountainhead??? There are at least two versions of this set out that im aware of.

• Forgot:

I watched this early afternoon: The Lives of a Bengal Lancer w/ Gary Cooper, Franchot Tone and J. Carroll Naish.

Poster art:

Cooper and Tone as PWs of the Khan:

The Senior and impatient Lieutenant:

In a scene that was NOT--in the movie:

Playing the flute and almost dying:

The Regiment on the move:

Officers on Parade:

Meeting with the evil Khan:

The =Regiments ""Old Man""

Gunning the bad guys:

Edited 2 times, last by The Ringo Kid ().