John Wayne's 60th Birthday

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,033 times. The latest Post () was by Emmanuel.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi. My name is Gina. Back in the late 50's-60's, my Dad was the singer in a Country/Western band. His name is Roy Kelly. My Dad and his band played for John Wayne at his 60th birthday party, in Arlington, Tx., I believe it was at the Six Flags Inn, probably in about 1967. When they took their pictures in to get them developed, the store said that they "lost" them. I know that there had to be other photos taken besides the ones he had. I was just wondering if anyone out there has any info or photographs of this event. My dad is 75 yrs. old now and still singing. I would love to surprise him with some pictures. Thanks! Gina

• Hi Gina, welcome to the board.

I personally have no knowledge of any photos from this event but, somebody here might. That sure would have been something to see, hope somebody can find some photos for you and your dad.

Kind of makes you wonder though when he photo place says they lost them!! Yeah right!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hello All
    Hi Gina Have you considered contacting the local paper to see if they have photos in their archives. There is also the possibility that a Wayne family member may have a photo from that period although I am not sure how much cooperation you will get from them. If you determine who had the rights to the film or films that John Wayne made that year the production company made have phots, I know you were hoping for a photo and someone may have one but I have not read a post that refers to JW's 60th birthday. I wish you luck in your quest and if you have time and could someday ask your father for any personal recollections of John Wayne, including details of how his band came to play at that event, I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks for getting in touch. murray

Greetings from North of the 49th

Originally posted by kilo 6@Jun 4 2006, 11:23 AM
    Hello All
    Hi Gina Have you considered contacting the local paper to see if they have photos in their archives. There is also the possibility that a Wayne family member may have a photo from that period although I am not sure how much cooperation you will get from them. If you determine who had the rights to the film or films that John Wayne made that year the production company made have phots, I know you were hoping for a photo and someone may have one but I have not read a post that refers to JW's 60th birthday. I wish you luck in your quest and if you have time and could someday ask your father for any personal recollections of John Wayne, including details of how his band came to play at that event, I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks for getting in touch. murray

[snapback]31812[/snapback]

• Hey Murray, Thanks for the info. My Dad is out of town for a couple of days, but I did find out that the event was actually a promotion for John Wayne's new movie, "War Wagon", and it just happened to be his 60th birthday as well. I am sure he can tell you more details when he gets back. He has many stories about other icons as well. In fact, we have an old home movie from the late 50's of Dad talking to Roy Rogers at the Boy's Ranch in a little town outside of Amarillo. He also tells a story of how he met Buddy Holly at a cafe' once, and Mr. Holly and his band members were telling them about how they were about to sign a big contract with a recording co. and my Dad and his band thought they were crazy! Another story he likes to tell is how Roger Miller used to try to come sit in with their band. He said that Roger was really annoying! Anyway, thanks again for the info and when he gets back in town, I'll have him give you some more details on John Wayne. Have a great day! Gina
    P.S. It's really wierd, but I got a call last night and someone told me to go on ebay and look up, Ft. Worth Roy Kelly. So I did, and sure enough, there were some of my Dad's old 45's! I emailed the seller and asked him where he got them (seeing that he was from California, and we've been in Ft. Worth, Tx. for the past 40 yrs.) and he said that he got them from a collection of one of the top country promoters of the 50' qnd 60's!

• Hi all.

Gina, let me add my welcome to you.

Thank you for sharing your dad's stories
    with us, I hope you have some luck in
    finding the photos of your dad's band
    performing At Duke's 60th birthday.
    I look forward to reading others.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.