Why You Are A John Wayne Fan?

There are 49 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 13,781 times. The latest Post () was by Tuscarora.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Originally posted by Cole Thornton@Apr 9 2005, 04:01 PM
    Oh sheesh, I don't know what I'm trying to say! :wacko:

Oh yes you do, and you said it perfect. Not only that but I agree ten thousand percent with your sentiments.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Howdy!
    Well, this is kind of a tough question! Why am I a John Wayne fan? I think there are a lot of reasons why, but, first and foremost, I think it has a lot to do with his character. The kind of man he was. I have read quite a bit about him, and what I have read (with the exceptions of the "anti-Wayne" people out there who have nothing better to do than run him down with misquotes and lies) has shown me that he was a man to be admired. He possessed many of the attributes and characteristics that, in my opinion, define a hero. His sense of loyalty, his ideology, his philosophy of life. These, combined with many other characteristics of Duke's are the reason I admire him so much. I wish I could have met him. I wish I could have known him better.
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Admiring John Wayne came just naturally to me when I was a little girl, and now that I'm a grown woman, it still does. Recently I've made a discovery. Working as an artist in my home, I would frequently try to find a movie to enjoy, and even relax to, so to speak, as "background" while I drew. Very often that would be a John Wayne movie. It came to me one day that his movies actually brought me a feeling of comfort and safety. I found that I was seeking them out exclusively. I had to ask myself why I was doing that, and I realized he brought me a sense of reassurance. I'm still kind of amazed by this, for I've never experienced this phenomenon before. Anyone else feel this way? Kcat :artist:

• Most af all I like John Wayne trough his films ofcourse!As I already said in another topic it was my grandmother on my father's side who "introduced" me to him and to Humphrey Bogart.They where her hero's.I must've been 4 or 5 at the time as she passed away when I just turned 6.I have very few memories of her which I remember fondly and over the years whenever there was a John Wayne on I always kept saying gran would've loved it!So in a way John Wayne helped ME to remember my grandma.Now so many years later he is one of my biggest hero's,collect his dvd's.Only this week I finally bought McQ at work,must've been just released here as I'd never seen it before.He has made great films,although he has also made some which I think he shouldn't have made but then other people might like those so who am I to judge?Finally I'd like to say that John Wayne was a MAN.The way he looked,the way he walked and then that voice...they don't make them like that anymore!!!!!

• Gee Sally,
    Duke was a real MAN! and he sure can't be replaced,
    but to say that they don't make men like him anymore!!

On this site, we have some real,real, men,, nearly as good as big Duke,
    Chester, Hondo, Ringo, Arthur, Stumpy, Viper,
    and even Jay,
    don't underestimate them, they may have nothing else,
    but they sure have True Grit!!

Best Wishes,
    ee

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I am a fan of John Wayne because of his movies. His movies are the way 99% of us were introduced to him. Most of us grew to love him because of his persona on and off the screen because of what he stands for, America. You can go anywhere in the world and when they find out you are from the USA the first name they throw out is JOHN WAYNE. His legacy will last forever. My father introduced me to John Wayne when I was very young, maybe 4 or 5. I have already got my 9 year old son loving JW, and I am sure he will have his son or daughter on board right here with us when the time comes.

YMHS,
    Tuscarora

• Hi Tuscarora,
    Welcome to the board, it is great place were you will get a lot of information. I too became JW fun because of his movies and screen image that is very important to me. I became is fan and even see him for the first time not far ago. And sometimes I try to imagine how it is to raise from the childhood having his movies and him in mind. I think it is great. But my experience, when I opening something new - his movies that I never seen and try to collect, facts about him and so on - is also great, because you always live with the hope that next day has some great miricals to you. I love it this way.
    You had a great opotunity to meet Duke. Can you tell us more about it, and about your father, who introduced you to Duke.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Senta,
    I apologize greatly for my misuse of words. I meant that my father introduced me to John Wayne in the Movies at a young age. Neither my father or me ever had the great pleasure of meeting the Duke in Person. Sorry again for the misconception.

YMHS,
    Tuscarora

• Welcome to Duke Wayne--Tuscarora. Also, I like your username which is a character from one of my favorite Duke films (Rio Lobo)

Best regards--C.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Thanks Ringo,
    Rio Lobo is also one of my favorites, the acting on some of the co-stars is not so great but the Duke is great as always. When me and my brothers were kids, we used to play cowboys all the time, and my name was always Tuscarora. Now as an adult I finally got to use it. Thanks again.

YMHS,
    T