Australia Loses Another Legend

There are 3 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,908 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Peter Brock killed in race accident

Nine-times Bathurst 1000 winner and Australian motor racing legend Peter Brock has been killed while competing in the Targa West Tarmac Rally in Western Australia.
    Brock was partnered by Mick Hone in the race and they were competing in a Daytona Coupe.

Hone has been taken to hospital in a stable condition.

The West Australian Police Major Crash Squad has confirmed the car collided with a tree after going off a road near Gidgegannup, in Perth's north-east.

The Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) said the accident occurred at approximately 11:50am (WST).

CAMS will conduct a full investigation into the incident and at the moment event officials are working with relevant civil authorities.

The Targa West Rally began in Perth yesterday and takes place over four days and is divided into two categories - competition and challenge.

Brock was born in Melbourne in 1945 and dominated Australian motor sport for the past three decades.

His great-great-uncle, Henry James, was a founder of the RACV and organised Australia's first motor sport event - the 1905 Sydney to Melbourne reliability trial.

In 1969, the manager of the newly formed Holden Dealer Team, Harry Firth, gave Brock his break with an offer to drive at Bathurst in a Monaro GTS 350.

Brock won his first Bathurst title in 1972 driving solo in a Torana XU1.

He was nicknamed "Peter Perfect" and later became known as the "King of the Mountain" after his success in the endurance races at Bathurst.

In 1997, Brock retired from full-time V8 Supercars racing and launched the Peter Brock Foundation, which provides support to a wide range of community programs.

He is survived by his three children.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/060908/23/10ghs.html

This is the 2nd legend Australia has lost in the space of 5 days. I was a Brocky fan, and his presence will surely be missed in the racing world.

R.I.P. Brocky

The youngest member of the JWMB! And proud Cowgirl!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Hi Bek, sorry for his loss as well. I have heard of him but never saw any of his races as I guess they are not played over here. Another I like tho I don't know if he is from Australia is: Tommy MacKinen (SP?)

Best regards--Carl.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Ringo,
    I myself have never heard of him, however he may well be. As I only got into racing a few years ago.

Cheers,
    Bek

The youngest member of the JWMB! And proud Cowgirl!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Hi Bek, I too just barely got a bit into watching auto racing. I guess I did because of Terry LaBonte. Terry and Bobby LaBonte are best friends with my Bro-in-law and Sister. Anyway, I think Tommy MacKinnen (SP?) only races the smaller rally type cars--not sure.

Take care--C.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..