John Wayne rides back into Tinsel Town

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,550 times. The latest Post () was by Tbone.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• He embodies almost everything modern Hollywood considers politically incorrect - the tough-talking, red-blooded man's man, pro-war patriot, All-American hero and, in his own words, "Right-wing conservative extremist".

But John Wayne, whether on horseback or the battlefield, remains one of the towering icons of 20th century cinema and one the entertainment industry is again fervently embracing as it celebrates the 100th anniversary of his birth today.
    A slew of events is being held to mark the centennial of the Duke, as Wayne was known.

His onscreen persona epitomised American frontier values such as hard work and honesty. Born Marion Robert Morrison in 1907, Wayne began his career with bit parts in silent movies. He went on to appear in more than 170 films over 50 years.

Even now, almost 28 years after he died of stomach cancer, he ranks among the public's favourite actors. Last year, he was placed third in the Harris Poll, behind Denzel Washington and Tom Hanks, while in 1999, some 23 years after his last film, The Shootist, he topped a Reuters/Zogby poll as America's favourite male star.

Garry Wills, the author of John Wayne's America, describes him as "the most popular movie star ever, but also the most polarising". But despite the ambiguity towards him the centennial is being marked with celebrations. Hollywood studios are rolling out a horde of DVD releases. In total, 48 of Wayne's films are being re-released on DVD, including True Grit, which won him an Oscar in 1970. A restored 3D version of Hondo debuted at this year's Cannes Film Festival.

Gretchen Wayne, who runs Batjac Production, the film company formed in 1954 by her father-in-law, this week hosted an evening presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in Los Angeles, where a restored version of The High and the Mighty (1954) was shown.

Cable channel Turner Classic Movies is airing a festival of his movies while Wayne's birthplace, the town of Winterset, Iowa, which he left when he was four, is hosting a centennial celebration.

However, some observers were aware of how much Hollywood has changed since Wayne's heyday.
    "It's hard to guess how the Duke would be received today, or even if he could find work in contemporary Hollywood," writes Larry Thornberry in the American Spectator. "It's a legitimate question whether Hollywood would be big enough for both George Clooney and John Wayne."

By Catherine Elsworth in Los Angeles

• Hi

I guess the same could have been said of Errol Flynn, Clark Gable, Douglas Fairbanks, Wallace Beery Victor Mclaglen and numerous other actors.
    I suppose on Duke's case it would be more difficult today as the western genre is also in decline.

But it must be said that Duke did make some good and memorable non-westerns.

Saying would he have been able to appear in contemporary Hollywood, perhaps the arguement should be would he have wanted to be involved in the films that are being churned out today

Each is in his time, I suppose that millions of fans will never forget these stars of yesteryear be grateful that they graced our screens and keep their memory alive as this board is doing and be eternally grateful that at some period he was here.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I think if John Wayne was alive today and in his prime he would tend to make movies that would go against the general trend in today's Hollywood and would most definitely be politically INCORRECT.

He might even be able to resurrect the western genre

We can only wish

Mike

I guess the same could have been said of Errol Flynn, Clark Gable, Douglas Fairbanks, Wallace Beery, Victor Mclaglen and numerous other actors.
    I suppose on Duke's case it would be more difficult today as the western genre is also in decline.

I disagree with McLaglen, he would have made a superb character actor if he were alive today.

• Well said Arthur. He wouldn't bend to the current trends in movie making that's for sure.

• I know John Wayne would be very favorably received in Hollywood today based on my interviews with his friends and family. He also has songs being written about him by his granddaughter Jennifer Wayne.

My next news video will be the Paramount producer A. C. Lyles talking about him. He is only eleven years younger than the Duke. Hear what is being said about John Wayne at My Entertainment News.

I am looking for writers to contribute stories and video to My Entertainment News.

• "It's a legitimate question whether Hollywood would be big enough for both George Clooney and John Wayne."

WHAT A JOKE! :stunned:

Don't get me wrong. Clooney is okay as far as he goes, but I just don't think there's anyway he is going to stand the test of time the way the Duke has.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."