Movies with JW as a Marine?

There are 4 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,429 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I know, I know, I know... Sand of Iwo Jima (believe me, I could recite it... backwards!)

What other movies show John Wayne as a Marine?

Also, there is a movie where he ends up on a ship... he's hurt but not dead. I think he wakes up to see Patricia Neal (I think) taking care of him. Does anybody know which movie that is?

Thanks in advance from a newbie (born and raised watching these flicks with my own Marine Dad!).

• Hi and welcome to the site...

The only other movie that I can think of where John Wayne plays a marine is flying leathernecks. I am sure that if there are more, we will find out shortly :smile:

The other movie you asked about is Operation Pacific.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Also, there is a movie where he ends up on a ship... he's hurt but not dead. I think he wakes up to see Patricia Neal (I think) taking care of him. Does anybody know which movie that is?

Hello and welcome to the board, mkhouck. The movie you are talking about is In Harm's Way with Kirk Douglas and Patricia O'Neal. Duke leads a Task Force against The Japanese and is injured when his ship is Blown to bits. When he wakes up, he is on another ship and Patricia (who is a nurse and his girlfriend) is there to to take care of him.
    I hope this helps.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Besides Sands of Iwo Jima (1949) and Flying Leathernecks (1951), there is also Without Reservations (1946), featuring Duke as an off-duty Marine traveling across country by bus.

And, yes the movie with Pat Neal as a nurse caring for a wounded Duke is indeed In Harm's Way (1965).

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Flying Leathernecks, is another Duke as a Marine. This film also has another favorite of mine in it--besides Jay C. Flippen---and he is: Robert Ryan.

Sorry EJ, I had not noticed you posted this title already.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..