General "RIP" announcements that might be of interest

There are 3,145 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,161,196 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Child actress Edith Fellows, 88, died June 26 at the Motion Picture Home in Woodland Hills, CA. At 5 she co-starred with Tom Mix in "Rider of Death Valley", and later with Jack Hoxie and two with Gene Autry in '42 when she was a teenager.

RIP Edith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Betty Ford, the former First Lady who co-founded the famous recovery center in her name, died Friday night. She was 93.

The widow of President Gerald Ford died with family at her bedside, CNN reports. There was no immediate cause of death.

"She has been an inspiration to so many through her efforts to educate women about breast cancer and her wonderful work at the Betty Ford Center," said former First Lady Nancy Reagan in a statement. "She was Jerry Ford’s strength through some very difficult days in our country’s history, and I admired her courage in facing and sharing her personal struggles with all of us."

As First Lady, Ford focused her attention on handicapped children, women's issues and the arts, having studied modern dance at Bennington College in Vermont. She also strongly supported the Equal Rights Amendment.

After undergoing radical surgery for breast cancer in 1974, she advocated for increased public awareness of the disease. "Maybe if I as First Lady could talk about it candidly and without embarrassment, many other people would be able to as well," she said.

Similarly, in the second of her two memoirs, Betty: A Glad Awakening, Ford revealed in candid detail her own recovery from chemical dependency in the 1970s. She helped establish the Betty Ford Center at Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, Calif., where she and her husband spent their retirement years.

The center opened in 1982 and is still one of the leading facilities of its kind. After Gerald left the White House, Ford remained an activist for children, the arts, and breast cancer, arthritis and AIDS research.

According to her Gerald Ford Library official biography, the former Elizabeth Ann "Betty" Bloomer was born in Chicago and raised in Grand Rapids, Mich., where in 1947 she met Gerald Ford, then a young Navy lieutenant returning to start a law practice after his tour of duty. The two were wed in 1948, two weeks before he was elected to his first term in Congress.

She is survived by their four children: Michael, born in 1950; John, 1952; Steven, 1956; and Susan, 1957; as well as five granddaughters and two grandsons.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,1185827,00.html

• Actor GD Spradlin died.

He was actually a pretty good character actor. First time I saw him in one of Jack Webb's "Dragnet 1987" as a con artist attemping to get people to join NALE (National Association of Law Enforcement) who got caught in the act by Joe Friday. He was also the senator in "Godfather II." He was in a lot more movies and guest-starred in many TV series.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• He also played a character that was supposed to be Cowboys head coach Tom Landry in the thinly veiled sendup of them and pro football in "North Dallas Forty..."

In another memorable Dragnet role, he played an ex-con burglar who keep pulling jobs so he could be sent back up! He was the catcher for the prison baseball team, and a new, young pitcher was in the joint, and he wanted to "bring him along" with his training!!

• Rest in Peace to them all. G.D. Spradlin came to my ttention in a good James Garner movie called: Tank. I think he was the Sheriff who was going nuts trying to stop Garner and Civilian Sherman Tank crew .

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..