The Greatest Western Never Made

There are 35 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,739 times. The latest Post () was by arthurarnell.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• 2pm The Slash M Ranch.
    Mary McDonnell was busy in the kitchen supervising the arrangements needed to meet her husbands guests who were expected at any time in the next few minutes. She had made sure that the best china had been set out in the main room and was berating Slim the cook making sure that the steaks were cooked to perfection.
    In the dining room Mary's husband Jim McDonnell looked at the beautifully set dinner table.
    "Hmph!" he muttered.
    Mary entered the room.
    "What did you say dear"
    McDonnell turned to her.
    "I said its stuff and nonsense", time was when business associates called you got out the whiskey and cigars took your coat and boots off and made yourselfs comfortable around the fire. No it's all the finery out and drinking tea from china cups around a table", he snorted again.
    "All nonsense"
    Mary Laughed.
    "But we are civilised now, and we have a position in the community to live up to, so be polite and treat your guests correctly".
    Before the conversation could be continued the bell rung and Dan Morgan the owner of the Circle D entered.
    A tall man standing over six feet, a Scot with a soft accent Morgan cut an imposing figure dressed in a tweed jacket, he was a part of the new breed of owner who had brought his way into ranching after leaving the cold, damp air of Scotland swapping it for the warm dry air of Colarado to improve his bronchial condition.
    Walking over he kissed Mary gently on the cheek saying
    "Gud day to you lassie".
    He then shook hands with Jim nodding as he did.
    "Gud day".
    Within a minute the bell rang again and Jim's third guest Jack Betts, the owner of the J Bar Ranch entered the room.
    Betts as tall as the other two men, red headed and known for his hot headed temper like McDonnell had worked his way to his success starting the ranch as a small concern and building it up.
    He nodded curtly.
    "Morgan"
    Dan nodded,
    "Gud day Bettes".
    Jack turned to Mary.
    "It is a pleasure to be invited to your house Ma'am" and lastly
    "Jim"
    Mary turned on the charm',
    "Lunch will be served shortly gentlemen, I hope you'll join me in a glass of sherry."
    Morgan ever the gentleman smiled.
    "I would be delighted, thank you"
    Both Jim and Jack showed that a double whiskey would have been preferable but seeing the severe look on Mary's face accepted without a murmur.
    An hour and a half later lunch was over and the three men now without Mary, could be at their ease.
    Jim stood up and taking a match he lit his cigar.
    "I've invited you both here to make a proposal. In the past we have worked for ourselves when it comes to getting our cattle to the rail head,
    Now I think I have come up with a better way".
    Morgan paused as he was lighting his cigar.
    "I'm listening"
    "So am I", said Bettes.
    Jim hesitated running his finger over the slight scar on his cheek.
    "How would it be if we put our herds together and made one huge drive then divi the money up three ways when the herd has been sold".
    A silence followed.
    Morgan stood up.
    "Sounds fine but what do we gain"?
    Jim was persistant.
    "Think about we can have one huge herd our ranch hands combined means we will lose less cows be able to fight off any rustlers, it makes sense".
    Now Bettes decided to voice his concerns.
    "Where to drive a herd of over seventy thousand head?"
    Jim looked at both men.
    "I've been thinking about that too. The mountains make it impossible to drive them to Cortez, Colarado or Gallup".
    Both men nodded in agreement.
    "We could take them south to Albuquerque New Mexico" said Bettes.
    "No it's not a good route not enough water for a herd that big" replied Jim.
    "So what do you suggest McDonnel" said Morgan pointing his cigar at Jim.
    Again Jim carefully considered his words before giving his answer.
    "I suggest we go east to Wichita".
    Bettes jumped in,
    "With three owners who will head up the drive".
    "I've been thinking about that as well" replied McDonnell.
    Turning to Morgan he said,
    "With the greatest repect Dan, I don't think your experienced enough to under take this".
    Morgan coughed putting a handkerchief to his mouth he waved his hand in agreement.
    "And Jack your temper excludes you, and besides we're all to old"
    Jim hesitated slightly
    "No I suggest that my man Cooper Flynn heads up the drive. We all know that he is the best foreman in the state"
    Morgan was first to break the silence.
    "Count me in McDonnell" he said quietly.
    "And me" said Bettes.
    Jim smiled.
    "That's agreed".
    Shaking hands with both men they made arrangements to leave. Just before the left Jim gve them a reminder.
    "Don't forget if your men are in town tonight my men will be drinking at the Ambassador saloon, I suggest your men go to the Red Horse"

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Edited 2 times, last by arthurarnell ().

• This is great! As I sit here and read it, I can envision the film in my mind, and see everything that's going on, and there is a longing to know what happens next. I can already see several sub plots starting to develop. To me, that's what makes a great story, and what Arthur has written thus far is fantastic! I can't to see what happens next, and I can't wait to see where Elly fits in! In fact, I think each of us should offer up a character name for ourselves to go in this screenplay, and see where we all can fit in. How's that for an interesting twist? Arthur is painting as wonderful a story as any of Graham's (Chance) paintings. This is turning out great! Thanks to everyone for participating.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• 6-30pm the Gale Boarding House.
    Lafe Carew finished shaving, throwing the water away he dried his face and unpacked a clean white shirt. Meticulously tying his black lace tie he strapped on his pistol making sure that it fitted comfortably on his thigh. Putting on his coat he adjusted his shirt cuffs and holding his stetson he walked slowly and casually down the stairs. As he reached the front door he noticed Miss Elly sitting in the parlour and gave her a greeting. In the street he put his hat on a walked towards the Ambassador Saloon.

At the same time the ranch hands of the Slash M were preparing for their night in town. Jeb Perkins was rubbing oil into his hair and lavender water on his chin bringing a retort from his best friend Charlie Watts that if the women didn't see him coming they would smell him. Carlos Reynoso dressed in a black outfit as always was anxious to be on his way and continuely urged his companions to hurry up. Gil Nolan shushed him to be quiet. Of all the hands only one was by himself, Ed Higgins was a loner and a bit of a loudmouth, the other hands tended not to like him and subsequently tended to give him a wide berth.
    At last the door of the bunk house opened and Pat and Joseph McDonnell entered the room.
    "Are we ready for a good time men"? asked Pat.
    All but Higgins roared their assent.
    "Well lets go"
    Whooping and hollering the cowboys ran to the corral and quickly saddling up they set out to ride the twenty miles to town.

As Carew entered the Ambassador Saloon he looked around him, the place was almost deserted, he noticed a collection of tables and took in a man dressed similar to him whom he later learned was named Dan Garret and who was a Faro dealer. As he moved further into the saloon he was met by Brady Allen the owner.
    Allen prided himself on his taste, immaculately dressed in a grey frock coat, with a knife edge crease to his trousers and highly polished boots he weighed up Carew, guessing instantly what he was.
    "Good evening stranger".
    Carew returned the greeting.
    Welcome to my saloon".
    Carew walked easily to the bar where the bartender Joe Blesdoe was busy polishing glasses. looking up as Carew approached he said,
    "What'll you Have?"
    "Whisky"
    As Blesdoe reached for the bottle, Lafe put his fingers in his waistcoat pocket and brought out a silver dollar. Taking a sip of his whisky he reached into his inside coat pocket and brought out a cigar. Lighting it he stood with his back to the bar and waited.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Edited once, last by arthurarnell ().

• 8-45 The Ambassador Saloon.
    The saloon was now crowded and smokey, the Slash M cowboys had arrived and most of them were seated in front of the stage drinking ice cold beers and listening as Bonnie Malone sang loudly and badly belting out western ballads. In a corner table Lafe Carew sat smoking a cigar and dealing cards. Around him sat Doc Werner, Matt Bowdine the owner of Bowden's Merchantile and Carl Miller the owner of Millers Hardware. A fifth chair was empty.
    Not all of the Slash M hands were seating together and not all of them were drinking beer. At the bar Ed Higgins was drinking whiskey at a great rate. As he went to refill the hands glasses Gil Nolan noticing Higgins condition said.
    "You ought to lay of that hard stuff Ed, you'll never last the night."
    Higgins shrugged him off.
    "Don't tell me what to do, I don't need any advice from you".
    Nolan shrugged.
    "Fine by me but don't say you weren't warned".
    Next up was Jug Jenson who by now was drunk already and as usual broke.
    "Buy a fellow a drink cowboy".
    Higgins grabbed hold of him and threw him to the floor.
    "Get out of here you old soak".
    Higgins downed his whiskey in one and looking around spotted the empty chair. Staggering unsteadily he moved to the table and sat down heavily. Reaching in his coat pocket he pulled out a bundle of notes at the same time saying
    "Deal me in".
    Sober Ed Higgins was a bad poker player, drunk he was even worse as became quickly apparent with each hand he lost, and with each hand his temper became even more sour and the muttering began. Finally after losing the sixth hand in succession Higgins could take it no longer and looking at Carew said
    "You're very lucky tonight stranger"
    Lafe put his cigar balanced on the pack of cards.
    "Luck has nothing to do with it friend"
    Higgins would not be put off.
    "Well if its not luck then it must be something else".
    "Meaning"
    "I think your a lowdown cheat".
    Matt Bowdin turned to Higgins
    "Theres no need for that"
    Higgins rounded on him
    "Shut your mouth or I'll shut it for you"
    Lafe took a long drag at his cigar.
    "I don't need to cheat to beat you friend"
    Higgins leaned forward
    "Just what do you mean by that?"
    "You can't play cards you're an idiot and you're drunk"
    The conversation was being watched by Pat McDonnell and weighing up the way things were going he walked over to the table and as Higgins went to rise saying
    "Why you no good"
    put his hand on Higgins arm to restrain him.
    "Come on Ed, You've had enough".
    Lafe turned to Higgins.
    "That's good advice friend.
    Pat managed to manouevre Higgins away from the table and headed towards the door but when only a few feet from the exit Higgins wrenched himself free and turning he began to draw his pistol. Before the gun had left the holster Lafe had drawn and fired.
    Higgins staggered forward a look of surprise on his face. Looking down with his hand clutching his stomach that already had blood seeping through his fingers he again looked up stepped forward before falling to the floor.
    Doc Werner hurried over to where Higgins was lying, feeling for a non-existing pulse he said
    "His dead".
    Stepping away from the body he said quietly,
    "Some one go for the marshal.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Sunday 8-45 am - The Slash M Ranch.

The ranch was unusually quiet. In the bunkhouse the hands were in a sombre mood some getting over the odd hangover, others reflecting on the events of the previous night. It had been late when Marshall McDonnell had let Pat and Joseph, who had decided to stay with his brother, go after giving his version of the shooting. By the time they got back to the ranch, the hands had informed Jim of Higgins death. McDonnell who had been playing chess with Cooper, listened quietly while the men gave him their version of what had happened. Deciding that he would wait to hear what his son had to say he sat alone with Mary on the porch smoking a cigar. Neither said a word.
    Finally he heard the approaching horses and stood up as Pat and Joe rode into the yard. he watched them dismount and begin to lead their horses into the corrall.
    Jim stopped them.
    "Joseph see to your brothers horse, Pat lets go inside".
    Once inside McDonnell sat down.
    "Now, give me your version of what happened.
    Patiently and silently Jim listened as his son related the events of the evening as he saw them. Finally Pat said.
    " Higgins had it coming pa, he drew first and the gambler had no alternative".
    Jim stood up.
    "Thanks son, its been a long day go to bed, I'll sort this out in the morning.
    If the bunkhouse was quiet the main house was all hustle and bustle as Mary made sure that all of the family were dressed for church. Buster Curtis was making the buckboard ready and Pat and Joe were saddling their horses. In the house Jim resplendant in his best Sunday suit, looked at his gun belt hanging over the chair, he looked at Mary noticing the anxious look in her eyes.
    " I don't need a gun to go to church dear. Besides -
    he added quietly
    "Higgins wasn't worth it"The relief on Mary's face was evident smiling she took Jims arm and together they walked to the buckboard where Cooper was waiting to drive them to town.

11-45 am Outside the Church at Canyon Gap

As the congregation left the church after hearing another interminable sermon from pastor Henry Langdon Jim noticed his brother coming towards him. Mary touched Jim on the arm lightly. Jim looked at her and said
    "take the boys, I'll catch you up"
    Turning to Flynn he said
    "Coop you stay with me.
    As his brother approached Jim nodded a recognition.
    "Were you there last night?"
    "No, by the time I had been sent for your man was cold".
    Jim looked directly at his brother.
    "Do you believe it was fair?"
    Mike was as direct as his brother.
    "Three of the most prominent citizens of the town were within two feet of the incident and all swore that your man drew first. Your son was standing next to Ed. Higgins was an evil man in an evil mood and last night his luck ran out."
    Jim put his hand in his pocket and brought out some coins handing them to Mike he said
    Give this to Jasper Digs for a box, I'll stand for the funeral and you can get the pastor to read over him".
    Jim started to walk away but hesitated before looking at Mike.
    "As far as we are concerned the incident is over I'm sorry for any trouble we caused".
    Mike watched his brother walk away pocketed the coins and walked back to the jail.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I don't know about anyone else, but this is great! Thank you so much Arthur for a great read!
    Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Monday 1030 - Canyon Gap Outside the Butterfield stage office.

Matt Hallam the owner of the Butterfield stage line sat behind his desk, a man with a loud voice and an energetic manner he was talking to the stagecoach driver Skeet Dawson and J.D.Fain the guard. He pointed to the strongbox lying on his desk.
    "There it is boys, $40,000 in silver dollars the biggest payroll we've ever carried.
    Dawson looked long and hard at the box.
    "It's a small box for that much money boss".
    "I'll say it is said Fain".
    Hallam lit a huge cigar and took a long draw.
    At two this afternoon you set of for Albuquerue. Make sure you take plenty of ammunition and plan your route and stops carefully.
    "Sure will boss, you can count on us".
    As the two prepared to leave, Hallam called them back.
    "By the way you will have two passengers, the father and daughter you brought in to town on Friday".
    Dawson rubbed his chin.
    "With all that money is that wise".
    "We're a passenger line" Hallam answered.
    "Besides it might be good cover"
    Watching the look of bemusement on the two mens faces, he explained.
    "Who will suspect that we will be carrying passengers with all of that bullion."
    As the two men left the office they both failed to notice the two strangers leaning on the hitching rail and who on account of Hallam's loud voice and the fact that during the entire conversation the office door had remained open, overheard every word that had been spoken.
    George Clay turned to to his companion Lance Hall, speaking quietly he said,
    "40,000 dollars in silver, I think my brother will be interested in this,Lets move".
    Hall nodded his agreement quickly untying their horses the galloped out of town.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• 12-45 In the hills.
    High in the hills on a rock which gave a perfect view of a canyon gorge Pace Gordon sat lazily reclined, his winchester lay by his side. In the distance he could see a faint dust cloud and sitting up he realized that it was getting closer. He rose to his feet and taking his hat off he used it to shield his eyes from the sun. Slowly he made out the two figures of George Clay and Lance Hall. Waving his rifle at them in greeting he watched them ride past, waited a little longer to make certain that they had not been followed and returned to camp.
    The outlaws camp consisted of a run down shack inside of which Black Sam Clay the leader of the gang was playing solataire. On a bed Monte Fain the final member of the gang was sleeping restlessly.
    On hearing the approaching horses Clay stood up kicked Fain awake and went out into the sunlight and stood on the porch.
    The two outlaws dismounted hitched their horses to the rail and went inside followed by Clay. Once inside they told Clay of the events of the morning. Sam Clay listened in silence and when they had finished he took a battered map out of his waistcoat pocket, sitting at the rickety table he studied the map in silence, a silence disturbed only by the arrival of Gordon. Finally after a few minutes Clay stood up.
    Pointing to a way station he said.
    "I reckon if they're on time they'll rest up here overnight, and by mid day tomorrow they'll be here"
    He stubbed his finger at a small mountain gorge.Turning round to his gang he continued.
    "And that is where we are going to hit em".

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• 1330 Canyon Gap outside of the Gale Boarding House.

Lafe Carew was relaxing sitting in a comfortable chair on the boardwalk outside of the Boarding House enjoying a long Havana cigar. Up the street he could see the stage getting ready for the 2 o'clock run to Albuquerque. Hearing voices he stood up and looking through the window of the boarding house he could see Miss Elly and her father walking down the stairs carrying their luggage. He went inside and tipping his hat said,
    "Good afternoon ma'am",
    Holding out his hand he took hold of her case,
    "Let me handle that"
    Elly smiled and thanked him.
    As they walked up the street in silence, suddenly Elly turned to Lafe.
    "You're not coming with us?"
    "No Ma'am" Lafe replied.
    "I kinda like this town what little I've seen so far, so I think I'll stick around for a bit."
    Reaching the stage Lafe threw the cases to Skeet who packed them away. he then opened the door and helped Elly and her father into the stage.
    "You're very gallant sir' Elly said, but then hesitated.
    "You want say something ma'am.
    "The man you shot the other night" again she hesitated.
    "Does it bother you?" said Lafe.
    "A little" Elly replied.
    "How could you do it".
    "It was him or me" Lafe replied matter of factly.
    "It's one of the hazards of the job".
    J.D.Fain came out of the office.
    "All aboard for Albuquerque."
    As he climbed aboard. Lafe turned to Elly.
    "Perhaps we might meet again ma'am"
    Elly blushed.
    "I think I would like that Mr Carew"
    Lafe laughed.
    "Please call me Lafe"
    There was no more time to continue the matter as with a loud
    "Giddiup"
    Skeet started the stage and began the journey.
    As he watched the stage leaving town Lafe smiled a reflective smile, lit another cigar and turning slowly he walked slowly to the Ambassador saloon.
    As he neared the saloon Carew could see Mike McDowell approaching. As they neared McDowell stopped him.
    "You didn't take the stage"
    "No Marshall as I told Miss Elly, I like this town, and I think I'll set down for a spell".
    With no hint or threat in his voice McDowell looked straight at Lafe.
    "This is a friendly town I don't want a repeat of Saturday night".
    Lafe smiled,
    "Don't worry Marshall they'll be no trouble from me".
    McDowell nodded to him.
    "Good day to you".

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Tuesday 1-30pm Dead Mens Gorge.

Sitting on a large rock high above the gorge, Lance Hall watched intently for any signs of a dust cloud that would herald the approach of the stage. Below Sam Clay and the remainder of the gang waited discussing the plan and what they intended to do with their share of the gold. Suddenly Hall shouted down that the stage was approaching. Mounting their horses the outlaws took cover.
    Aboard the stage Skeet Dawson viewed the entrance of the gorge with apprehension, looking at J.D he said.
    "You'd better make sure that rifle is loaded. I won't be happy until we're through the gorge."
    J.D. checked his winchester.
    "I'm ready for anything".
    As the stagcoach entered the gorge the outlaws let it go by and then set off in pursuit firing wildly.
    Skeet urged the team in a full gallop, while J.D swivelled round and finding a good firing position fired. His first two shots had no effect but his third saw Pace Gordon fall headlong over his horse sending both crashing to the floor, struggling the horse regained its feet, leaving Gordon a silent heap on the ground. J.D. gave a contented grunt.
    "That's one" he said.
    Sam Clay who was in front of the rest, narrowed the distance between him and the stage. Taking the best aim he could he fired. His bullet found its mark. Dropping his winchester J.D slumped forward falling from the box between the horses and the wheels of the coach. Inside Miss Elly and her father held on grim as the speeding coach threw them from side to side.
    The other outlaws soon caught up with their leader and fired shot after shot into the coach. one bullet had to find its mark and eventually Skeet became the second victim. Now driverless the coach raced headlong down the gorge before somersaulting over and coming to rest lying on its side a crumpled wreck.
    The outlaws quickly dismounted and running over to the coach grabbed hold of the strong box. George Clay wrenched open the door of the coach looking inside he turned to his brother.
    "No survivors"
    Mounting the four surviving members of the gang rode away.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Thanks Arthur for the part!

The whole thing is great reading - Oscars all round - especially for the writer

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Thursday Noon Canyon Gap

In the Butterfield Stage Company Office the manager was worried, only three minutes before Dave Owens the telegraph messenger had brought him a telegram telling him that the stage to Albuquerque was badly overdue, pacing up and down with a dizzy mess of thoughts racing through his head he could only imagine the worst.
    On the edge of town two men rode slowly towards the main street. Chris Tanner and Webb Barclay were deputy United States Marshalls and it quickly became evident that they were heading for the Butterfield Stage office.
    Bringing their horses to a halt the pair dimounted and after hitching their horses the two deputies walked into the office. Seeing the badges on their waistcoats the stage manager moved towards them.
    "What's happened?" he asked quickly,
    and then almost desperately added.
    "Have you any news?"
    Tanner introduced himself and Barclay.
    "We came across your stagecoach yesterday"
    "Where?"
    Tanner and Barclay sat down.
    "Half way up Dead Man's Gorge"
    Barclay spoke for the first time.
    "We found one man just inside the Gorge, the man we think was the driver was lying about a hundred yards from where we found the coach which was lying on its side."
    "And the passengers?"
    "They were still inside the coach" said Tanner.
    The manager hesitated -
    "Were th ...
    Tanner nodded
    "There were no survivors".
    "And the silver"
    "We didn't see any sign of silver".
    The manager slumped into his chair holding his head in his hands.
    "My two best men dead, a fortune in silver stolen, I'm ruined".
    Tanner stood up, slowly he said.
    "We buried all five bodies in the Gorge it seemed the easiest thing to do".
    The manager looked up puzzled.
    "Five bodies?
    "We forgot to mention, one of the outlaws was killed".
    Barclay and Tanner made to move toward the door, Tanner turned round.
    "We need to talk to marshall McDonnell, sorry to bring you such bad news".
    The two deputies left the stage office and headed down the street towards the jailhouse.
    Mike McDonnell met them at the door.
    "I've just heard the news" he said.
    Tanner reached into his waistcoat pocket and brought out a folded piece of paper. Opening it he handed it to McDonnell."
    "This is the outlaw who was killed at the hold-up"
    Mike looked at the wanted poster and the face of Pace Gordon".
    Handing the flyier back to tanner he said.
    "Last I heard Gordon was running with Sam Clay's gang.
    Barclay spoke,
    "That's what we heard, any idea where to find them?.
    McDonnell thought for a moment.
    "I believe their holed up in the hills somewhere" he replied.
    Tanner pushed his hat back with his finger.
    "Then that's where we'll start".
    As both men left McDonnell called after them
    "If ther's anything I can do don't hesitate.
    Tanner nodded.
    "Thank's we will".
    As the two deputies walked slowly to their horses Tanner turned to Barclay.
    "I think we have a problem".
    Barclay nodded agreement.
    "I think we do.

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Friday 3 pm Somewhere near the four corners.

The hot desert sun that had been beating down intermianably all day was beginning to abate as the late afternoon began to give way toward early evening. A lone vulture circled overhead as the lone wagon slowly made its way through the desert. George Clay was hot, irritable and restless. Looking up at the vulture he muttered.
    "Just a little bit closer and you're meat".
    Monty Fain shook the reins but the mules made no response.
    Clay was in a mood. For two days the wagon has been travelling toward the Four Corners while he was sitting on a hard wagon bench, his brother was in Denver depositing the stolen forty thousand dollars in silver less the one hundred dollars he had used to buy several barrels of cheap rot gut whiskey that the two men were carrying in the wagon.
    Fain was also angry, and fed up with Clay's bellyaching.
    "We'll be near the reservation in a couple of hours".
    Clay nodded.
    "Yeah we'll camp a couple of miles outside and wait till dark".
    Five hours later they had reached their destination, and had camped sitting by a large fire.
    In the darkness they heard a slight noise and turning to where the sound had come from they saw three indians come out of the night.
    Clay instantly recogised the men as Medicine Elk, Many Horses and Young Wolf all members of the Hiuchaca tribe.
    Clay stood up.
    "Howdy"
    Medicine Elk nodded.
    "You bring whiskey"? he said.
    Fain walked to the back of the wagon and took one of the barrels out, making sure that it was the barrel that contained the decent whiskey rather than the rot gut type.
    "Sure have."
    Opening the top of the barrel he took a mug and filled it, handing it to the indians he watched as they each took a sip.
    "Good eh"
    The three indians struggled for breath as they in turn tried the whiskey, then with a smile they nodded.
    "It is good".
    Having unloaded the barrels and recieved payment Clay and Fain turned to mount the wagon but were stopped byYoung Wolf.
    Walking over to the wagon Medicine Elk reached up to the seat and grabbing hold of Clay's winchester he put it to his shoulder as if taking aim.
    "When you next come, bring guns".
    Clay hesitated for a moment.
    "Whoa chief" he said.
    "Whiskey's one thing, but guns that's another matter all together".
    Fain nodded.
    "That's a whole different matter".
    Medicine Elk swung the rifle round and pointed it a Fain.
    "Bring guns next time".

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I think you'd have to have different Narrators for each of the diff ranches. For example, Richard Burton would DEFINATELY have to be one, as well as Orson Wells, Robert Mitchum and Errol Flynn.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Forgot to mention that Directorial input would also have to include: Sam Peckinpah-for the slow action scenes, Lewis Milestone for the over-all look, and also Sam Fuller-for any gunfight scenes. You include these-then you'd have the perfect movie ;-))

For a "real" example of all of these masters at their best--check these out for size:

Lewis Milestone: All Quiet On the Western Front & Halls of Montezuma.
    Sam Fuller: Fixed Bayonets, The Steel Helmet & his masterpiece: The Big Red one.
    Sam Peckinpah: Major Dundee, The Wild Bunch and my all-time most favorite Peckinpah movie: Cross of Iron.

You CAN'T get better than these gents for action scenes. ANyone agree? ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• The Slash M Ranch Midday a week later.

In the ranch yard all was chaos as the drovers of three ranches were assembled. Some loading stores into the chuck wagons while others were moving horses out of the corrall. On the porch Dan Morgan and Jack Bettes the owners of the Circle D and J Bar ranches were sipping coffee and taking in the chaotic scene in front of them.
    What they were watching was the climax of a week when betwen the three ranches over thirty-five thousand head of cattle had been rounded up and were now about to be driven to the railhead at Wichita Kansas hundreds of miles to the east.
    In a corner of the corrall im McDonnell stood talking to Cooper Flynn, as his foreman adjusted the girth to his saddle.
    McDonnell and Flynn had been together for many years and the veteran cowboy shared McDonnells complete trust, a fact showed by McDonnell placing the reasponsibility for the success of the drive squarely on Flynn's broad shoulders.
    McDonnell lightly fingered the scar on his cheek , a habit he did frequently when he was concerned.
    "Coop this drive is important to all of us, take care".
    Flynn smiled.
    "We've been down this trail many times boss, it'll be alright."
    "I know it will Coop, but all the same don't take any risks".
    Flynn mounted his horse and moved slowly towards the gate. From out of the house Joseph and Pat Mcdonnell dashed past Morgan and Betts, muttering their apologies as the ran and dashed to where there horses were waiting. Mounting hastilly they followed Flynn through the gate. With a loud ged up and a crack of the reins Slim got the chuck wagon into motion and in turn moved towards the gate. Slowly the wagon was followed by the remainder of the ranch hands.
    McDonnell walked back to the porch where Morgan and Bettes who had now been joined by Mary, were standing.
    "Well there they go" said Bettes.
    Morgan nodded.
    "There's nothing we can do now but wait and hope".
    McDowell watched as the convoy slowly made its way to where the herd was assembled.
    "Coop will be alright".
    As the quartert were about to go inside Jim noticed a rider approaching, he shielded his face with his hands and recognised that the approaching rider was his brother Mike. Dismounting and hitching his horse Mike followed Jim into the house. Accepting a cup of coffee from Mary Mike sat down.
    "I wanted to see you before the hands left but I got delayed waiting for a couple of wires."
    Jim sipped his coffee.
    What's on your mind Mike?.
    "Flynn needs to be careful, I'm hearing that something or someones stirring up the Huchacas selling them cheap rot gut whiskey and possibly guns."
    Jim Looked at Morgan and Betts.
    "The herds going the other way there's no way the indians will cause trouble"
    "There's somthing else, I'm hearing that the Kansas border raiders are building up and causing trouble. The news of a large trail drive like yours will reach them".
    Jim was silent for a while before answering.
    "Thanks for the information and I'll make sure Coop gets the news, but Flynn is a tough old bird and if anyone can do it he will".
    Mike drained his coffee and stood up. Jim walked him to the door.
    "Thanks for telling me".
    Mike nodded and mounting his horse he rode away.
    Watching him go Jim couldn't help wonder what was in store for the trail herd.

Walk Tall - Talk Low