new kid on the block

There are 8 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,313 times. The latest Post () was by theodessakid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hello the camp.....Big Duke fan, been watching since I was a little kid, just turned 60.
    Just finished watching Rio Bravo one of my favorits. Had a chance to visit old Tucson before the fire....Had my kids pan for gold on the bridge where Dude got dunked. Had ice cream in the hotel where Feathers threw the flower pot out the window. The old church even had a alter and statues inside. The cannon used in the Alamo sat alongside.....sad that most of thre old stuff is gone.
    I do have a question though....I saw a special with Harry Carry jr. when he was at the location in the Seachers when his character runs off and gets killed after Duke tells him its a buck wearin Lucies dress. Never been able to find the special. I thought it was called Along the western trail....If any one knowes where it is Id love to know
    Thanks
    Odessa

• Hi theodessakid.

WELCOME to The JWMB-
    The Original John Wayne Message Board
    where fans come to have fun!A
    Please take a look around,
    we're a friendly bunch of folks,
    and there is a wealth of information to see,
    regarding the great man.

You may find these links useful:-

John Wayne:- A Newbies Guide to Duke

Link to Duke's Movies, Co-Stars- Pals Of The Saddle and Movie Locations

H.sanada is quite correct in the location of The Searchers.
    However the exact spot where Harry Carey Jnr.
    runs off and gets shot is also probably known.

As well as the link above please also
    see our dedicated threads on
    The Searchers
    and the movie locations as follows:-

Filming Locations
    Aspen, Colorado, USA
    Bronson Caves, Bronson Canyon, Griffith Park - 4730 Crystal Springs Drive, Los Angeles, California, USA
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Goosenecks State Park - State Highway 316, Mexican Hat, Utah, USA
    Gunnison, Colorado, USA
    Monument Valley, Utah, USA
    RKO-Pathé Studios - 9336 Washington Blvd., Culver City, California, USA

Duke's Movie Locations- Monument Valley, Arizona

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hello theodessakid. Welcome to the board. Please feel free to jump in anywhere and enjoy yourself.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Odessa,

We'd like to join the rest in welcoming you to the Original John Wayne Message Board, without a doubt the friendliest forum dedicated to John Wayne that you will find anywhere! In addition to friendly, you also find yourself among an amazingly knowledgeable group of Duke fans. You are sure to find an answer to most questions, if there is an answer to be found.

I'm wondering if the special to which you are referring might be the documentary "The Turning of the Earth" which I believe is available as one of the extras on The Searchers DVD. It's been a real long time since I've watched it, so I can't be sure, but it's worth checking (even it's not what you're looking for, it's good watching). If I'm wrong, one of my compadres will jump in and let us know. :wink_smile:

Again, welcome to the JWMB! We look forward to getting better acquainted!

Chester :newyear: (and the Mrs. :angel1: says "Howdy" too!)

• Odessa,
    I'm wondering if the special to which you are referring might be the documentary "The Turning of the Earth" which I believe is available as one of the extras on The Searchers DVD. It's been a real long time since I've watched it, so I can't be sure, but it's worth checking (even it's not what you're looking for, it's good watching). If I'm wrong, one of my compadres will jump in and let us know. :wink_smile:

Again, welcome to the JWMB! We look forward to getting better acquainted!

Chester :newyear: (and the Mrs. :angel1: says "Howdy" too!)

Glad you mentioned this Jim, and it got me thinking that we hadn't posted this doc before.

So here it is, I will also copy this to the
    Duke's Documentaries

A Turning of the Earth: John Ford, John Wayne and the Searchers (1998)

Documentary on the making of _Searchers, The (1956)starring John Wayne and directed by John Ford, with outtake

Directed by
    Nick Redman

Writing Credits
    Nick Redman

Patrick Wayne ... Narrator (voice)
    John Milius ... voice of John Milius (voice)
    Pippa Scott ... Pippa Scott (voice)
    Lana Wood ... Lana Wood (voice)
    Dan Ford ... Dan Ford (voice)
    Peter Rainer ... Harry Carey Jr. (voice)

Produced
    Brian Jamieson .... producer
    Nick Redman .... producer
    Michael Rosendale .... co-producer
    Vince Stancarone .... producer
    Trevor Willsmer .... associate producer

Thanks
    Harry Carey Jr. .... special thanks
    Ted Elrick .... special thanks
    John Ford .... dedicatee
    John Wayne .... dedicatee

User Review

featuring tons of outtakes and rare footage from "the searchers" intercut with interviews of many of the surviving cast and crew,
    "the turning of the earth" is an outstanding documentary about the making of one of the greatest films of all time.
    it's insightful, well-researched and well-made, one of the finest films on the making of a film. "the turning of the earth"
    is (as far as i know) only available with "the searchers" special edition laserdisc, but it's well worth seeking out for any
    john wayne/john ford fans. for fans of "the searchers" it's an absolute must.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().