Not sure who to ask on this but--im told I created a Hornets Nest???

There are 92 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 29,352 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• They couldn't have picked a better time to play it either--right at or just after election-time--and I may need it to distract me providing the wrong ones stay in office.

May we please not drag any politics into this nice place? That nasty business is everywhere and I prefer that it's not be here as well. Someone's ideas of 'wrong ones' may be someone else's ideas of 'right ones' and we're having such a lovely time. Let us not spoil it, please.

What I learned is not to discuss politics or religion and we would all get on perfectly well. I find that this rule works online as well as in personal discourse. However, I will be guided by our moderator in this as in all things.

Do you have a theater near you that shows revival films, RK? That would be a wonderful thing. I wish we did. Although the commercial film industry was born in my home town of Jacksonville, Florida, they were driven out by blue-nosed ladies who thought the people who made films were immoral. So unfortunate. Many firsts took place here, including the first creation of the color film ever made.

We're burning moonlight.

Edited once, last by Peridot ().

• \ Where do you live, RK? I will call you and we will do the Photobucket....YES, we WILL. I will set an album up for you right now. You scan a bunch of photos and try a medal or two.....put it on a white paper. Cds are ridiculous. You have to mail them, they scratch, etc. Now, I KNOW you are not dumb...your posts make that extremely obvious.....opinionated, head strong, and "say it in your face",LOL..........that means KIDDING remember....fun to say it though. Now, besides the sketch I am going to give you, I will be giving you something you will always have. The ability to send your cherished items out for EVERYONE to see, not just someone with a CD. As for my sketches. I had only done one portrait in my life, and all my sketching and woodburnings were done about 30 years ago......but, checkout Ben Johnson, one of my latest..just started back two or three weeks ago. Go to the Sketch Prize Thread. It has a bunch of my new ones and some of my really old ones....a woodburning also. I put some on Facebook and sold three the first day....I just put them up for my friends to see.....never planned to SELL any. Also, a fellah commissioned me to do 20 from the death scene in The Shootist. I think I have ONE finished in there and a bunch of others that are mostly. There is one that you have probably never ever seen before. Oh, you have SEEN it, but, you never SAW it.....see if you can tell what I mean. So far, no one has ever noticed it before. I have watched it over a hundred times and never saw it until I did the screen catch for the drawing. I am not great....just a sketcher, but I used to make over a thousand dollars on the large mahogany coffee tables I would burn tall ships of the line under full sail shipping a rail! Hornbolower all the way, LOL! What is your phone number? Now, please, LOL! KEITH

Hi Keith, im in Corpus Christi, Texas. I moved back here from living little over a year in Houston, then about another 20 months in Austin. I HAD to get away from that super weird city. I got tired of seeing homeless people ont he streets drinking-shooting up drugs and selling food stamps and such as well as stuff I can post about.

Sent you my Nr in PM ;-)) Im changing it in another month or two to a local number but have to wait till my next bill arrives before I cna do so because I paid on a 4 month special and cant change my number till it runs out ;-0)

I am opinionated--was taught that by my Father who always said something like: If you feel your right? then go ahead. :-))

Im not tech savvy--but things are difficult for me to learn--even merely cut and paste took me awhile because--if I dont practice? and thanks to my Neurological problem--I forget easily and have to relearn how to do things--even that cut and paste. It used to greatly irritate some on other sites I was on--because I would have to ask and re-ask and re-re-ask how to do something again. My brother had actually taught me how to post pictures from a CD--but I lost that info when I moved from Austin to Corpus. I also have a bunch of pictures somehow stored on this computer--but I dont know how to find them or how to post them? Not sure how many or even what kind of pics are on this computer? they all might be from my original WWII photos collection??

You must be a good Artist--as I know woodburing isnt easy to do. I remember watching some guy many years ago--do a woodburning and then did somehting using Gunpowder--and it really looked great. Sadly, nobody int he family knows where that art went? most likely stolen. Anyway, it was a Western scene with Cowboy on Horse roping a Cow.

I greatly appreciate your sketch--but I HAVE to return something in kind even if it takes awhile? Also, if interested? I can find a few that I would like to have sketches made for. One is a good friend of mine in England who is a huge fan of Randolph Scott and John Wayne. Just let me know how much and I would be glad to pay it. I dont expect free stuff ;-))

I cant find that thread? do you have a link to it? Im a big Ben Johnson fan too. Recently I saw Chuck Connors shoot him in a gunfight in an episode of Branded.

Once I had an interest in woodworking but--I cant do that type stuff thanks to my tremors. I fancied making tables and shelves from Mesquite wood--which really looks good.

Take care--Carl.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• May we please not drag any politics into this nice place? That nasty business is everywhere and I prefer that it's not be here as well. Someone's ideas of 'wrong ones' may be someone else's ideas of 'right ones' and we're having such a lovely time. Let us not spoil it, please.

What I learned is not to discuss politics or religion and we would all get on perfectly well. I find that this rule works online as well as in personal discourse. However, I will be guided by our moderator in this as in all things.

Do you have a theater near you that shows revival films, RK? That would be a wonderful thing. I wish we did. Although the commercial film industry was born in my home town of Jacksonville, Florida, they were driven out by blue-nosed ladies who thought the people who made films were immoral. So unfortunate. Many firsts took place here, including the first creation of the color film ever made.

Im not sure whats so political about the above--I only mentioned I need distraction from it because--I detest everything about what that word stands for. Anyway, im not mentioning it anymore here. I agree that talking about it--is one fo the fastest ways i know of--to lose friends. Anyway, topic change time :)

The only theater near me that shows older films that im aware of is Cinemark. I never knew they did that till Bill and someone else here mentioned it. Im going to see The Great Escape even if the the bus ride to the theaters if it kills me to do so. I went and watched The Searchers and gave me my 2nd chance in 35 years to see Duke on the big screen. I was 9 when The Shootist came out and was denied my only chance to see Duke in a theater.

The sad thing about my area and classics being shown--is that the majority of the people will not go see them on the big screen--which perplexes me? I THINK the trouble with Cinemark was that they didnt (at least here) make any announcements on showing classics unless you happened to go see some other movie there first--which means watching soemthing new made that is most likely garbage.

If they played classics on the screen more often? I would go see them all-or most of them anyway. The only time I saw a classic on the big screen--was when they showed all summer long--Gone With the Wind and a friend and I went to see it mainly because we had nothing else to do--and it was hot outside and it gave us a chance to get sick eating too much candy. The only thing I wanted to see that movie for was to see any action. I rememebr I couldnt wait for the movie to end even though I dont hate it but--it will never be in my DvD collection.

• You're so fortunate. We have nearly 100* theatre screens here in Jacksonville, yet none of them show older films. I so wish that they did. We have 10 IMAX screens here. I'd love to see some of the older films on those or even in the larger theatres late nights but no chance. We only have boring Hollywood junk. It's rare I go to the cinema. The last film I went to see was 6 months ago and it was a Dr Seuss film. I am not making this up. I didn't even go with a child, I went because I happen to like Dr Seuss myself. It was The Lorax, and Betty White voiced one of the characters. Love her and she was awesome as the grandmother.

We used to have a revival theatre but it's been remodeled into, I'm not sure what it is now. The historic building's there but the marquee is gone. I moved away from my home town for some time and when I moved back things were very different. That's what I get for turning my back, I suppose.

*makes note to count the theatre screens to be exact, there could be more than 100

We're burning moonlight.

• Here in Corpus, they have been talking about reviving the old Ritz theater which is in downtown and its supposed to show only classics and older movies and its also supposed to be shown with dinner they serve. However, they mentioned somehting about needing some 6 million dollars to fix the place---and that was about 5 or so years ago--ive heard nothing since. That would be somehting i would go to as well. We HAD a small Independent Theater no too far from where i live--or about a 30 minute walk--and they served dinner with their showings but--I never saw a crowd there-usually 3-4 cars at most--and the place didnt last long which is a DAMN shame. I THINK their problem was that they chose movies to show that nobody ever heard of before or cared about or were either foreign movies? When I moved back here in July 2011--I only remember seeing it open a short time and the movie they played was one from India. Had they shown older American or British classics? I think they would have made it. The area they are located nearest--is within easy walking distance and safe at night-for elderly as well as younger people. Also, a few other choices for places to eat at--within 1-3 blocks of that theater.

Ill continue to support watching classics on t he screen--as long as they are GOOD classics I like. The Searchers was a must for me--and so is The Great Escape. About 1-2 weeks before they showed The Searchers--they had another title--had I known at the time they were showing them?) that I would have gone to see--but I cant remember what title it was now? After The Searchers--I THINK they were going to ppllay Cabaret?? and that's NOT my idea of a classic.

• Carl, it may have been "The Bridge over the River Kwai". I recall that I was torqued that I hadn't known about it beforehand.
    You may hate me for this, but the Cinemark complex is about three miles from my house. So far I've seen "The Searchers", "Jaws" and "Lawrence of Arabia" and will be there on 11/7 with my wire cutters and captain bars tucked under the collar of my sweatshirt.
    "Are all American officers so ill mannered?" "Mmm, about 99%."

We deal in lead, friend.

• Hi Bill, I think your correct, I would have enjoyed Guinness, Holden and Hayakawa on the big screen. Over the years ive grown to really like this movie. Im also a big Jack Hawkins fan and thought he was great in the movie too.

Heh heh, id love to be that close to a good theater. The closest one to me is called: Century 16 Theaters-or either Starplex Cinema--they changed the name recently so I cant remember what they are called? ANyway, that one is about 5 miles from me---and the Cinemark is about 8 or so--just I have to take three busses to get there--which is no big deal. The big thing for me is trying to figure out what food and drink ill smuggle in as im not paying $5 for a hotdog. :-))

• Gonna have you posting your collection too soon, MB. Just wait and see what you see in a few days.......maybe today! Keith

I know you waited for me today but soon as i got to Dairy Queen where I use WiFi--a guy I know who resembles Santa Clause--beard and all, was here and wanted to talk. We have something in common--cant stand a guy by the name of James--and another guy who owes him $200 and me $400-named Scott.

• Lord have mercy, Gorch. I think I hate you and Ringo both, just a little. There are 118 theatre screens here, with 5 more that are IMAX and none of them ever show old films.

No fair. *pouts* I searched for an emoticon of someone sticking out their tongue playfully but was unable to locate same expressing my envy of you two guys. ;-p <--- There it is.

We're burning moonlight.

Edited once, last by Peridot ().

• Ringo, say what you think is American and more John Wayne like than wishing had said it. I too say what I think, it gets me in trouble sometimes but folks know where I stand. I too am not a costner fan, Hollywood doesn't have stars like the old ones ,like Stewart, the duke,Gable,Davis people that Loved this country and the flag and respect for their elders. Vaya con dios my friend.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• Ringo, say what you think is American and more John Wayne like than wishing had said it. I too say what I think, it gets me in trouble sometimes but folks know where I stand. I too am not a costner fan, Hollywood doesn't have stars like the old ones ,like Stewart, the duke,Gable,Davis people that Loved this country and the flag and respect for their elders. Vaya con dios my friend.

Thank you Brick, I need all the encouragement I can get. There is not a lot of people around where I live that are not Lemmings. Im glad I grew up the way I did--taught to speak my mind and to participate. I cant stand bystanders. I also thank God that I was also raised watching people like Duke, Reagan, Heston, Eastwood, Stewart, Holden, Widmark and such. Even though I know that people like Burt Lancaster were libs--at least he had the common decency not to thrust his opinions on others--and I highly respect him for it and love most of his movies.

Thank you friend. ;-))

Heh heh, i get into trouble a lot voicing my opinions around where I live but--then again--I dont care because I was taught to do what I think is right. One of my favorite lines from one of my top favorite Duke movies: Hondo--he said soemthing like: "You do what you think is right? then go ahead" or something of that nature. ;-)) I think one of Davy Crocketts famous Quotes when something like this--and was VERY similar to Dukes line in Hondo: "If you think your right? then go ahead."