True Grit (2010)

There are 484 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 263,869 times. The latest Post () was by Moonshine_Sally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• along with Bogart's "we're no angels".

If you didn't like that movie, there must be something wrong with you - that was my favorite Bogie movie. Mostly because he displayed a theretofore unexpected gift for comedy.

I think he should have received the Award for the Shootist,

Won't get any argument from me there.

Hollywood deserves very little credit nowadays.

Nor there. For the most part, the crap coming out of Hollyweird today stinks.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Is 'True Grit' the Perfect Tea Party Movie?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.c…t-perfect-tea-party-96945

I'd like to know why it is that every time we see an example of success, of any kind, all the amateur sociologists start spouting their interpretation of the event. Isn't it enough to just accept the fact that it's a good story, well-told, and let it go at that? Sit back and enjoy, folks, and stop trying to diagnose it to death.

Contemporary American culture makes me sick.

• Stumpy, you are a wise man and 100% correct I think we will all agree JW was a great actor and I believe if he were still with us today he would openly welcome remake of his films. The NTG was not bad, I personally would have like to see someone other then Matt Damon in the film I have never cared for him as a actor. Mr Bridges did fine like some one stated earlier JW played the role lite hearted and Bridges was more serious and he does play a good drunk I would have liked to seen is a little less serious but it was a overall good film.

consider this if you have decided not to go see the movie its only 2 hours out off your life then and only then can you come back hear and give us your thought and feelings on the movie!!! I bet the Duke would have went and seen it!!!

Wayne

• Stumpy, you are a wise man

Thanks for the compliment, Wayne. I can think of numerous individuals who would disagree with that assessment though. :wink_smile:

I think we will all agree JW was a great actor and I believe if he were still with us today he would openly welcome remake of his films. I bet the Duke would have went and seen it!!!

Wayne

I couldn't agree more.

• This mean streak in me hopes Bridges does not win the Oscar as I don't want him to take the shine off Duke's triumph.

I don't think you need worry Robbie. Colin Firth is a sure thing mind you my opinion is he has as much personality as a plank of wood.

• Personally, I thought it was an excellent remake -- one of the best -- having read the book many times (in the years before home video, that was all one could do), I thought the Coens did a brilliant job of capturing the events of the book -- also I doubt I've seen a more authentic looking western before with the street settings and the incredible makeup and art direction.

The one person who would have thought this movie was the greatest would be John Wayne himself. (Has anyone asked Patrick Wayne his opinion and what would his dad have thought?)

When I heard they were going to remake this movie, I feared the worst (especially after the Coen brothers remade the Ealing comedy "The Ladykillers" with Tom Hanks -- and it was terrible).

I needn't have worried--they couldn't have done a better job and I hope it scoops the pool at the Academy Awards later this month. Those who haven't seen it yet, bite the bullet and go see it, playing on the biggest screen in your area as it's a movie that must be seen in a theatre.

• have to agree nothing will ever compete with the dukes version of this. I skipped this movie even though I love Jeff Bridges and the little girl Hailee Steinfeld has a big career ahead of her. but in a way I feel like the Cohen brothers disrespected Duke by remaking this

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• I believe just the opposite that the Duke would be honored that someone thought enough of his movie to remake it....

• I believe Duke would be chuffed that one of his movies has been remade and has stayed fairly true to book. It would be a nice touch if Jeff Bridges won Best Actor for same role as John Wayne but barring Colin Firth alienating Academy voters in some way I think it is a done deal.

I see True Grit is upto $155 million only another $30 million to pass Dance with Wolves and be the most successful western in terms of box office since 1979. On a 38 million budget it is bound to wake up a few bean counters in Hollywood to the revenue possibilities and we may see a few more westerns being made. A revival in the genre that is virtually computer generated free (i.e. cheap to make) is long overdue.

• I see True Grit is upto $155 million only another $30 million to pass Dance with Wolves and be the most successful western in terms of box office since 1979. On a 38 million budget it is bound to wake up a few bean counters in Hollywood to the revenue possibilities

Let us sincerely hope the idiots do wake up.

• Since the NTG was ostensibly released in the UK on 14 January, I'm assuming at least some of our friends across the pond have seen it. Any of them have any comments?

• I would like to see hell fighters remade JW filmed part of that movie in my home state of Wyoming about 100 miles from where i live. JW made great westerns but he also made some really great war films I just watched MCQ last night for the first time in 20 years I really liked it...

• I wonder how many more of Duke's movies are being looked at?
    Dare they try a re-make of The Searchers?

A few years back there was talk of this being remade as a scifi film with Bruce Willis!

• Grayeagle (1977) with Ben Johnson, Jack Elam, Alex Cord, Iron Eyes Cody and Lana Wood (sister of Natalie, but really awful on screen) was a quasi-remake of The Searchers, but didn't even come close to repeating the greatness of that movie. Actually, it's kind of lame, although it does have beautiful Panavision cinematography by Jim Roberson.

Grayeagle is available for viewing on Hulu.com.