Benjamin Sherman Crothers

There are 2 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 949 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Official Post

scatman crothers - shootist.PNG

Benjamin Sherman Crothers

Born: May 23, 1910

Terre Haute, Indiana, U.S.

Died:

November 22, 1986 (aged 76)

Van Nuys, California, U.S.

Resting place

Forest Lawn Memorial Park - Hollywood Hills, California

Occupation

Actormusician

Years active

1932–1986

Spouse

Helen Sullivan

(m. 1937)

Benjamin Sherman Crothers (May 23, 1910 – November 22, 1986), known professionally as Scatman Crothers, was an American actor and musician. He is known for playing Louie the Garbage Man on the TV show Chico and the Man, and Dick Hallorann in Stanley Kubrick's The Shining (1980). He was also a prolific voice-over actor who provided the voices of Meadowlark Lemon in the Harlem Globetrotters animated TV series, Jazz the Autobot in The Transformers and The Transformers: The Movie (1986), the title character in Hong Kong Phooey, and Scat Cat in the animated film The Aristocats (1970).

He had the part of a fable-telling convict in the animated film Coonskin (1975), a train porter in Silver Streak (1976), a liveryman in The Shootist (1976), Mingo in Roots[5] (1977), a ringmaster in Bronco Billy (1980), a baseball coach in Zapped! (1982), and angels in Two of a Kind (1983) and Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983).

• Official Post

I have always enjoyed the part in The Shootist, when he and Duke haggled over the price of Ol' Dollar. Brings a smile to my face every time.

I think Chico and the Man was the first time I remember taking notice of him. I use to enjoy that show as well.

Mark