New Non-john Wayne Western Dvd Acquisitions

There are 3 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,404 times. The latest Post () was by InHarmsWay.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I've been picking up a lot of Westerns on DVD lately, and for the most part they've been really good.

Bite the Bullet (1975) - I got this one for $5.50 at Wal Mart. It looked halfway interesting and features Gene Hackman and James Coburn (not to mention Ben Johnson), so I picked it up. Turns out this is a really good "modern" Western, with a different type of story (a 700 mile horseback race). Very well filmed with a solid script and some excellent performances. I'm glad I bought it.

Law and Order (1953)- Ronald Reagan, Dorothy Malone (I loved her brief part in The Big Sleep), Preston Foster, and Russell "The Professor" Johnson. Good cast, good script, some nice scenery and good action. Not a great Western, but a good one, and well worth the $10 I paid for it. Reagan gives an almost John Wayne-esque performance in this one. A fun, entertaining movie.

The Indian Fighter (1956) - Kirk Douglas, Walter Matthau (!), Lon Chaney Jr (!!), Alan "Skipper" Hale (Jr) - another good cast, and a very strong script with some serious sympathies shown to the Indians' side. Some more beautiful scenery, and some great action sequences. A very good Western.

Five Card Stud (1968) - Dean Martin, Robert Mitchum, Roddy McDowall - Slightly different twist on the Western: A Western "Whodunit." Dean Martin is strong as a professional gambler, and Mitchum is very good as a gun toting preacher. An above average script and good acting make this well directed movie quite entertaining. From the same team that brought you True Grit.

I also got Bend of the River, but I haven't watched it yet. I've still got Chisum and Rooster Cogburn on deck as well. Good stuff...

• I just received this movie and watched it. I liked it very much. this is a must see movie. I'll review it very soon.

I also received this movie, but haven't seen it yet. I'll get back with you, soon.

Now I've seen this movie on AMC, and really liked it. It's coming out on DVD on May 11. A great one for the non-Duke westerns. It stars Henry Fonda, and Anthony Perkins. A very good movie, and one I will get for my collection.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Winchester '73 is excellent. One of my favorites. I've only seen 10 minutes of Lonesome Dove, but it's supposed to be really good. I haven't heard much about The Tin Star.

I'll tell you, though - the Western I want most on DVD that isn't on DVD yet is Warlock (with Henry Fonda, Anthony Quinnk, Richard Widmark, and DeForest Kelley) - very similar in theme and tone to The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

• Star studded casts with all those movies,i have seen some....others i am working on.This doesnt partain to movies....but have any of you ever read a Louis L'amour book? (spelling?)....those are some GREAT western stories.